Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-30-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
I just bought this boat, and its completely stock. I need ideas for upgrades and fixes. Will be using it for wakeboarding mostly. Thanks for you help
Attached Images

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-30-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
We had that same boat for a while. Does it have the hard tank under the back seat? The wake was pretty damn good with that tank full and about another 1100lbs in the boat. Nothing on the wakes newer boats are making but I saw plenty of big time tricks landed behind that boat with that set up. We put a 600 in the nose and 250s on the side of the engines and filled the hard tank. It needed to be re-propped though. Part of it might have been the elevation since we ride at 5k ft.
Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-30-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
It does have the hard tank in the bench seat. I think I'll just get the basics racks, tower speakers, mirror for now. I should probably get one sack to start out. How big of a sack can i put in the ski locker?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-30-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Maybe some real wheel chocks?

Hard to tell how much of a hill your on. Hope it's not much if that cement block is supposed to keep it from going anywhere.

Congrats on the new ride. Looks like it's in good shape. Start savin your money. Ballast, stereo, racks, graphics, rims & tires, etc. It all costs money.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-30-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
we never put a sac in the ski locker but I imagine you could fit a pretty decent sized one in there. I didn't notice you didn't have racks. Definitely get racks first.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
1) Perfect Pass
1A) Pad for the Swim Deck (the fiberglass is very slippery)
2) Tower racks
3) Ski Locker sac
4) 250# side sacs
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
List of upgrades in no specific order:

Stargazer PP
gravity games 1100# front sack
plumb in as big a sack as possible to the rear locker(may have to pull out liner and make your own)
replace all interior speakers with Polk DB651's if you want affordable, Wetsounds XS650's if you want top quality
install an amp to run interior speakers
Install sub(image dynamics, kicker, alpine, wetsounds, etc...)
Install sub amp
Install tower speakers and amp. I honestly think it is better to set up the interior system better and skip the tower speakers until you can add something good at a later time.
have a bimini made that does not have straps to the boat
add a set of board racks and a set of surf racks or some combination
Rankin or Evolution style sunbrella custom cover
It looks like the platform needs seadeck on the top or you can have it linexed?
Old     (neilspen)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 Launch. We run the hard tank in the back filled. I found a sac that was made for the rear storage locker on ebay, I believe the dimensions are 70x16x16, it is approx 400 lbs. We also run a Fly High traiangle sac in the bow. Most of the time when we got out, no one sits in the front, so it is not really in the way. From everything that I have read, this hull really likes bow weight.

I really have not had any major problems with it, knock on wood. The best thing that I added was perfect pass, made life a whole lot easier. Enjoy!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-30-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
Not knowing how much cash you have left to work with. I will assume one thing at time and here is the order I would personally go.

Wheel chocks...I laughed when I read it, these guys don't miss anything
Racks
Swim platform pad, look into SeaDek
Prop upgrade? (I don't remember what it has)
Ballast (although I have had plenty of fun and seen big tricks behind this boat with stock ballast)
Sound

Before summer - Bimini (monster cargo rack, maybe?)

Congrats and have fun!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-30-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
Best upgrade (and often the most expensive) is the perfect pass......saves a lot of marriages and friendships. Second would be ballast. I know I am not adding anything new to the party but I just wanted to contribute
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-30-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
First thing you've got to do is put a girl in it... then,

Yeah - I'd second perfect pass and ballast.

I opted for some bad-ass bullet hollowpoints 770's with a load of power on the tower, and really love having them, but even when we ride early without tunes, it's the perfect pass and ballast that make it excellent.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-30-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
Perfect Pass is definitely a must. Ours did not have it and it SUCKED if the water was anything but glass.
Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2010, 12:28 AM Reply   
You guys definitely have it in order. Going to get the fat sac for the bow ski locker (biggest i can get in there is 750lbs I think),
Racks- I think New dimension made the tower i have on now. ( should i go ahead and get racks from them?)
Mirror-
Perfect pass- I wonder if they make an Supra specific? If not which one should I get?
Swim platform pad- SeaDek should have the best product I think.
Stereo-
Bimini- any suggestions?? I don't want one that slings down. I wonder if they make a fixed Bimini for my tower?
Prop- ??
last but not least- New stickers!! I would like to get the new Large Supra decal on the sides. Where could i pick them up? Suggestions
Sorry for all the questions. Want the Supra to stand out from the crowd. Thanks again!!!
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-01-2010, 4:55 AM Reply   
Where are you located? I have a fixed bimini I will sale. It is made for the tower that is on your boat. I can give you the dimensions of it when I get home today. I was going to use it but then decided to use a regular one. Sometimes the wife would rather get some sun while she is driving than to be sheltered all the time. Im in jacksonville, Florida.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-01-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
Also a trailer hitch lock. That way you can get rid of that big chain and padlock on your trailer.
Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2010, 6:30 AM Reply   
Adam,
I'm definitely interested in your Bimini. I'm in Savannah, GA, but I have a friend that lives near JAX beach. Can you send a few pics to waverider1983@hotmail. Thanks
Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
#1. Trailer hitch lock...haha Its the original owners setup. I'll make sure its secured when I get it home.
Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
We had that same boat for a while. Does it have the hard tank under the back seat? The wake was pretty damn good with that tank full and about another 1100lbs in the boat. Nothing on the wakes newer boats are making but I saw plenty of big time tricks landed behind that boat with that set up. We put a 600 in the nose and 250s on the side of the engines and filled the hard tank. It needed to be re-propped though. Part of it might have been the elevation since we ride at 5k ft.
Do you know the diameter of the tower. I'm trying to order some racks and a mirror. Thanks
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-01-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Chris

