Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-17-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Finally going to replace the stock lens on our camera and have decided on the 24-105 based on the reviews. I want a good quality lens with a reasonably good zoom range and this seems to be it. Should I be looking at anything else?

This is the lens that I will want to have on my camera in every day point and shoot like conditions.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-18-2009, 6:50 AM Reply   
That's how I roll for that kind of shooting. You can get a cheaper superzoom with more range but you won't get the tack sharp images an L lens gives.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-18-2009, 7:29 AM Reply   
Thanks, I just saw the other "L" thread too. I think I'd rather have the versatility of the 24-105 and sacrifice just a little bit of quality over the 24-70. My skills, or lack of, probably wouldn't notice the advantage.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-18-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
Image quality is a wash between those two. I'm on my second 24-105 and it's a little better then the first which was pretty much equal with the 24-70 2.8L I had a few years back.

I got the 24-70 off a regular on Fred Miranda who claimed it was the sharpest 24-70 of anyone who had one and was a regular on FM. (haha whatever!) I traded him a 35 f1.4L straight across for it.

You're giving up f2.8 period as far as I'm concerned and perhaps the 24-70 is built a little stronger if you're hard on your lenses, but IQ is the same for all practical purposes.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-18-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich