Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-15-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
I just received orders and will be moving to Annapolis Maryland and was wondering how the wakeboarding is there. I'm not sure how long I'll be there but it will be for at least two years.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-15-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
Try here

www.dcwake.com
Old     (KGar11)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2010, 10:06 PM Reply   
i ride on the potomac
Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-16-2010, 6:35 AM Reply   
+1 on the Potomac.
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-16-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
How far up the Potomac do you have to go before you're out of brackish water?
Old     (KGar11)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-16-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
no really sure. sorry. i ride in pohick. its usually really calm and i dont have to flush my engine
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-16-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
Is the Potomac not brackish some ways before Great Falls? or all the ways to Great Falls?
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
The Potomac isn't that great to ride on except for the upper parts above DC. In DC the river is tidal, but the salt content in the water is extremely low, so low you'd never be able to tell the difference between it and fresh water. Would you consider that brackish? I wouldn't. From Great Falls down the problem is big boats, way downstream there are some coves to ride in. Once you get down below Alexandria, the salt content gradually increases until you get out to the bay. When I say gradually, DC is about 85 miles from the mouth of the river and there is a decent amount of flow coming through DC that pushes the salt water downstream.
Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-16-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
I usually ride about 30 miles south of DC right around Quantico Marine Corps Base and south of Tim's on the Rivershore Restaurant on the Virginia side of the Potomac. All the big boats run in the cannel on the other side near the Maryland or the go to Tim's. Mornings and evenings are best but sometimes in the middle of the afternoon it turns to glass. I don't consider it brackish but it is tidal and where we ride it never gets below 10' unless we get close to the banks to anchor up and I always flush and clean the boat after we're done ridding.