Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-28-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
I've seen some conversation on corked tricks in wakeboarding before, and I don't know that we ever came to a consensus, but seeing what is getting called corked during winter X this week is a little confusing. Tricks that were getting barely off-axis were being called corked, and full on flips were being called corked. I thought about some photos of myself riding, and one came to mind where I was doing a backroll, but I never committed to the flip and I never really inverted, it look some of the flips getting tossed during big air. Basically what I'm getting at is people say you can't cork on a wakeboard, but why not? If the trick has gotten so broad, there must be a way of throwing it behind the boat, or on the cable as well.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-28-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
you cant technically because of the handle. But an Ole spin is basically a cork.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-28-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
I thought the wakeboarding equivalent of a cork was an off-axis spin. Or is a cork exactly half way between a flip and a spin? When I do my crows, I flip and spin at the same time, rotating diagonally. Is that "corked"?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-28-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
when they do a legit corked, they go on a different axis (double corked), which is impossible on a wakeboard because the handle is your center axis no matter what way you spin
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-28-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
Someone should do an osmosis cork
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-28-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
The way I understand it, a cork is supposed to be a combination of a flip and a spin. So by my definition, every mobe is a corked trick. Term really doesnt apply to wakeboarding because we have different names for it.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-29-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
Isn't the def of corked....when the head passes below the feet or board during a spin/rotation.

If you listen to Sal on the slow mo replays that is all he looks for to determine if it was corked or not.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-29-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
According to wakeboarder.com any off axis trick would be considered corked.... had to look it up cause I had no idea what you were talking about.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2012, 7:47 PM Reply   
I never really got corked.. but then again, Im sure snowboarders dont really get what a mobe or crow is
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-30-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Wakeboard tricks are so much tech-ier than snowboard tricks imo, (becasue of the handle)
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-30-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
when you look at a whirly 7, the board is really doing a 1080, or a crow 7, i don't get why the name has to cheat out a full rotation, when in snowboarding a they will say a double cork 1080, not a double cork 7 with a flip or two. I think wakeboarding should adapt, people will turn their heads if they hear a trick like a cork 1080, instead of a whirlybird 7..
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-30-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
ya prolly^
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-30-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
Speaking of board rotation. Why is it that in the halfpipe what they call a "1080" the board only spins 900. For big air they get it right though and count the number of times the board rotates around correctly so a 1080 is truly a 1080 by wake standards or mathematical ones for that matter.
It drives me nuts.

I think any off axis spin in wake could be labeled as "corked" perhaps flip tricks like crows too if they don't get too vertical. Corked is such a buzzword in snowboarding right now. Everything seems to get away with being "corked".
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-30-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
the board spins 1080 in the halfpipe
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-30-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
in a half pipe its different. If you take of regular and land regular you do a 180 it just looks like a straight air because of the tranistion if you did a straight air you would land switch in the pipe. IF you do a 9 in a half pipe you take off regular and land regular, 1080 take off regular and land switch. You're doing the 180 it just doesnt look like one becuase youre in transistion...A 1080 is still a 1080 in the pipe