Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
What is a good beginner wakesurfing board? I am considering the CWB Ride. I about 6'-230 pounds, but would like something that would work for most adults. I will be riding behind a Supra 24 SSV if that matters.
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
The LF custom 4'10 is a pretty good board. I only way like 170, but i had a guy the other day who was about 230 and he wa shredding on it. Its a pretty good all around board for all levels.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
I weigh at least 260 and I ride a Walker Composite X 5.0, good stable board.
http://www.thewalkerproject.com/category_s/3.htm#
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-09-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Forget the CWB board. I have one it and it stays in the garage.

I highly suggest a board from Inland Surfer, The Walker Project, Xtreme Board Company, Shred Stixx or Walzer.

When you buy one of the boards I mentioned, you get a great board and also get to be able to communicate with the guy who designed the board ...even before you purchase.

Email 'em with your questions. They will answer!

These guys also contribute to the Annual Supra/Moomba Owners Jamborees.

Support those who support you!

(Message edited by Ed_G on May 09, 2007)
Old    surfdad            05-09-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
I really like the Walker Composite X 5.0, extremely fast down-the-line. Picture of Dennis as he states 260 on a 5.0 board, also Billy Basset riding backside. :-)

Upload
Upload
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
Here is a 220 lb guy doing a 360 on a Walzer 1" thick 4'6" skim board and how do I know he is that fat? Because it is me!!!

Any size person can ride any board BUT you have to have the right boat and setup for it.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
Uhmmm... John's boat makes a mountain of a wake with a lot of push and John is not a beginner.

Beginners usually need a bigger board. I've got 10 pounds on John, I’ve been riding for a little over two years. I had a good ride on John’s Walzer, but I had trouble keeping speed on my second set. Thanks for the rides John.

If you went with a Walzer you should probably go for the biggest model.
Old    surfdad            05-09-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
Yeah...I'm glad you chimed in Ed, IMO John's statement about anyone can ride any board is misleading. Bigger boards offer more stability and are a bit slower to respond for folks just learning. I can't imagine that the 2 3/8" C5 fins would be suitable for a beginner either.

Mike, tell us more about what's important to you in the board. Cost? Storage in a standard rack? The most adults you refer to, what sort of weight range? Give us a picture so that we can better guide you.
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
Cost is not a huge issue, but I don't want to spend more than I have to. I do want the board to fit in a standard rack. I need to be able to ride with the stock ballast (24 ssv has about 2000 pounds total). The others that will potentially be riding will range from 120 pounds up to my weight of around 230, though I am obviously more worried about myself. I am a total beginner. I think I would just like a nice stable cruiser, though I am not sure.
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
I am leaning towards the Inland Red Tide after looking into it a bit more. What do you guys think?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
I have a Yellow, Red, and my friend has a Blue. I'd go with a Blue; it's a great all-round board and will suit a wide range of rider sizes. The red is a very good board but it will be too big for the smaller riders and you're boat should make a pretty good wake.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
Look at these IS boards. The Blue is about the same length as the Red. The Red is a big slow Cadillac ride. If you want to carve you'll want the Blue.
Upload
Old     (hutfelter)      Join Date: May 2007       05-09-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
My two cents worth I'd go with the Inland Surfer Red Tide. 07 Calabria Pro V2
Old     (stevstaf)      Join Date: May 2001       05-09-2007, 10:41 PM Reply   
Mike, despite what Ed G says, the CWB Ride is a good beginner board. I've taught a bunch of people on it and they've all had fun on it. There are also plenty of other boards that are suitable for beginners, some of them named previously, but the blanket statement dissing the Ride is just not factual. I've hung onto mine mainly because it is good for people to learn on.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-10-2007, 1:35 AM Reply   
I once had both the Red Tide and the Blue Lake.

Being a novice surfer, I had more success free riding on the Blue Lake.

The CWB is a good beginers board, but you will quickly out grow it and end up getting a higher end board. Might as well do it right the first time.
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-10-2007, 4:45 AM Reply   
Based on his last comments I am thinking Shred Stix Pirhana, Ja Mako or Blue Lake because of what you said about riders and cruisers.

I don't think any of them will fit in a standard board rack. I want to try a Walker but I have never riden or seen one therefore I can't offer any input.

