Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-15-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
hey guys...love the site and love the opinions...what are your thoughts on the 199 Tige 2100V limited? I am looking to upgrade from my 1986...and we are not great wakeboarders but also like to ski...so looking for opinions...and any pictures would be great...thanks again..
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-17-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
I would imagine it'll work great for everything, 21' V w/ weight will be a big wake
does it have TAPS?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-17-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
That is a well-built and reliable boat, but I'm not a big fan of that hull. It throws a big, steep wake, but it has big spray pockets that foam up the lip badly. It is also low freeboard, and will dip the nose fairly easily. The catch-22 is that it throws the best wake when it's heavy in front. As long as you keep it on plane (nose out of the water) it has a great rough-water ride, especially with TAPS.

If it has a Merc engine in it, make sure the vapor lock issue has been fixed with an in-tank pump.

One more little thing - the vinyl Tigé used in that era isn't great quality, and doesn't last as long as it should, but that's easy to fix when it does give up.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-17-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
One more - it will throw a very nice surf wake if set up properly.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have an '01 21V ( Same Hull) and I like it a lot. I don't notice the spray that everyone yacks about. We ride at 22.5-23 (GPS Confirmed)with 350 lbs in each of the rear lockers and the TAPS set at between 4-5 ( with 3 people on board) and the wake is good. I'd like to get a center tank ( About 700 LBS) and I think the wake woud really be great. This is a well built boat and I certainly wouldn't trade it just to improve the wake. BTW- The Surf Wake is AWESOME. I put both 350 LB bags in one rear locker, set the taps at 4-5 and go 11.7 mph and the wake will curl to about 4 ft high. You can ride almost 15 feet back on the wake with my board- ( a 5'5 CWB).
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-18-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info...this helps a lot...does anyone have any experience with the ski wake? I know it is a v-drive, we aren't great skiers...but got a friend that is pretty good skiing...not thta he would care. Also how is that motor, the Merc 350...which is I think 315HP...any issues I should know of or ask about? thanks again
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-18-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
Good motor, but prone to vapor lock (which is an easy fix with the in-tank pump). You can get parts for Mercs almost anywhere. The raw water pump design makes it a little bit more hassle to change the impeller than other boats, but that's really no big deal.

I think it's all perspective on the slalom wake. From what I've always heard, any V-drive is a better slalom boat than any I/O, but if you're coming from a 19' closed-bow you're going to be disappointed. TAPS all the way down will help with the ski wake too.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
I don't know about the vapor lock thing- I've had my boat with the same engine since July 01 and it's never done that. the impeller is a bear to get to though.. Ski wake.. Well, When I got my Tige I was doing a lot of slalom skiing and almost NO boarding. The Ski wake is about as good as you're going to get from any V-drive. At 15 off, there's one soft bump going 32 mph. At 36 there's only a slight trough and rise( Taps at 0). I used to run the course at 22 off, 36 mph behind a 19 ft. Nautique- and the Tige wake is no where near this level. But if you're going to do that you need a purpose built boat. If you like doing a lot of different things, the Tige is a good machine.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-20-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Great macuhine for boarding & surfing....not sure about sking though....I would suspect it would be comparable to any heavier V drive boat...never had a vapor lock issue....but impeller is a biotch as trace says.
If its got the extended pylion for boarding.....trash it and get yourself a tower instead.....if you look hard enough you could prolly find yourseldf a 2001-2004 tige tower for cheap.....don't get one older than that as they rattle to much....
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-20-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
The one I am looking at has a tower and taps...but only read about it so far...no pics yet...I am planning on heading up and checking it out soon. I am also looking at a 2001 21i...but am afraid that will have no wake...so still trying to get ideas...priced at 19K for the 2001 21i and 23K for the 1999 2100V...thoughts?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-21-2007, 5:44 AM Reply   
Go get the 21V- If you like wakeboarding more than skiing and want the room, you'll be very happy.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-21-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
If your a wakeboarder...get the V-drive...it might cost you a couple more K, but you'll be able to sell it when you want to, and get a better dollar for it too. Every wakeborder (ok not every....but just about every) who first gets a direct drive, will eventually get a V drive. My stress here is on wakeboarding/wakesurfing.....if yu like to strap on a plank once in a while...then you might consider direct drive.....some will/might argue about some of the newer model direct drives......but the point is simple....as a boarder you want more weight in the rear of your boat...the more there.....the less you have to put there.....get the 21V.....

things to watch on older tige's:
-gel coat cracks, usually minor.
-tower rattle
-interior seat wear and tears along the seams
-and question them about there maintenance schedule....It would surprise you how many people never change their oil/filter/impeller etc unless they have too...

pic of my old tige set to sleep...

Upload