Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakersam)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-18-2013, 11:24 AM Reply   
Does any know a good place to do wakeboarding in Hawaii?

I do know that the watersports centre conducts it but it is way too expensive to really do it frequently due to its tourist pricing.

I am currently on an exchange programme in Hawaii with a competition coming up in July. Really don't wanna be held random by the premium charged at the watersports centre.

Any advice or recommendations?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-18-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
Sam, are you on Oahu? If not, which island are you on?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-18-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
Yeah which island are you on? Kauai? Oahu? Big isle?
Old     (wakersam)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-19-2013, 12:51 AM Reply   
Oahu! I am in UHM (University of Hawaii at Manoa). PLEASE tell me you guys have an alternative for me!

PM me if you have anything! Thank you! I am going down to water sports centre to satisfy my wakeboarding cravings at 11am tomorrow. Do drop a PM if you are there as well. We can talk about alternative wakeboarding places. I heard that hawaii kai is a possible alternative
Old     (wakersam)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-19-2013, 12:53 AM Reply   
Oh ! One more thing, TheBus does not allow wakeboards on board right? I am intending to get my harley board while I am here
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-19-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
Sam,
If you're going to Hawaii Water Sports at Koko Marina, that is the same place in Hawaii Kai. Yes, you can wakeboard there but they aren't allowed to weight the boats down per water regulations in that area, and also, they have to run circles which cause a lot of rollers. Finally, because they share that waterway with other water industries like the scuba & parasailing businesses, that also makes the water choppy.

You can try posting a message on www.oahuwaterskiclub.com (my home club) and see if you can get a pull from one of the members. Most of the club are slalom skiers, the majority of the wakeboard members has declined over the years unfortunately. But you may get lucky. The clubs are located at Keehi Lagoon but you need to be connected with a club member to use the clubhouses. Also, the site is located about a 1/4 mile off shore so you can only access it by boat.

There's also another really active club out there called Na Alii waterski club but I don't think they have a website.

As for the bus, you may be able to carry your board on the bus but I'm not sure. They allow boogie boards so you may get lucky. If you get in touch with anyone at Keehi Lagoon though, you're going to have to find a way to get to the docks because it's a far walk from where the bus would drop you off near Sand Island.

I only come home to visit my family usually in the spring time for a couple of weeks but I'm not sure yet if I'll be coming home this year. I hope it works out for you!
Old     (wakersam)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-19-2013, 6:13 PM Reply   
Just came back from Watersports Centre. The water was really choppy and I couldn't have a decent run. =( I couldn't even do a proper layout. Definitely not a place for serious wakeboarding.

I have contacted and talked to the president of the oahuwaterski club and he told me that unless I have a boat, I should look elsewhere. He did refer me to Na Alii but both of us have no idea how to contact the administrators over there. So yeah, training here is virtually impossible. =(