Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-02-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
Looking for a new toy, I am thinking the wakeskis look like fun. They might be a cross my waterski jumping skis and a wakeboard?

1. Has anybody tried them?
2. Are they decent?
3. How cheezy are the bindings?
4. Is there any difference between the Hydroslide and Bodyglove models?

Thanks,
Mikeski

mikeskiw@gmail.com
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
get an airchair
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-03-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
Got one, it's a biatch to haul around.
Old     (longlakerider)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-03-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
have fun breaking your tibia/fibia
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-03-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
Haha... I can't tell if you're being hilarious or serious here.

If you're joking: thank you.

If you're serious: I haven't ridden them, but would try them if I could (have to try everything at least once). I am skeptical, though... I can't imagine they'd ride worlds differently than regular skis (minus the dual tip). I will occasionally hop on a pair of skis and take a doubles set just for laughs... I never liked the way regular skis rode, and hitting the wake was never an enjoyable experience (even as a joke).

Imagine going snow skiing with bindings that don't release, and you're riding in really deep, wet powder. Not a good, or fun, idea.

There is the same risk present with the wakeskis as wakeskating, only with more leverage and less natural physics.}
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
I have a pair. The bodyglove and hydrodslide ones are identical from what I can tell (I have the hydroslide ones). To the guy who posted the tibia/fibia nonsense you're insane.

I was an avid skiboarder during the snow-season and have ridden the original big-foot, klimax, snowblades, and currently ride dynastar twins with cannon bindings. After trying skiboards, I won't ride anything else during the winter. I thought these hydroslide hoppers would be similar. On the water I prefer wakeboarding, but they are still a fun toy to carry on the boat.

I first bought some old lake-region trick skis but the lack of bottom fins made them like trying to stand on ice cubes! These hydroslide hoppers have fins, decent bindings, and are easy to get up (and stay up)on. I think they are great for goofing around on, OR FOR BEGINNERS. Being so compact is and added plus, except for you posers who like to display every toy on the rack :-).

I actually added a rear toe binding on one of my wakeskis but couldn't get my lard-butt out of the water using one YET. (I'm 200+ lbs).

Btw, they release like any ski/wakeboard binding so breaking bones would require immense stupidity.

(Message edited by thedangcorn on June 04, 2007)
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
^^^^^ARE YOU SERIOUS?^^^^^ was it hard to tell your parents you were gay when you started "skiboarding"? I hope you are kidding because i am rolling. It might be the funniest thing I have ever ready on here. And to say you are avid. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-04-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Patrick - who freaking cares if he likes to wakeski? If anyone is gay it's you.
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
So patrick, was it the word "poser" that set you off or do you wakeboard just to be around guys in boardshorts?

(Message edited by thedangcorn on June 04, 2007)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-04-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
Colin,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go ahead and pickup a pair. I noticed some on Hydroslides e-bay for $129 but the bindings seemed less substantial. As an ex-waterski jumper I am looking for the most support available. I'm not worried about these lace-up bindings breaking any bones, much more risk flying sideways on a wakeboard.
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
The bindings are a bit sucky, but definitely better than the ones on trick skis with the old-style waterski bindings. You can get them snug but in no way are they tight like an expensive wakeboard binding.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-05-2007, 5:26 AM Reply   
I saw this company posted somewhere else on this site, but it looks like a real valliant effort at making twin tip skis for water. The people in the gallery photos put real bindings on them.

http://www.stereoskis.com/

(I have nothing to do with this co., just thought i would post for those interested)