Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-07-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
Does anyone here do any training (Besides snowboarding) in the winter time?
I've finally stopped all the laziness and got back in the weight room this week so that I'm well in shape for next season. On top of that I've been trying to do some stretching and flexibility exercises which I don't normally do, so that I can prevent injuries next year. On top of that I think I'm moving my trampoline into a storage garage I have, to do some tramp training as well.
Share your workout routines/ off-season training here.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-07-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
i just go to the gym and stretch (alot)
i mainly work on leg strength. i can leg press 1250. and as long as my bench press stays above my weight. im fine with it. i wish i had a trampoline. no place to put it where i live. best of luck
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-07-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
leg press 1250 thats alot or are you using the machine and not doing true squats
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-08-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
I started running mid/late summer and could tell a huge difference in my riding.. I try to mix in some weights when time permits. always say I am gonna do this over winter and never do. I am ALMOST in a running habit now. bout time!
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-08-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
MMA is a good way to keep the body in shape. Plus it keeps the pain tolerance up.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-08-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
I will be doing a couple rounds of P90X over the winter
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-08-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
David, I am assuming you are talking about the leg sled and you say you are putting 14 plates on each side? I call BS. Definitely not squats either.

I really dont know why people dont train ALL the time regardless the seasons. Pro athletes train year round, as should everyone else. It isnt going to HURT you, just make you and your body stronger and less suseptible(sp?) to injury. Wrap your ligaments and joints with muscle protecting them and injury is less likely.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
of course im talking about the machine. haha and i dont know how many plates it is to be honest. i just know its 1250 (thats my personal best btw) i usually go up slowly to around 1000 but i have gone to 1250
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-08-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
please stop, it is painful to read...
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-08-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
david not gunna lie im calling bs again
Old     (dubitup20i)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-08-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
1250 is easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llJn1XqqUsI
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
alright man. what ever. a whole bunch of the kids at my school can do it in our weight room.
and i edited this to say watch the video that guy posted. thats 2300 im saying 1250

(Message edited by lfrider92 on November 08, 2008)
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-08-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
Alright guys, I didn't want this to become a "Who's got the biggest (you know what) contest."
I honestly don't care who can bench, squat or clean the most, I was simply asking what you guys do to keep yourself ready for next season.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-08-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
I knew a 16 year old who could squat 640. He was also big as hell. I can leg press (on the machine) around 500, and I'm not that strong. It's plausible, but I don't really know what to say to that other than, boy, why are you wakeboarding and not knocking the piss out of people in football?
Old     (vista)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
I reckon all round fitness will really help you get more out of next season. It'll give you the opportunity to ride for longer and therefore progress quicker. Leg work will help avoid knee injuries apparently, upper body is an obvious one.

I picked myself up an indoboard to keep working on balance and also help with wakeskating.

But I think the biggest help off-season would be to go trampolining... especially trampboarding. But be safe!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-08-2008, 5:58 PM Reply   
1250 is simply a number on a machine and just a number...

Regardless, Nick I would suggest a balanced workout with cardio. Tramp work can be plus if you know what will translate to wakeboarding and what doesn't.
Old     (cmcathy1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-08-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
I’m in my first week of P90X and it is brutal. It will keep you in great shape during the off season; and a lot of the workouts like Plyometrics and Stretch X would be good to do during the riding season.
Old     (mattwc)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-09-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
i've been hitting the weights but i'm thinking about throwing some P90X into the mix. I hear that P90X is some good stuff.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-09-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
I do weights in the morning for 5 days a week and an hour of cardio in the afternoon 7 days a week. Run some fun runs when they come up. Just did a 15k a few weeks ago.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-09-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Definitely agreed Ewing. Bulk lifting just doesn't make much sense when you are into wakeboarding. I'm going to try to actually stick through a p90x cycle this winter too.

