Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-16-2003, 10:52 AM Reply   
I started trying Scarecrows a few weeks back after going to Ensane wakeboard school, but I've yet to ride away from one. I'm coming around on the board just fine, but I'm having a hard time seeing the water for my landings. Any pointers on where I should be looking on this trick? Also, I seem to be falling backwards on my butt during most of the landings. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-16-2003, 11:57 AM Reply   
If you're landing on your butt, you're probably leaning to far away from the boat as you carve up the wake. Carve all the way up the wake, but stay over the board more. When you land, look at the boat and keep edging into the flats.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-16-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
That kind of makes sense matt in regards to leaning over to far, but what about the handle position? Should I keep it pulled in tight to my body throughout the trick , or maybe let it drift out a bit in order to pull me up over the top of the board a little when I throw the 180 at the end of the front roll?
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-18-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
Keep the handle low and in towards you body. It doesn't need to be tight, but it shouldn't be over your head or way out. Letting it drift a little is fine, but keep it low. A lot of people tend to throw their hands up when they leave the wake.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
Robert- I'm doing the exact same thing. I land on the board but my weight is back on my heels and I fall backwards. I think I have the handle pulled in too much to my body and that is preventing the boat from pulling my forward enough to land. Anyways it's driving me crazy so I know how you feel.
Old                06-30-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Landing too much on your heels is from too hard of a cut...I had the same problem. Matt is right, you are too leaned over at the wake. If you need that speed (less is better), get it and then flatten out some before the wake. You should be able to hold the handle at your waist upon landing. If not, you are still cutting too hard. Also, if you need that much speed, you may be throwing too early.
Old                07-01-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
I do it totally different. For a front roll, I stand right over the top of the board. I can pull it around into a "toeside front to fakie" but I don't think of it as a scarecrow.

For a scarecrow, I lean away from the boat like I'm gonna do a toeside railey. I let the board pop up and away from the boat just like a TS railey except that I'm leaned out the front of the board.
Inverted, my board is behind me by about 20 degrees because I let it go up and back off the wake. My arms are straight out and a foot below my head.
To land, I pull the handle down and towards my new front hip. This gets the board back under me and completes the 180.
You should be landing straight on top of your board and at least 10' out into the flats.