Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-05-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Do any of you use them? Did you notice a difference when you added them?

Are there any cons to them?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-05-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Mine has torsion axles, not sure what you mean by torsion bars though?
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
You would have to be talking about torsion axles. That is where you don't have leaf springs. I've had two Boatmate trailers with the UFP torsion axles without any problems. The are a lot quieter without the clunky springs, spring hangers and spring shackels.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
You would have to replace the whole axle to add them as well.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Torsion axles are a dramatic improvement over the the traditional spring/hangers combination. They are more durable, adjustable, provide a smoother ride but will require you to rip out the old axle(s) and weld on the new ones. Not a big deal, but best left to a professional. They are fairly expensive, why the upgrade?
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
The tongue weight on a boat is not high enough to need weight distribution bars (Torsion bars) Those are used on camper, race car trailer and the like. For the most part they are used on 1/2 ton trucks towing large trailers. You can tow the same trailer with a 3/4 or 1 ton and not need them. The help to distribute the tongue weight towards the front of the truck instead of just all at the rear bumper. I guess if you boat is that heavy in the tongue and the ass of you truck is sagging you could use them just never seen anyone. Mostly because your engine sits either over or just behind the axle and the tongue weight is offset by the engine.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
Brandon has got it......Weight distribution hitch....my bad.
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-05-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
I am pulling a 08 Malibu 247 with a Chevy Tahoe. Do you think I need the weight distribution hitch?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
I certainly wouldn't think so. Although your boat is a bit bigger than mine, I towed my MC209 with a my tahoe for six years without any issue. WDH is really for heavy, heavy applications like brandon said. It helps distribute the weight across the vehicles better. I would make sure that your hitch is the right height to make your trailer level and if you get some sag in the back on your tahoe that you add some airbags.

In another life, I used to sell WDH's and I don't think they work with hydraulic brakes, they are intended for use on trailers with electric brakes. But this was 12 years ago :-) things might have changed.

(Message edited by phatboypimp on May 05, 2008)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-05-2008, 9:36 PM Reply   
A weight distributing hitch offers more tracking stability as well as the weight distributing. You'll get less sway if you use one. Just don't get one with too much torsion on the arms.
You're almost 5500 lbs with that rig.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
Can somebody post a pic of a weight distribution hitch? I know what they do, I just don't understand how they do it. I don't think I've ever seen one and am curious...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-05-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
Upload
The bars that go from the receiver to the tongue are spring steel and you load them with tension by the chains. In essence they push down toward the front tires and take some weight off the rear tires.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2008, 4:15 AM Reply   
If your boat is properly positioned on the trailer, you shouldn't need them. I can't remember what the exact ratio is, but I think you should only have 5% of the total weight on the hitch. I am going off a long forgotten memory on that, so if someone has the recommended ratio, please post.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2008, 4:20 AM Reply   
I was too curious to wait. Looks like it is 10% of the total weight.

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_towing1.asp
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-06-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
Boats tend to be good about weight distribution. The only vehicle I've ever used them on that made a big difference was the XJ Jeep Cherokee. That thing doesn't weight much anyways, is pretty small, and has a big tendency to sag in the rear. The weight distributing hitch cut down a lot on the sag and helped with trailer sway.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-06-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
I always heard weight dist. hitches dont work well with trailer surge brakes. actually, the surge coupler doesnt work well with the dist. hitch. You mostly see dist. hitches used with electric brake trailers.

you can always add some air bags to the rear of your Tahoe to help with the tounqe weight sag. I used the type that fit inside the rear coil spring on my old Tahoe. They were cheap, easy to install and worked good, but I was towing a lighter, 3000# boat.

I think boat trailers are usually set up to have between 5-7% tongue weight. Travel trailers are usually around 10%.
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
I have an opportunity to get a nice set up for FREE....I had a Malibu 23 LSV and it did not sag at all. I was just wondering if I even needed it at all?

should I not even waste my time getting it? My boat stays at my vacation house at the lake however, when I do tow to get service done it's 300 miles 1 way.

I am still a little confused at how it works....how does it distribute the weight through out the entire truck?

Thanks for all your help.