Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-07-2003, 9:14 PM Reply   
I bought this premir DNA 140 used. It rides great but looks like it was busted where the binding attaches. I've never seen anyone elses to compare. It is smooth underneath and I can't feel anything unusual about it. Could you repair a board that was broken?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-07-2003, 9:58 PM Reply   
Here's the pic.
board
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-07-2003, 10:02 PM Reply   
Sorry the pic's not too good. I have a great digital camera, but I don't know how to keep the detail but make the file small enough to upload. Any help would be appreciated in this regard too. I think you can easily see the crack I'm referring to.
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       11-07-2003, 11:05 PM Reply   
It does look as though it is cracked but oh well, keep ridin it till it breaks in half and get a new one.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-08-2003, 12:15 AM Reply   
Doesn't look like there's anything wrong accept theres no bottom paint covering the glass. Looks like they just overlayed the graphics right onto the board without painting it? Do they all come like that? I've seen a few prototypes with bottoms like that.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-08-2003, 12:20 AM Reply   
Shouldn't it look like this?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-08-2003, 12:23 AM Reply   
It's an 03 isn't it? This is what it should look like.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-08-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
Steven,
You are right. It's an 03, should look like the second set you posted. In addition the bottom doesn't have a glossy texture to it like the top. Someone told me they thought it might be dull for better performance/less scratches when hitting a slider.(?)

You don't think there is anything wrong - look a little closer and the cracks are clear. What is strange to me is that there is another crack on the opposite end as well making me wonder if it's meant to be that way.
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       11-08-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
Not sure about the crack...But the bottom has Hyperlites JIB base. It is going to feel waxy and rough in some spots, it also has a little bit of a brown tint to it. The crack might just be a coating underneath the JIB base and not a big deal, but that's just an uneducated guess.

Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-08-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
on the bottom it shouldn't be glossy because it has the jib base and most boards are lkike that material because it is less friction so the board is faster. also is the crack under the base because that could be the wood cracking. also for the graphics i was looking at the 03 dna models at my local shop and they are alll clear because they want you to be able to see the wood. if the crack is under the base and in the wood you wouldn't be able to fix it but if it is warrantied hyperlite might give you a new board
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-08-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
It definitely has a waxy feel to it. Again, I emphasize the cracking can't be felt - it's underneath the waxy coating. It does say it has the Jib base on it. I think it's a great board but am uncertain what to tell someone if I ever wanted to sell it. Does anyone have a pic of the bottom of their board?
Old    wildman240            11-09-2003, 11:47 PM Reply   
Hey guys new to the site but have the answer to your question. I have the same board bought it new in July and looks like that too. The two dark lines in the middle are the reinforcing rods and the cracks are most likely just the fiberglass or maybe cause of the sun and fading. Not too sure about that one. It should look bright glossy green on the bottom of your board like the 2nd set of pics. posted and should beable to read the made in the USA better than you can now. There isn't really anything wrong with the board just that the clear coat and some of the gelcoat has started to fade. The board will ride fine still smooth and handles great I think. I did take mine in and they said they would send it back to Hyperlite at the end of the season and try to get me a new one if they have an 03' cause I hate the 04' IMO but we'll see haven't taken it in yet. I don't know how much you payed for it but buying it used hopefully you got a good deal. Great board should be fine to ride man. Enjoy it. Hope that helps Thanks Chris
Old    jmccallum            11-10-2003, 6:24 AM Reply   
Actually, I have a premier and notice something similar. I think the graphics are printed on a sheet of paper and then pressed together with the other layers (foam, fibreglass, etc). On the edges of the built in fins, the paper had split. The edges of the split looked like torn paper.

What do the edges of your cracks look like?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-10-2003, 8:44 AM Reply   
The edges of the crack looks just like torn paper.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-10-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
It looks like someone tried to mount the bindings with screws that were too long. I don't think it will really affect the board too much. Ride it until it breaks.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-10-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
don't worry about the cracks, they happen in the press but subsequently fill in with resin. as for the graphics, the pics in the board guide are of an early board with the solid color base. all dna boards from early spring '03 to current are clear so that you can see the wood.
Old    wildman240            11-10-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
Jeff that might be true but should you beable to see the two dark lines from the reinforceing rods too? Just wondering I have the same board and you wouldn't think you would want to see that but who knows. I do know it's kinda cool to beable to see all those diff. grains from the wood and fiberglass but not too sure. I'm also almost postive that might board looked like the second board when I bought it and it wore off after a couple of weeks due to the water and sun. I don't know maybe it's not even possible to do that I'm just loosing my mind. One more thing if you look real close at the first pic. posted of the board where the fins mount you can see the color change to what the color should really look like. What do you think that is from? Thanks
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-10-2003, 5:11 PM Reply   
are you refering to the light area under the fin? if so, that is the plastic block that houses the fin inserts. as for the carbon rods, they are in both boards but the board in the ww board guide has the original opaque base material so the rods are hidden. you should be able to see the rods, and with the fins off, the fin blocks. i've seen quite a few of these boards (understatement) and i don't see anything wrong here. i hope i answered your questions but i would happy to clarify if you have any more.

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-10-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
The Jib bases all look like that. There should be nothing wrong with it at all.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-10-2003, 5:41 PM Reply   
P/s

Talltigeguy,

You ever ride with the Chipper beef boys? The Fry brothers in SLC?
Old    norcal_99            11-10-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
Why isn't it painted green?
Old    jmccallum            11-11-2003, 6:10 AM Reply   
talltigeguy

Don't worry! It's torn paper. When I bought my Premier, Bill (Performance in O Town) explained that they print the graphics on a sheet of paper. When all the layers get pressed together the paper sometimes splits/tears... If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of my Premeir. It has the same thing only on the built in fins.

Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-11-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
If u can see the wood than how can there be paper?If there isnt then how can the tear be in the paper?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-12-2003, 5:19 PM Reply   
Steven Hahn Solo:
I don't know the chipper beef boys. SLC is about 300 miles from where I live. I'm pretty much an amateur, but love to ride.

Jeff Fitz:
Thanks for the insight. I see you're a shop manager. I was looking for someone who has seen lots of boards. Connor brings up a good point - If the paper is transparent why can it be seen when it splits?