I have seen the CWB and it is HEAVY. If you are going to get a production board like that just get the Hyperlite Land Lock. Personally, I don't like those kind of surf boards because they don't represent the sport the way Inland, SS and Walker do.

IMO - The big company wakeboard companies are just trying to get some easy profits by taking wakeboard material and making production surf boards out of them. They are merely using name recognition to profit from it.

Recently LF seems to be the only company taking the sport seriously by getting surf shapers into the mix if that matters to you look at them also.

Good Luck!!

(Message edited by jrodhyco on May 10, 2007)
Old    surfdad            05-10-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
I thought about creating a little matrix that would indicate if a particular board met all the criteria. As I understand it, Mike has defined the following basic items:

Cost - not overriding but low cost would be good
Rack - wants the board to fit in a standard rack
Weight - board should handle 120 to 230
Wake - medium to large
Skill - beginner

The beginner board market has the most options. Interestingly enough, the following manufacturers make boards for this broad market (in no particular order): Stripes, Shred Stixx, Inland Surfer, Shoreline Lakeboards, Trick Boardz, Cybershapes, Walker Project, CWB, Hyperlite, Liquid Force and Phase 5. That's at least 11 offerings. I find that amazing. In reviewing the criteria, the deal breaker is fitting in to a standard rack. That one factor eleminates probably some of the best beginner boards and you might want to think about that. However, if we go strictly by Mike's criteria, only these boards make the cut (in no particular order):

Trick Boardz - Mojo 55
Walker Project - Composite X 5.0
CWB - Ride
Hyperlite - Broadcast 5'6"
Liquid Force Venture 5'6"
Phase 5 - Oogle

From a price standpoint, the Trick Boardz is listed as $254 (but see below), the P5 Oogle is $335 and ALL of the others are $300. :-) How's that for competition. :-) It also tells us where the biggest market is - fits in a standard rack, costs about $300, allows a 200+ pound rider to surf. :-)

My understanding is that Trick Boardz is undergoing some changes in manufacturing, so the price differential may not exist at this point.

I'm a little reluctant to make a recommendation out of that list for two reasons. One is that some fo the best beginner shapes didn't make the cut and secondly, Mike himself was favoring the Red Tide, which at 1.75" thick won't fit in many standard racks.

Just exactly HOW important is the rack criteria? Important enough to disqualify the Inland Red, Mike?
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-10-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Mike, ever consider the SkiTree? It is a floor mounted rack that will hold the Red Tide.

Upload
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-10-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
He could go with DBOT 5 Racks, get the board he wants and they also hold wakeboards.
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-10-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys. I really want the board to fit into my board rack and from what I have read on this post and elsewhere, the Phase 5 Oogle is a good all-around board. Jeff, where can I find one for $335?
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-10-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
I am also considering the Hyperlite Broadcast 5'-6". How would this compare to the Phase 5 Oogle? Which would be better/more stable?
Old    surfdad            05-10-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Hey Mike I saw one up in the Rancho Cordova area for that price (probably last years model)...I think P5 website shows it at $375, (double check that though) and most of the online vendors I think have it in the 400+ range.
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-10-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Is the P5 Oogle $150 better than the Broadcast?
Old    surfdad            05-10-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
Not in my book.
Old     (mobius67)      Join Date: May 2007       05-15-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
OBREIN Jimmy Jam, haha jk
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-16-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
I have Limited Edition Red Tides for $329 http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17145&cat=343&page=1 and Limited Edition Yellow Loogies also for $329 http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17147&cat=343&page=1
Old    surfdad            05-17-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
Tommyc - you can't advertise like that here. You disrespect us when you ignore the NO ADVERTISING policy.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/446471.html?1179341060

Props to the folks like Inland Surfer, Shred Stixx, Calibrated, etc that don't threaten our resources with personal greed.
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-17-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
Hi Mike, just thought I might add my 2 cents. I am err...kind of a beginner. I have not master throwing in the rope but I am moments away. While I am not your size (girl - 5'10 1XX lbs...we never tell our weight).

Anyway, I have ridden both the P5 Oolge, Landlock and Broadcast. I do like the Oolge but for hands-down good time and a forgiving board, I would encourage the Broadcast. I don't have experience with the Walker boards or Inland Surfers YET but I know my hubby loves his Walker... Good luck with your purchase!!!

(Message edited by hgaugh on May 17, 2007)