If I dont send them today I will take some and send them on monday. Im about to leave work now to head home and hook up the boat and head on to the lake house for the weekend.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       10-01-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I had that same boat (well, a 99 launch but it is the same) for almost 10 years. You will not need perfect pass. Unlike most v-dives, your boat holds speed very well. My new boat (2009 launch 24ssv) does not hold speed well so perfect pass was a must. Your boat handles very well and holds speed very well. We filled the back hard tank and used a side sack (250 lbs) in the front locker. The boat does not need more front weight - it needs more rear weight. It is the v-drives that need more front weight because they have the engine/transmission/v-drive in the back. You have all that weight in the middle of the boat. We played around with all types of weight configurations and more back weight is a must. We sat the biggest people across that rear seat. If you only have two or three people in the boat, you need at least a 500lb sac on the rear seat and a 250lb sac up front (in addition to the hard tank). We found that to be the perfect setup.

Yes, get some racks. Bimini would be great.

One more thing - don't put more than 100 lbs in the trunk (rear ski locker). It is directly over the gas tank and it is not reinforced at all. That is the max trunk weight I was quoted by Supra.

Last edited by tre; 10-01-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
I had that same boat (well, a 99 launch but it is the same) for almost 10 years. You will not need perfect pass. Unlike most v-dives, your boat holds speed very well. My new boat (2009 launch 24ssv) does not hold speed well so perfect pass was a must. Your boat handles very well and holds speed very well. We filled the back hard tank and used a side sack (250 lbs) in the front locker. The boat does not need more front weight - it needs more rear weight. It is the v-drives that need more front weight because they have the engine/transmission/v-drive in the back. You have all that weight in the middle of the boat. We played around with all types of weight configurations and more back weight is a must. We sat the biggest people across that rear seat. If you only have two or three people in the boat, you need at least a 500lb sac on the rear seat and a 250lb sac up front (in addition to the hard tank). We found that to be the perfect setup.

Yes, get some racks. Bimini would be great.

One more thing - don't put more than 100 lbs in the trunk (rear ski locker). It is directly over the gas tank and it is not reinforced at all. That is the max trunk weight I was quoted by Supra.
Tre,
Thanks for the heads up! What size is the tubing for the tower? Looks like 2. I think I'm going to stick with the all black for racks, speakers, mirror. I'll just have to buff out the tower to make it look new again.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-01-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
Great boat and great condition. Congrats.

You got a lot of great advice from some of the best contributors of great advice.

My opinion is just my own, not better.

But I'd say, top three:
texture that platform,
if you boat under bright skies very much, then bimini,
racks.

My trailer has a flat nose. The trailer hitch lock did not secure anything until I filed the scallop of the hitch lock flat.

Looks like you have a folding tongue. Fold it and put one of those cookie shaped locks on the open holes of the folded part. ?!?! Know what I mean. Cookie shaped locks that look like someone took a bite out of them, and then the latching bar goes across the open mouth.

A folding tongue gives you two place to lock. Try two different kinds of lock on each.

(I'm not paranoid much and do not wear a foil beanie.)
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-01-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
you can build a casket sized box under the drivers feet. that air space connects all the way to the behind the observer seat, you can make that stereo slam for sure
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-01-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
oh and you can add a giant sac in the center up front where the center cushion lifts up
Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
What size fat sac do you think I put in there?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-02-2010, 6:10 AM Reply   
the gravity games bag that comes in the 04s is 650-750 i think
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-02-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
1200# http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-g...enter-sac.html
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-02-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
spent alot of time in a boat exactly like that one. awesome wake, the gunnels are sharp and hurt your butt when you sit on them,my favorite part of that boat is the opening wing windows, really helps in the texas heat
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-02-2010, 6:35 AM Reply   
and i would remove the center pylon, it takes up more room than you think
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-02-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Perfect Pass?

#1 If you don't have it get it! StarGazer if you ride on a lake, or the Paddlewheel version (wakeboard pro) if you ride in heavy currents.

#2 Racks are nice but I'd get a Z-5 style bimini first, can get a few boards up there, and some shade.

#3 Figure out the ballast. Borrow fatsacs, friends, sacks of sand, whatever. find out how much weight you want to run and where....

#3.5 and THEN get a new prop call OJ or ACME and tell them you have a 2001 launch with XXXX amount of weight and that you want to wakeboard/surf and what prop should get.

After that I would do the stereo/coolers/stripper pole (If you are into that kinda thing).

and again FIGURE OUT YOUR BALLAST BEFORE GETTING A NEW PROP!!!
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-04-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
pics sent of the bimini
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-04-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Congrats. They are a nice boat. Look into an FAE. It's much more pleasant on the back seat if you have one.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-04-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
perfect pass first. once you get it you will know exactly why!
nice boat!
Old     (waverider)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-04-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Perfect pass is a must!! Which one do you prefer for my boat?