Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-07-2013, 4:31 AM Reply   
Wow, just saw that Dallas signed on with Ronix this weekend. Huge move, never thought i would see her leave Obrien. Congrats to Dallas!
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-07-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
I think that's a good move for all parties.

She did post a ronix pic on her Instagram 2 weeks ago.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-07-2013, 8:58 AM Reply   
I can't remember the last time I saw anyone on an OBrien wakeboard.
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       10-07-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
yo check out Jeff Langly man. He rides for Obrien and KILLS IT.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-08-2013, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Easy there killer. Clearly you have not opened a Alliance or Wakeboard Mag recently. Langley is on Fire, the Breddas are changing cable riding, JB O'Neill is killing it, not to mention the OG's Sean O'Brien, D. Watkins, Ennen, and all the young bucks on the team. I could go on and on, but you have all heard me before. O'Brien has a great team and amazing product, Chris Johnson, the head engineer at O'Brien is one of the most brilliant wakeboard minds I have ever met, we can all thank him for a lot of industry firsts.

I have no idea why Dallas left, but same can be said about a lot of people switching companies. Not that any one took notice but Dallas was not mentioned in the 2014 O'Brien Gear Guide. I have been in the wakeboard game for 20+ years, it's happened before and it will happen again. You think someone is the face of a brand then suddenly they are riding a CRTL, if you get my drift.

At any rate I have nothing but praise for the O'Brien Team, so many amazing heavy hitters and heavily stacked with sick up and comers in the wake game, the future is looking rad as usual!

And Yeah, Shapiro hasn't been on an O'Brien board since like 2000. HA!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-08-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
Easy there killer. Clearly you have not opened a Alliance or Wakeboard Mag recently.
Yeah. To be fair if it isn't on someone's feet riding at OWC I'm not going to see it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Paging Mr. Nitzel
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-07-2013, 12:07 PM Reply   
O'Brien have a great young team imho. They just don't seem to have the marketing clout of the big guns.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-07-2013, 1:54 PM Reply   
I ride ĦO'Brien!

to bad for O'Brien though, next to Shapiro and Watkins, she was the biggest name to be on the team
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-07-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
Shapiro's been gone years. Rode liquid force last I saw.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-07-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Shapiro's been gone years. Rode liquid force last I saw.
apparently you don't understand "was" is a past tense verb
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-08-2013, 12:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
apparently you don't understand "was" is a past tense verb
Easy tiger...... Your "was" was in reference the Dallas, previous to that you had mentioned, without reference to tense, a former and current team rider collectively. I did not mean to offend.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-08-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Easy tiger...... Your "was" was in reference the Dallas, previous to that you had mentioned, without reference to tense, a former and current team rider collectively. I did not mean to offend.
ok ok ok, I'll forgive you this one time...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-08-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
Obrien still makes wakeboards? :-)

I think it all depends on where you are in the country. In the DFW area I haven't seen anybody riding an Obrien wakeboard in 10 years to be honest. I didn't see many more CWB's either until a couple of local cable parks partnered with them. But I know these brands are bigger in other parts of the country. Obviosly tthe Cali scene seems big on CWB but nobody was riding them here locally until the last couple of years.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-07-2013, 5:06 PM Reply   
those three WERE (past tense) the most recognizable riders on the O'Brien team. but yes the video or two I've seen (past tense) had the retired pro on a liquid force.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-07-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
How does it work for her now? Is she part of the ownership group, like original crew, or is she just considered a team rider? Actually not sure how that works for everyone with Ronix.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-07-2013, 8:07 PM Reply   
I also ride on Obrien gear and love it!

Josh Sanders was also a big name for them, becoming the first foreigner to ever win the overall US Pro Tour title in 2005.

Sad to see Dallas leave Obrien but I hope she continues to come back strong after overcoming several serious injuries over the years.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-07-2013, 8:44 PM Reply   
Very cool for Dallas and Ronix. As far as successful riders go, it wouldn't surprise me if investment was part of the interest in signing with Ronix... I don't know if part ownership would come up... only so many pieces of that pie to go around.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2013, 8:52 PM Reply   
Copeland-Durham having "stock" and not Dallas would be quite awkward
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-07-2013, 9:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Copeland-Durham having "stock" and not Dallas would be quite awkward
Not necessarily. Emily was there from the beginning. Dallas has been around long enough to understand that. However, she is still a "name", so i could see her being a part of the "ownership group" or whatever you call it. Good for her either way.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2013, 9:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
Not necessarily. Emily was there from the beginning. Dallas has been around long enough to understand that. However, she is still a "name", so i could see her being a part of the "ownership group" or whatever you call it. Good for her either way.
Sorry, but I'm not sure what your point was? My point was, if Dallas wasn't given any "ownership", and Emily has hers from the beginning (nothing's wrong with that), that it would be awkward, because face it, who's name is going to sell boards.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-07-2013, 9:41 PM Reply   
My point was that dallas prob doesnt care if she has an ownership stake at this point. Emily is far from being a competitive rider, and is prob more about the business side of things. Ronix doesnt need dallas to sell boards. They do ok as it is already. Wasnt taking a jab at you or anything.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-08-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
I think this is a great move for both parties. Dallas is classic and still relevant. I hope this gets her riding out there more.

