Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    parkswakeboardr            08-27-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
Has anyone used anything from like home to wakeboard on or somthing. This one guy said that he got up on a full size door.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-27-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
I once rode my coffee table
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-27-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
this is gonna be a good thread.
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-27-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
I got up on a banana board!
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-27-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
We used to ride shovels and cafeteria trays down the slopes at the end of the day when I worked at a ski resort. We would also try to pile 7 to 10 people on top of one of those roll up sheet sleds.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-27-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
i strapped a lawn chair to a hydro slide... Did a beach start on it...
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-27-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
It wouldn't be considered "from home" but a toy that I have used for years is a simple round piece of plywood.

We call it a "disk". Our favorite size is a two foot diameter, cut out of 1/2" plywood and covered in epoxy to make it waterproof.

To start off you have to lay in the water with the disk under your chest, your arms out stright, holding the handle at the front edge of the disk. As the boat starts to pull (a real gentle pull) you put wieght onto the disk with your elbows, then pull your knees up under you so that you are kneeling on the board (once you get familiar with this you can do this in a quick easy motion just as the boat starts to pull).

Once you are kneeling the trick is to stand up. You need to balance the disk by placing a hand next to a knee, then lifting that leg up so that you can get a foot underneath you. Then place a hand next to the other knee and get that foot under you, then stand up.

Now you are on a flat platform that has no preference to front, side or back! Spins are easy! It isn't hard to just pull a 360, assuming you can pass the handle behind your back. Turn around and ride backwards.

That gets boring pretty fast, and we haven't ever managed any jumping type tricks, so instead we have chicken fights. Two disks, two riders. Wait till both are standing, then try to knock each other off!

The pull is real easy, speed is around 15 MPH so this toy works with a lot of small underpowered boats. You can really get your monies worth out of these!

Rod
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-27-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
My feet.

http://john.panelmagic.com/skifoot.jpg
Old    byerly137pro            08-27-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
I wanted to build a bike with skis instead of tires but my Dad refused to let me use his shop and said "concentrate on wakeboarding before come with any other crazy notions", but hey I can't complain he's the captain of our ship.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-27-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
we tried a fiberglass/plastic oar, but that didn't go well. I think a wooden one would have worked. We play surrivor with ony a life jacket and a handle, its really fun in glass doing barrel rolls but rollers suck a lot because you go through them as opposed to over them
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Back in my barefooting days before wakeboards were invented, we were always looking for something that hurt even worse than barefooting crashes, so we eventually just started getting the MasterCraft going wide open (about 45 MPH) and just jumping off the side. Sure enough, sometimes it hurt pretty bad. This exercise worked much better with beer involved. Oh man, to be 18 again!

Rod, yes, the disc!! My old man had one, and when I was like 8, he would pull me around doing 360s pretty much until the boat ran out of gas. The rope would get so twisted it was like a slingshot. To this day, I have never had trouble getting the handle pass on any wakeboarding spin. Thanks for that memory!
Old    grampawakerider            08-27-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
This doesn't exactly fit this thread, but I took my son to the beach, gave him 100' of rope and pulled him anlong the surf line with my truck. Was classic till the beach patrol came.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-27-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
Doc, I did exactly the same thing, jumping out of the boat at barefoot speed. Yes there was beer involved, and no I never did it again. Once was enough.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
I got one here for you
Bike on the table
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
well, i made it kinda small. if you can't see what it all is, it is a picninc table, two wakeboards and a bike.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2004, 9:35 PM Reply   
And with that, we have a new leader...
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-28-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Florida…
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-28-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
Justin, ok I can understand the 2 boards,the picnic table and even the orange traffic cones....but a bike??? We tried a plastic snow disc pulled behind a 3 wheel atv along the wet sand-was pretty fun
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-29-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   
Leader for now. I'm working on something in the tool shed. lol
They should of put a ladder on the table, then a bike on the ladder. ha ha

Nice barefoot pic John. Is that the river? I wouldn't foot there with all the crap in the water.

Speaking of footing...any of you ever try and do front flips? I remember trying those after seeing Seipel and Scarpa do them. To echo the Doc - Oh man, to be 18 again!
Old     (board4ce07)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
we screwed a plastic lawn chair onto a kneeboard b/c were too cheap to buy an air chair. those things are too damn expensive.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
did it work?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-29-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
David, yes that was a river up in Jacksonville nearly 25 years ago. I haven't barefooted but once in probably 15+ years. And that was on the cable. No front flips though. Tumble turns and deep water starts was about it.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
I will have something for you guys after this long weekend coming up. The base of whatever it is that we are making will be a love seat sitting on some sort of frame with the 2 boards underneath it. If you guys got any ideas i would be grateful.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2004, 7:05 PM Reply   
While you're waiting, you can check out a failed attempt on one of the earlier version. This shot was taken in the middle of a two person bail. The bike or cones weren't on in this one though.

image/bmptwo man crash
picnicin.bmp (96.1 k)
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2004, 6:56 AM Reply   
The best I have is a twin headboard. It was supposed to go on the campfire at my friends cabin, but we had to get a pull on it first. Sorry, no pics.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
Like this?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Holy crap. That is TALENT!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
long shot..
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
wow, how did you get up on that thing? As david said, that is talent!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-31-2004, 1:10 AM Reply   
About 25 years ago, in the irrigation canal in the desert (Glamis, ca), we used a folding aluminum picnic table, folded in half, pulled by a jeep. Worked pretty good until I had to bail. Driver with a buzz thought I needed to go faster. I bailed at probably 35 mph. Oh yea, concrete canal, not the old dirt one.