Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old    alanp            03-10-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
is there a device i can hook up to the engine to find out an engines hours that had an aftermarket guage(hour) installed?
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-10-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
If the boat has efi you can hook a scanner to it and it will tell you the true engine hours. however if the ecm has been replaced then it will only show you hours on the new ecm..
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Hey Brett: I was told by a mechanic (Marc Rhodes) at WCCC West coast correct craft that what you said is not true. I to thought that it was true. Anybody else know if you can hook up a computer to a PCM Ford 351 to find real Hrs
Old    alanp            03-10-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
i have a friend that was a mechanic at a correct craft dealership in san diego. ill try to get a hold of him.
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       03-10-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
If you have the ford gt-40 engine there is NO hour meter. It you have the GM motor it should have one on it and the dealer can read it. When I sold my 00 SAN with the gt-40 I wanted the dealer to read it so I could be honest on the hours. That is how I found out on the difference with motors.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
what year boat? what engine? you need to give more info if you want help
Old    alanp            03-10-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
sorry boys 01, gt 40 im assuming.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
i am afraid with the gt-40 your screwed you can not access engine hours through the pcm on that one.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
sorry about that. didn't look at the boat in the profile before I posted. I had to get hours off of a Chris Craft with a mercruiser yesterday so I was stuck on that...
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       03-11-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
So are you guys saying that essentially, one could "upgrade" the boat's gauges and then, upon the boat's sale, potentially advertise it with false hours? Something needs to be fixed somewhere to prevent boat hour frauds dont you guys agree?
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-11-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
It's been that way forever. Buyer beware. Take low hour boats with a grain of salt. Unfortunately lots of owners disconnect the hour meters.

If your not confident on what to look for on a engine to determine the condition take it to a mechanic.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
I had the gauges replaced on my '02 SAN. The '02's had digital gauges...they were so bad (mine were faulty twice) that Nautique agreed to replace them with faria non-digital gauges at cost with no installation charges at the dealer. That's how I had mine replaced, and I think a lot of folks went this route.

As most of you know, PP tracks engine hours, you just have to know how to navigate through it. I had my PP installed when the boat had 70 hours on it, so I just have to add 70 hours to my total to figure out the true hours on my boat.

If the boat came new with PP, you can use it to effectively track hours. Otherwise, make sure you check paperwork (I have paperwork on mine stating the hours when West Coast CC changed the gauges).

Not sure if there's another way to check on the block.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-11-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
Tommy G, when did you get your gauges replaced?? Mine are unreadable.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-11-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
yeah my buddy had a 01 pro air he replaced the gauges so many times i lost track. he still bitches about those gauges an still holds it against cc for not stepping up and getting him something that would last when the boat was out of warranty. the would give him as many set of the crap ones he needed while under warranty but he knew he would get bit in the azz when the boat was out of warranty and begged them to change him over to something different while under warranty and they would not. thats why he will never own another cc and he was along time cc lover but that was it for him.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-11-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
How do you navigate through the PP to get the hours?
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       03-12-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
You CAN adjust the hours on the PP.

Tim
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
hit menu and the up or down button at the same time (at least thats how you do it on current versions)
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-13-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
Chris, I had mine replaced a few years ago through the guys at West Coast Correct Craft in Rancho Cordova (Sacramento area). They did charge me (at cost) for the gauges, but installed them for free...so much better than those digital crappy ones.

You may be able to adjust hours on PP (which I wasn't aware of), but truth be told, you can adjust hours on an analog speedo as well.

Bottom line is that if someoned wants to screw you by rolling back hours, they'll likely find a way to do it.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-13-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
does the perfect pass constantly monitor hours or only when it is engaged?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-13-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Constantly. Onlyinboards is right...when you hit the menu and up/down buttons at the same time, it there's actually a series of menu items that it will walk you through (I believe by pressing the up or down button again), including things like water temp.

I was talking to the guys at WC Correct Craft when I had my gauges changed (they said this is how I should track hours now b/c of the changed gauges). They were mentioning to me that not a lot of people were aware that you could check engine hours through PP, so it's a good way to do a quick check on a used boat, if you're considering for purchase). They mentioned that they were brought a boat for pre-purchase inspection and quickly uncovered that the claimed hours didn't match the PP hours at all.

It's been a few months since i've fiddled with my PP, but through the menu you can also calibrate how the PP adjusts to speed. Sometimes people run into issues where it slows down too much, then picks up speed to compensate too much, etc...there are adjustments you can make to really fine tune how quickly the speed adjusts. Others know a lot more than me about this, but had a friend help me through that adjustment when I was having some engine surge issues with PP a few seasons back.