Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-21-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
So here is what i am thinking. I have an 01 expedition 4wd. I am trying to debat what route i want to go with it. To lift it with a 6" lift and 35" tires 14.5" wide or to leave it stock with 22" or 24" wheels and tires. I am leaning towards the lifted way but not sure how the expo will handle being lifted and how much is my gas milage going to drop? Any comments on how lifted suvs tow and also if big wheels and tires affect towing at all? Thanks Josh
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-21-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I take it, it is 4wd right. If you do the bottom pic, that pretty much makes the 4wd worthless. I would lift it, but maybe not as much as the top pics.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
i had a 2000 exp with 4" lift and 33" tires. looked good and didnt really change the gas mileage. wish i had a pic ..
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
found one...Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Just my opinion, but I don't think 1/2 tons do well with lifts and big tires, unless you really plan on babying it.

Again my opinion: but /I think stock vehicles tow best and you'll get the most life out of your rear end and trani.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
buy a Tahoe
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
seriously, cut your losses and buy a tahoe (full disclosure: I live in michigan and have to deal with Matt Millen, so I can't even say the f word)
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-21-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
I have a lifted F-150(same drivetrain) that runs 36x15.50's. It tows well....after the 4.56 gears, eaton supercharger, long tube headers and all the other bolt on crap you could put on it. Gas mileage sucks at about 9 mpg towing,but it is payed for and gas costs me way less than a monthly payment cause I ONLY pay at the pump.If you lift it with no gear swap mileage WILL suffer, so will towing ability. I would estimate running what you say you'll probably loose 3-4 m.p.g. unloaded. Hard to say towing.

Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Sicking looking set up.
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-21-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
Hey Rod. That expo looks just like mine except no lift and stock tires. Looks nice. How wide was your tire? They look like 12.5's. I bought the expo so i have a small monthly payment so i can finish building my truck (classic show truck all custom). I also got a good deal on it. I would prefer lifting it. Just never had a lifted vehicle before and am a little curious on how it drives after it being lifted and the sound of the tires. How does lifted suv's handle? How expensive is it to change out the gears in the rear end? What would be a good ratio? I am still thinking a about 35x14.5 tires with an 18" rims. Maybe 16" rims. We will see. Next week i am hoping to have my mind made up so i can start buying stuff. So please keep the pointers and comments comming. Thanks Josh
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
That particular vehicle does not do well lifted with regards to wear and tear goes on the rig. You'll lose around 4 miles to the gallon have a rough and noisy ride. Your towing capacity will decline a bit as well. You'd really need a bigger rear end which again is going to cost you at the pump and it's tough an upper control arms and ball joints. I'd look at going the other way and dropping it a bit and putting 22's on it or just leave it the standard ride heighth.
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-22-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
When you say my towing capacity will decline a bit that might be a problem. I have an 06 MC X15. I think it weighs 4400lbs. Not sure exactly but i think the max tow weight is 5000lbs. Now regarding wear and tear i don't drive the expo much at all. I only really drive it when towing the boat and i would like to start going to the dunes. Thanks for your help.

Josh
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-22-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
It's not that the actuall weight rating of the suspension will be lower, it is just the added weight and larger diameter of the tires will in effect raise your overall gear ratio. This hurts torque and makes it tougher to pull a load. You would most likely see accelerated wear on suspension components like ball joints and tie rod ends. Transmissions take some brunt of that abuse also. A gear change to get back to your stock ratio would bring some of the lost umpf back, but not all of it. Towing at fwy speeeds will suck with out the gear change. The trans will hunt in and out of o/d with any slight rise in the road.
I take my truck to the dunes also, but I had to address pretty much every part of the drivetrain to get it to MY LIKING. Did gears, beefed up the trans, added larger trans cooler and radiator,and I have also done ball joints a few times
For me I did all the work myself so it cost me quite a bit less than if I was to pay for it a t a shop, but I would guess you would pay a bout 1500- 2200$ for both front and rear gear swaps.
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-22-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
Looks pretty good already. Save the hassle.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-22-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
"i would like to start going to the dunes."

You will blow stuff up doing that! No way can a stock truck handle playing at the dunes, let alone a lifted truck with more forces acting on it, that has more HP to boot. Actually I would consider it dangerous, as things can fly off when landing, like wheels.

(Message edited by Peter_C on May 22, 2007)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-22-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
stock with stock wheels is the way to go
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-23-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-23-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
Pic above. 06 Tahoe front leveling kit rear spacers 33" tires 13.5 mpg towing
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-24-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
Lift it!
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-24-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Lift that sum bich up!