Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-20-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
This seems like an easy project, but I can't find anything online about it.

Anyone done it ?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-20-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25833&highlight=refinish+teak+pla tform

here ya go.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-20-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
The hardest part of a building a teak platform would be to get mounts that work on your transom. There are some boat recyclers that sell teak platforms used, as well as brackets.
Teak is an expensive wood but if you can find it thick enough you should be able to carpenter one up easily. Teak does not glue well because of it's high oil content. You need to use good screws.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-20-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the link Nacho, but that's about cleaning a teak platform....not making one?

As far as the mounts, i'll just use the ones I already have on my platform.

It looks easy, but I want to make sure that teak can be cut and drilled....I don't want to get it all set up and hit it with the jig-saw and have it explode into a thousand splinters (or something equivalent).
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-20-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
I was thinking of replacing my teak platform because it is all cracked and going to fall apart. My idea was to get a sheet of 3/4" treated plywood and cut to shape then cut out slots in the wood where they go and do a frame around the whole thing with the plywood so on the edge it is 1 1/2" thick. Then get it Rhino Lined and screw on the brackets from my exsisting platform. After everything is said and done it would look just like your average teak platform with Rhino on it. You could get really creative with the middle of the platform and do some custom cut outs or designs. I think it would turn out very good. Someone has to have done this before, any more links?
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-20-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
I would be worried about plywood (even treated) seperating or warping in the heat. It also wouldn't be as strong. I haven't even priced it yet, but can't imagine that a few feet of teak would cost that much ?? It's gotta be cheaper than dropping $600+ for a new one.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-20-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
I've been thinking about making a new platform for my 3 yr old Vride too. The teak is in pretty good shape now. But if I continue to moor it 6 months of the year, and use it 8 or 9 months of the year, year after year, I'm pretty sure it will look as bad as the last one I had..... regardless of how many times I sand it & oil it, sand it & oil it..... geez, I hate that.

Anyway, I've debated on making one out of Trex, probably in the same shape & design as the current swimstep. Then I would take the finished platform in & have it Linexed, smooth with no grit, probably in either black or white. Then apply a sheet of Traxx/Gator Grip to the top.

The bottom line should be under $200 & last for quite a while. When it comes time for me to sell the boat, I will have the stock teak, still in great shape, to sell with the boat.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-20-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Good post I would like to know aswell.

I have a fiberglass platform on my boat now and would rather switch over to a smaller teak unit.

What about using cedar instead?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-20-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Cedar will saturate and get very soft. Redwood might be OK, but Teak is the best wood for immersion or constant water and weathering. When they cut down a Teak tree they have to leave it for two years in the forest before it's light enough to move, or even float. It's hard, saturated with oil, and has long fibers to give it structure. On top of that, it just real pretty.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-20-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
locust would prolly make an excellent swim platform
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-21-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
Okay, I found some more out about it and several people have made them out of cedar, eucaliptys, redwood, Quilla, choicedek & even pine. I'll proably end up using something synthetic to cut down on maintenance needed for the natural woods.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-21-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
What kind of synthetics are you thinking about? Choicedeck?
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
I was thinking about this same subject, my thought was using red oak, very strong and very hard. Of course cover it completely in Rhino lining to seal it from the water..

Any thoughts on oak???
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I built one out of teak, which I bought off of fleabay. Couldn't find any locally.

It's not a hard project at all. With all of the pics on the net it's pretty easy to come up with the design. If you are replacing an existing platform you can follow that design.

For glue, I used gorilla glue and have been very pleased with it after two years of use.