Last winter, I swam a mile every night without stopping for two months. Ate less, and healthier. Didn't lose a lb. Gained weight actually. Not sure how that works. And no, I'm fairly sure it wasn't muscle...
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-09-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
why not go to a tramp place and work out on the tramp with a coach.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-09-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
i longboard, condition and do tramp training. i was told if youre pretty new to riding then you should still ride once a month through winter, just work fundamentals.
Old     (bcnumber1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-10-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
As a personal trainer and exercise physiology major, I focus on cardio, muscular endurance lifting, plyometrics, and coordination drills. These four types of exercises help with building stamina, power as well as injury prevention. If anyone wants a sample of the work out let me know.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-10-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
"I really dont know why people dont train ALL the time regardless the seasons. Pro athletes train year round, as should everyone else. It isnt going to HURT you, just make you and your body stronger and less suseptible(sp?) to injury."

This should go beyond wakeboarding. I understand that we all want to progress and sport specific workouts are going to help this. However, just doing anything is better than nothing. This go far beyond wakeboarding. If you lead a non-sedentary lifestyle, you are not only going to be in better shape, but this is going to help you in the long run by preventing heart attacks, stroke, cancer, etc...the list goes on. Even though it may not be wakeboarding specific, just doing something makes a difference. (End health rant!)
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-10-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Hey Matt. I try the tramp places but most of the time I just leave there hung over and with an empty wallet or least only singles left! And by coach are do you mean the best man??
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-10-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
"As a personal trainer and exercise physiology major, I focus on cardio, muscular endurance lifting, plyometrics, and coordination drills. "

As a Trainer also, I agree. Traditional weight lifting that you see most of the guys doing in the gym is not the best use of your gym time.

All of my workouts involve cardiorespitory stress, unstable lifting for balance, fast-pace circuit routines with high repitions for endurance, plyometrics, and lots of core.

(Message edited by jarrod on November 10, 2008)
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-10-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
I have been doing stairs recently in preperation for the upcoming snow season. They are a great cardio workout IMO and really get your legs burning too. The stairs I run are 37 stairs total, and I am at least 20 sets of them 4 days a week.

After that, I do a small routine of pushups, situps, and some dumb bell exercises. I wouldn't say I'm getting ripped or anything at all, but I do see some imrpovement in my physique and how I feel overall.

BC- I wouldn't mind seeing your routine if you have a minute to send it my way.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
Other than my regular gym routine, I'm going to try the P90X. My wifey is already on it and the results are showing. I think I'm going to get my butt kicked, but I'll try it.

(Message edited by wayz on November 10, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-10-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
watch wake movies... and move to florida
Old     (sean7791)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-11-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
I recently go t a tramp so i use that to keep fit. I do the odd bit of weight-training. I'm trying to keep wakeboarding through the winter but the wind is really making the water too rough. I just picked up snowboarding and I do that Tuesday and Thursday nights, kinda sucks that i have to use that carpet stuff since there is never any snow in Ireland.
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-11-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
I strength train 4-5 days a week (varying styles from heavy, to high rep, to dog crap, never giving my muscles a comfort zone to plateu) but also teach and do Jiu Jitsu, do cardio 3 days a week. Not a big guy (162 lbs 5'6") but I throw weights around pretty well (dumbell bench press 75's in each hand for 14 reps in my 3rd set)
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       11-12-2008, 6:16 AM Reply   
a group of us work with our riding buddy who is a personal trainer once a week, and then go to a gymnastics gym and jump on tramps, do vaulting, etc, also once a week, to work on air awareness and body awareness. its a blast!
Old     (king_of_the_wake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-17-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
do lots of push ups and sit ups and you will be in good shape
Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-17-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
join a gym
Old    dperizzolo            11-17-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
C.I.E. J-Roda and BC said it best. Its really all about functional training. If you are really serious about training in the off season for wakeboarding, then you should be training the muscles that are actually applied to the sport. Balance is important, but I'm sorry some of those isolation exercises for certain muscles don't do a darn thing when you get out on the water. Training sport specific and training to be fit are two different things. For more information find a properly certified personal trainer near by and get them to work out at least a 4 month program for you.