Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
Anyone know how much it costs to fix the seals? I've got two suits a friend of mine gave me, and all the seals on both are toast.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-15-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
ive heard if you have an oneill, you can send it into them and they charge around 25$ per seal
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-16-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
I bought new seals from Overtons and replaced them myself. Looks like its up to $150 for all of them (they were $35ea when I did it). Wasn't too difficult. Cut the old seal off and support the area from the inside (I used anything I could find...bottles, balls, etc). Spread the glue and place the new seal on. Allow it to dry and you're all set.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-16-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
It cost about 100 when we sent our suit to the factory and did it but that was a few years ago.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-16-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
I like the idea of doing it yourself, found a place that has them for between 25 and 35 for the seals. Took it to a scuba shop and they wanted $298 to do it, when a new one is just $100 more.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-16-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
One more question. How do you avoid this happening to the seals in the future?
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-16-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
I just bought a full set of "heavy duty" seals (neck, wrists, and ankles) off eBay from a seller in the UK for about $60 including cleaner, adhesive and hardener. Best deal I could find by far. I made a mandrel out of galvanized roofing flashing which I'm going to post some pictures of when I get a chance. It cost me a whopping $1! There are great videos and how-to's online.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-17-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdan View Post
I just bought a full set of "heavy duty" seals (neck, wrists, and ankles) off eBay from a seller in the UK for about $60 including cleaner, adhesive and hardener. Best deal I could find by far. I made a mandrel out of galvanized roofing flashing which I'm going to post some pictures of when I get a chance. It cost me a whopping $1! There are great videos and how-to's online.
Took a look and it's looks like they are still selling them there. Did you like the quality? Also what size neck seal did you buy? Would love to see the pic
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-17-2010, 11:51 PM Reply   
As far as I can tell, they seem fine. They're thicker than the originals that I'm replacing. I bought all standard size seals. I actually emailed the seller my measurements and he told me what size to order. He also didn't have a full set of neck, wrist, and ankle, so he just added the ankle seals when he sent me the invoice.

The neck seal appears to be the "normal" design. The wrist seals are the "bottle" style, which is what I'm used to. Although they seem to be a bit shorter than the originals, but it doesn't look like it will create any problems. The ankle seals are the cone type, but seem great.

I hope to install them this weekend. I'll take some pics and post them up when I can.