Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-19-2003, 8:51 PM Reply   
Does anyone on Wakeworld use a Tahoe Z-71 for pulling their boat? I am looking at getting one and wanted some response from current owners. Also, is the Z-71 package or the LT package better for everyday driving and hauling? Thanks.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
i have had a 2001 z-71 and a 2002 LT autoride, definatley go with the LT over the Z-71 if everyday driving is what you're going to be doing.

the Z-71 is pretty cool looking on the outside, but doesn't have as many luxury features on the inside, plus the z-71 is going to ride a little rougher due to the off road suspension, tahoes are very nice vechicles, and you won't be disappointed either way, but i wouldn't have another z-71 over a LT autoride unless i moved to the into the wilderness

as far as towing goes, you won't have any problems with the 5.3 that is standard on both of those models, plenty of power. I'm used to driving powerstroke diesels and i towed my 02 x star with 5-7 people and all our gear and i thought it did very well, it has more power than anyother suv with the exception of the escalade/denali and h2
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-20-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
Of course any chevy feels more powerful than a powerstroke ford!
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
I cant say it's more powerful, we still have 3 powerstrokes, and they are the only truck to have to get the job done when pulling. the new duramax chevy is also a work horse, and I think the interior is a little nicer than the fords, but for some reaon i like the ford superdutys, better than the chevy HDs, and dodges

now when it comes to 1/2ton trucks and SUVs chevy wins hands down, they have the luxury, power, towing ability, handling, and they can't be beat. GM is doing alot of good things with their new vechicles. and i just ordered my new 04 silverado SS and can't wait for it to get here!
Old    pawmurray            09-22-2003, 7:50 AM Reply   
I just bought a 01 Tahoe LT and it pulls like a dream! Also, very comfy on the commute to/from work.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2003, 8:41 AM Reply   
Tahoe suspension gets really soft when you start towing. We've been using a Tahoe Z71 for the past 3 years and we're currently looking into suspension upgrades to stiffin up the back. Their is no noticable difference in the ride between regular (LT) Tahoes and Z71 Tahoes. Both will sag when you hook your boat up.
Old    wantboatnow            09-22-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Invest in a set of rear airbags and a compressor if you plan on towing a lot. The motor has plenty of power, and my 2wd with locking rear never looses traction on the ramp.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
I agree with J-Rod, we used my buddies Z71 to tow our boat "4500 pounds with trailer" to the river. Engine was no problem at all, but the suspension with the shorter wheel base, caused some instabilty when you hit bumps and dips at freeway speeds.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-22-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
The Tahoe is the way to go if you are looking for a good all around tow vehicle and a in town ride. I have an '03 Tahoe LT. My boat loaded with fuel and gear is abot 3700lbs. The tahoe doesnt even bog down pulling it up the mountain passes here in Colorado.

I had an '02 GMC Sierra, and I think the Tahoe pulls smoother.

I recomend buying one that the entire back hatch lifts up, not the two outswinging doors. We have some steep boat ramps which make it hard to see your unloaded trailer. I fold the 3rd row seats down and lift the hatch. (I cant back up with mirrors)
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-22-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
Z71 will be a rough ride. I have an 01 4X 6.0 with the Allison tranny and autoride. Awesome puller great ride whether loaded or in the city.
Old    bandit33            09-22-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
I tow with a 99 Tahoe 2 door Z-71, the last year for the two door.... I love it, tows great. I have not noticed any suspension sag with the boat (Moomba Outback) hooked up. It is a firm ride without the boat but I personally like the firm ride. The 5.7 engine has plenty of power and the newer 5.3 V8s are just as good from what I have heard.
Old    dagger            09-22-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have a '00 Tahoe LT with autoride and it pulls a boat like a dream! The autoride will help level the Tahoe once the trailer is hooked up. As for the every day driving...it's got a 6" lift with 35's and, well, you can figure it out from there.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-22-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
The 2004 tahoe z-71 are available now with every option the LT except for the autoride, but as far as heated seats, memory seats, power folding mirrors, and all the little things yes it is the same. If you use four wheel drive often then go with the Z71 package other than that it is an appearence package.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2003, 2:38 PM Reply   

You pay a fat price for that autoride. You can get manual fill airbags and intall them yourself for under $80.

I think the exterior stylin of the Z71 is very niiice. But they are spendy.
Old     (jimmyjam)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-23-2003, 5:27 AM Reply   
My 2002 Z71 has autoride. It's my third Tahoe and my friends call it the "Tow beast". It rides nice with or without load. Corners like no other suv I've been in, and looks good too.
Old    blind5            09-23-2003, 8:54 PM Reply   
I have a 02' GMC Z-71 Sierra and my girlfriend has an 02' Z-71 Tahoe. I really like the way both of them pull. My truck fells more powerful (both have a Vortec 5300) but i do have a K&N on it. The Tahoe's ride is a little better. I would actually like to trad my truck for one.