Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (savvysavannah)      Join Date: May 2005       05-10-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
Looking for some good riding spot around so.Lake Tahoe.
Thanks for your time
Old     (markfromtexas)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-10-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
First off, I'd say that Tahoe stays a bit too cold for my blood, so I stay away, but there are times when you can slide on a wetsuit or drysuit and make it worth it. You can hit up Fallen Leaf, which is near camp richardson, but I'm not sure if the road out there is clear of snow yet; if so, make sure to drive out there real early in the morning, cuz the road is only wide enough for 1 and a boat is pushing it in some spots.

Another place you can try is Boca or Stampede which is between Reno and Truckee off of hwy 80, both are nice, but can get crowded in the summer. Boca is more of a jet ski paradise and stampede has one cove that works out, but more than one boat in there can be trouble.

Jackson meadows is aways north of truckee, off of 89, and is worth a drive. Quite beautiful and can be a bit chilly.

You can head east and hit up lahoton, which is about 30min east of carson city on hwy 50. This is one of the warmest lakes in the area b/c of the sandy bottom and makes for easy camping due to the fact that you can camp right next to the water.

This is just about it for the area, there are some other places but a bit more time on the road would be needed. Take care and maybe I'll see yall on the lake sometime.

Markfromtexas
Old     (savvysavannah)      Join Date: May 2005       05-10-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Mark
have a good day.
Savvy
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-10-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
Ixnay on the Jackson Meadowsnay. J/K.

You can get good water at just about any one of the aforementioned spots, including Tahoe, if you're willing to get out early. I go out on Boca, Stampede, and Tahoe pretty frequently, and we're usually on the water by 6:30-7:00 and done riding by 8:30-9:00. After that, it gets rolly and/or windy. Early/late season on Tahoe you can ride a little bit later into the day and get some good water.

Lahontan is a good early/late season and mid-week destination spot and is not too far from South Shore. However, it gets a little jet boaty there during peak season.

Overall, pretty fun stuff, but you have to want it a bit more to wakeboard up here. Good luck.

Old    beajackass            05-10-2005, 3:42 PM Reply   
Brian gave some great info. Early in the year (july) I've seen the water flat at 12. But once it gets later in the year it's often pretty bad. The water warms up later in the year though. I love wakeboarding at tahoe, since we can leave the boat on a bouy. Just get up early and enjoy it.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-10-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
I would second Boca Res. - right above Truckee. Tahoe is beautiful but one boat anywhere near you on that lake creates these huge rollers. Unless you're the first one out you'll be fighting em.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-11-2005, 8:55 AM Reply   
What about Donner Lake? I went by on my way to Sugar Bowl last spring and it looked like it could be pretty good.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
Donner always looks good during the winter, but it gets really wind blown during the summer. It is okay early morning and late evening. I really don't think any of these spots are good for someone from South Lake though. They are all too far. I think your best bet is probably just to get out on Tahoe early morning and early evening.
Old     (savvysavannah)      Join Date: May 2005       05-12-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice,
See you on the lake
savvy
Old     (savvysavannah)      Join Date: May 2005       05-12-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice,
See you on the lake
savvy