Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-29-2006, 12:46 AM Reply   
Okay, so I just a bought a 1985 Supra Sunsport Skier. The boat is awesome! Engine is strong, new interior, sweet tower... The only thing not great about the boat was the wake. I bought it anyway because I figure it could be an easy fix. any suggestions besides the obvious fat sacks? I thought Supra was known for their adjustable wakeplate, but this didn't look adjustable??? Actually it looked adjustable from the rear, but when I looked at plate itself it was a solid piece. If it was going to adjust up or down it would have to bend the plate ( I guess I was expecting it to be hinged or something...has anybody seen this before?
Old     (kristin_ware)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-29-2006, 1:27 AM Reply   
The older Supra plates are not hinged. It does kinda bend the plate. I have mine about 3/4 of the way up. You can see the adjusters on each side of the exhaust flaps. The plate will flex so you can adjust.
Upload
Upload
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-29-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Thanks Kristin!
are you getting a good wake with that plate adjustment? Or are you using sacks as well?
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-29-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
you wil need sacs, adjusting the plate will help shape the wake differently.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-29-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
that looks like a clean ride, should throw a kickin wake with about 2g in it.

You will want weight in the nose, rear, and each side of the DD.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-31-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
I have a 86 comp with the same plate, some guy told me yesterday that had the same boat that if you took it off the wake would get better. Any truth to that?
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
hey kristin, did you just twist the two 'knobs' in opposite directions? (to push it down) and for wakesurfing i would want to angle it downward so the boat will angle deeper in the rear, right?
hey jon shaffer DO NOT take the plate off, if you do, you will recognize tremendous bow rise and less control at higher speeds
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-08-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
Chris
If you adjust the plate down it will flatten out the wake. I think for wakesurfing you would want to weight one side more than the other. I don't think the wake plate will help any for wakesurfing. I'am not sure on that though.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-08-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
If you take the plate off, it might porpoise like a motha trukka. I have the same plate on my Cally Pro V and was told it's called a cavitation plate. Nice boat by the way!
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2006, 10:19 PM Reply   
aaron thanks but to adjust it you need to twist the things apart?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-10-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
Taco
I know that is how the plate is adjusted.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-11-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
These are actually called Cavitation Plates. They block the prop wash from screwing up the wake. On my Centurion Elite-V I have it adjusted 3/4 of an inch up. It helps clean up the lip of the wake and has some effect on when you plane.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-11-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
The plate has a huge effect on getting a heavily weighted boat on plane, and is great for shapping the wake. But WIL NOT increase the size of a wake.....it technically can only make it smaller. Good marketing will have you thinking otherwise.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on August 11, 2006)
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-11-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
Adam, I agree with the marketing statement. Some people confuse these with hydraulic wake plates. However, without this plate the prop wash would all but destroy one side of the wake. On my boat the planeing issue is not that pronounced, although I have experienced porpoising when the plate was adjusted down more than an inch.
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
bruce i have the same boat, have you been able to surf behind it, because the wakeplate spits up nasty whitewash