Last edited by wakeworld; 09-13-2014 at 2:41 PM.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       10-08-2013, 4:22 PM Reply   
From what I've been told, Dallas didn't leave, but Obrien dropped her. Her contract was up, and though she is a massive name for female riders and always will be, she had stopped doing much for the company. On many occasions Obrien tried to get Dallas to do a girls camp, but she never would. She'd want more money than Obrien would make from the camp. No matter what it was, Dallas wouldn't help out unless she got more money, or if she even considered it at all. where Tarah Mikacich started doing a lot for the company and in the industry. So they made her a pro model. Ironically, the week that Obrien dropped her, she won worlds. But this is just what I've heard.
Old     (wakosaurus)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-08-2013, 9:23 PM Reply   
I have to admit OB has dropped the ball in some areas. But they need to get rid of the driftwood and blood the brand with some new talents which is being done.
I have ridden OB and there product is great but is noted " not as cool as some other brands". I don't care if its cool or not as long as it performs! And it does. Look where CWB was before they dropped and totally changed and blooded new talents. OB is next in line. Good luck Dallas with the tail end of your career and good luck to the highest bidder !!
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-09-2013, 3:56 AM Reply   
From an outside point of view OB might have the history but I think its brand looks weak against other brands.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-09-2013, 5:42 AM Reply   
I like a lot of the O'Brien stuff but they do need to get their act together with their website. It always has bad links and outdated material.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-09-2013, 6:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_mi View Post
I like a lot of the O'Brien stuff but they do need to get their act together with their website. It always has bad links and outdated material.
Big changes in the website coming soon.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-09-2013, 8:52 AM Reply   
is it just me or has the Ronix website been down for like a month?
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-09-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Jon..probably re-formating/re-branding it to stay ahead of the curve.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-09-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
We have 4 riders with O'Brien boards in my crew in AZ and there isn't an O'Brien dealer here. We're not affiliated, connected with or getting any hookups from O'Brien in any way either.

We just know how to sniff out the best boards in the industry. ;-)
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-10-2013, 7:40 PM Reply   
^^^^ Agree
Old     (jordanleininger21)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-10-2013, 9:01 PM Reply   
^^^^ dang
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-10-2013, 9:30 PM Reply   
what the hell is up with her shades???
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-12-2013, 3:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
what the hell is up with her shades???
She was wearing shades?!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-11-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
Probably borrowed them from her mom.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-12-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
hahahaha! I was waiting for someone to say something like that!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-22-2013, 12:27 PM Reply   
This thread is worthless without more pics. You're welcome.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-22-2013, 9:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
This thread is worthless without more pics. You're welcome.
You're welcome again...straight from her FB page.
Attached Images

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-25-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
^^^^ Yum !^^^^
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-22-2013, 12:44 PM Reply   
Dallas Friday (amazing rider) hooked up with Ronix (amazing board company) you can't get any better! Go Dallas!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-22-2013, 12:48 PM Reply   
Only input I can give is a suggestion to listen to what Ryan has to say...aside from Dallas, he's the next best source.

Ryan - Bummer I missed Pete's wedding, I hope you all had a blast!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-22-2013, 1:06 PM Reply   
Ronix is pretty big at OWC. Lot of people like them. Pretty much seemed like a business decision between the two of them. Everybody does it, but when it comes to sports it seems that the public likes to stick their sense of loyalty into the equation.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-25-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
^was waiting for that to hit this thread lol
Love Dallas, more power to her and I hope her career choices, whatever they may be work out for her best.
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-25-2013, 10:50 PM Reply   
Every time a Dallas picture is posted a young rider learns their first invert.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-11-2013, 1:38 PM Reply   
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-09-2013, 11:42 AM Reply   
On the ronix site comment, it may be down because there is new content coming but I'm a software developer by trade and there is objectively a way to upgrade a site and a way not to. You leave the old site up until you have the updates ready to go and make the shift overnight. Your downtime should be measured in seconds or minutes - not hours days and weeks. From a purely technical standpoint it was objectively a mistake to leave their site down for this long - especially considering the launch of 2014 gear is out on other sites. It would be the equivalent of a hardware store closing it's doors and hanging a "be back soon" sign on the door for when they get some more tools in stock. You just don't do that.

Back on topic, I personally am happy Dallas is making the move. Not to offend the Obrien fans here but in my mind ronix is a bigger brand and lends itself more to her name and iconic nature. If it's true about her not wanting to put on wakeboard camps for girls and spread the sport that kind of stinks, but I guess it depends if you are paying your rider enough to support the lifestyle they want. If Dallas had to hold a job on the side, I would respond the same way "make it worth my time, or no is the answer". Not having the details of how much a professional wakeboarder actually makes I will reserve judgement.

Last edited by wakeworld; 09-13-2014 at 2:35 PM.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-10-2013, 6:36 PM Reply   
Lets keep things in perspective..
Attached Images

Old     (winchinretention)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-21-2013, 10:38 AM Reply   
Bottom line is... Dallas signed a huge contract BACK in her prime. She's not there anymore, O'brien needed to make some room and decided not to renew her contract.
Old     (ryanjones)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-22-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchinretention View Post
Bottom line is... Dallas signed a huge contract BACK in her prime. She's not there anymore, O'brien needed to make some room and decided not to renew her contract.
Ha... She is the current World Champion... You mean obrien can't afford anymore..