Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (sinisalo)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2009, 6:34 AM Reply   
My friend has a x45 -07 8.1 crusader.
When we reach about 5500 rpp- 6000 rpm.
The engine turns off almost lika an rpm stop on a car, but in slow motion...

Does someone else has this problem?
Or is normall???
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       04-07-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
Can you explain a little more?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
You are way past the rev limit on that boat.
My guess is you are floating the valves and it will explode if you keep doing it.
Someone with the specs could chime in, but I think the Maximum RPM they recommend is 4800. (I might be wrong)
I've never seen a big block factory engine designed to run 5500.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
On Crusader's website the Max RPM spec for the 8.1 HO 425hp engine is 5200 and it's supposed to have a rev limiter. Maybe your tach is wrong and you feeling the rev limiter but it MUST bet checked.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
Has he changed the prop?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-07-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Is he running it out of the water?
Old     (sinisalo)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
I doulbe checked with him, and we think itīs when it speed up util about 5200 rpm...
I have have had many wake boats and been around many, and I have never heard this before....
And yes it is when the boat is in the water, when we reach max speed.
if a car rpm limiter sounds like this U know
baobaobaobaobao

this is more like

baaooooobaaooooooobaaooooo
Sounds and feels realy wierd....
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
sounds like rev limiter

But the bigger question is why is he running that big block up to those RPMs?

How fast is the boat going at that RPM?
Old     (sinisalo)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
The boat is from 07, and has been in sweden since then, but he bought it 2 months ago from a (donīt) know the word for it, but the mastercraft company had to close and then the gouverment sold it to him.
So today was the first time we had it in the water... then he tested full throttle and then this started to happen...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
Jens, it's probably just bumping on the rev limiter. It is not good to run on the rev limiter so you want to throttle back before you get to that speed.
The X-45 is a big heavy boat so it may well have had a lower pitch propeller put on it to get better acceleration. Normally you prop the boat so that it won't hit the rev limit but wakeboarding works better if the prop gives you that acceleration and control at wake speeds. So the prop you have should help there.
It is likely good for what you want and there is probably no engine damage. Some rev limiters just work slower.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
Yup... Def hitting the rev limiter. Our 8.1 did that with the stock prop. It needs to be re-propped. That boat has plenty of power to turn a bigger prop. You should be able to go wide open without it bumping the rev limiter.

I've never seen one of those motors grenade, but I've seen plenty of headgaskets fail from prolonged high RPM's. If I were him I'd get that changed pretty quick.

Otherwise, great boat with a great motor.