Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2LakeWake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-13-2013, 6:11 PM Reply   
Re-wiring my dock this spring.....any suggestions as far as:

types of lights under roof over boat
spots/floods outside of dock
locations of electrical outlets
etc......

Pics are appreciated.......
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-14-2013, 12:02 AM Reply   
I did the dock behind my parents place on the water when I was an electrician and stored my boat on a lift there. It was a U dock, I stubbed up 3/4" rigid nipples with weatherproof outlets topped with 25 watt mushroom lights on the inside rear corners of the U and had another one on the far side across the dock at the front of the boat. The dock had a canvas canopy with a steel frame. I had a motion activated dual head flood light directly over the boat. There was always plenty of light, and a 25' extension cord reached everything from one of the 3 outlets. I also had a 30amp/220V powerbox for a big boat that was never used. The dock lights were controlled by a timer and I had a bypass switch to turn the lights on inside the house if needed. I also had a big 500W halogen flood that shined on the dock controlled by a switch next to the master bedroom overlooking the dock below. This setup proved to be very secure and functional.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-14-2013, 12:22 PM Reply   
Please be very careful.
Fresh water is deadly.

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/maga...k-Drowning.asp
Old     (2LakeWake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-19-2013, 11:30 AM Reply   
I hear that Baitkiller......not our first rodeo, but appreciate the informative article.....

The reason I am re-wiring is the previous owner, let's just say, spared every expense, when they originally wired it. Electrocution is my main reason for rewiring. I have exposed wires all over the dock and don't want to chance the water/electricity combo.