Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-19-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
not sure whats going on here. fit is terrible, ive got teh bolts cranked,and there tight holding them from swiveling at all, but there a 1/6" gap under the base under the toe, and a little over a 1/4" gap under the heel!

sucks!

any ideas?

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-19-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
Are those new boots?
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-19-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
no same boots from last year...
09 reliks (from last season)
10 ibex (brand new)

is there any aluminum (plate) in the base plate? if so im wondering if i could take the binding off, put a pole/tube under the middle and attempt to bend the toe and heel down to bend the plate. if it some kind of resin/composite then that wouldnt work.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-19-2011, 5:13 PM Reply   
4pcs: 10-20 small OD washers

About $0.30 total and if you want to get crazy, go stainless (.80).
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-19-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
I'm not sure, but it kind of looks like the plate may be warped. Is it just the one boot? I'm not sure about the construction, but I would probably contact Ronix before trying to bend it.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-19-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
Don't sweat a little lift. Just shred it.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-19-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
My Cells were like this too. I contacted ronix and they gave me a smoking deal on some 2011's.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-19-2011, 6:09 PM Reply   
its both bindings, they have the identical amount of gap.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-19-2011, 10:01 PM Reply   
I've seen this a few times when people were trying to mount Ronix bindings on a demo SINE I had. We had to run with washers in the boat for this very reason. Never seen it when they were trying to mount Ronix on Ronix.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2011, 10:09 PM Reply   
Mine do that too. Did you put them on and walk around in them before you mounted them? Because I did that, and I'm pretty sure thats what warped them (supid I know). Washers wont solve your problem. It might be worth bending them back (didnt work for me, but give it a shot), and otherwise, go Levi's route.
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       01-19-2011, 11:09 PM Reply   
Ronix bases warp, pretty well known fact, feel awesome when you first buy them, then after a few months there stuffed.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-20-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
I had a pair of 2010 Cells that that happened to right away, I rode with them for a summer without problems then showed them to the guys at Performance. They told me to contact my local Ronix rep who told me to take pictures of them and send them in so they could replace them. They sent me a pair of 2011 Cells a week or two after I sent my old ones in.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-20-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
sad part is, even if they did offer to replace them (my 1 year was up on them 4 days ago)
i really dont want a new set of reliks. i like this older style much better. dont care for the shiny new ones. they look like some kind of vinyl lingerie.

i may see if i can find a 1/4" rubber mat and cut a heal out of it and glue it underneith.

does anyone know if the baseplate has a aluminum core? or is it all fiberglass/composite?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-20-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
(I hate that I feel like I say this often, but..) I've been riding a long time and have been riding the ronix boots since they went to he 6" pattern.

Does it really matter?? I know the industry has preached the importance of any heel and toe lift for years and it probably serves them right to mis-market and get a 1000 pairs of warranty bindings cramed down their throat, but does a little heel and toe lift really matter. All the pairs of Ronix bindings I have owned have done this (I put in 200 days a year). About the time I get a little lift is the same time they start fitting like a dream. I have never felt a loss in performance only an increase and comfort as they break-in.

Times are tough in the wake industry and even a company like Ronix that seems larger than life in their marketing is still ran from a shed by a lake and owned by a group of riders trying to scrape a living. As riders, what grace do we owe the industry? I used to work at a shop and bindings would come in with a broken lace and people would demand a new set.. How about a trip to the hardware store? Products fail and break and manufacturers should repace defective products, but are the bindings above defective? I ride mine just like that and I has caused me no harm or loss.

I guess I am saying warrantys can really hurt your local shop (shipping) and can kill a wake company. Think about the industry before you extend your "warranty sponsorship".

Maybe I am from an older mold, but I expect to modify, patch and rock my gear as is. I would ride those bindings until something really breaks.

--I am not affiliated with Ronix or any company for that matter.

**Corey, It appears you are on track. A well broken in set of bindings should not be easily given up. You submitted your post before I finished mine.**

Last edited by skiboarder; 01-20-2011 at 8:10 AM. Reason: Added note
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-20-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
"i may see if i can find a 1/4" rubber mat and cut a heal out of it and glue it underneath."

That would probably be my approach. I found the box for my 09 Cells, but it doesn't mention the construction and unfortunately, my board is not accessible at the moment.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-20-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
I have to say I love RONIX stuff but had to dump my cells. Had nothing but problems with heal lift in my cells and fit no matter how many times I heated them move the J bars. I emailed back and forth with them and it was the same answer. Really was not impressed with how they handled it. I went to watsons bindings had one minor issue and bam brand new binding and ride a Viva. Good luck with it love my board just very scared of ever trying their bindings out again.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-20-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
Justin I agree with you in that I have done significant modification to my Slingshot PB Floyds. I converted the one long single lace to a two zone lace system and even added different eyelets because I didn't like the boot-like hooks that they used. My laces have broke 3 times and i have had to replace the lace lock too.

I also see where youre coming from on the companies shooting themselves in the foot for preaching no toe/heel lift. I have experienced the frustration from the first gen ronix boots warping badly. True I never caught an edge or underroptated a trick becasue of it, it was more of an intergrity of the co/product issue for me. I have talked to a couple of people with the new onix boots and was plannning on buying these exact boots this year. This has made me rethink this decision.

The problem that i had with my first gen ronix boots is that I did put inserts on the bottom of them to close the gap, but now you are treating the symptoms rather than preventing in the first place. over time they will continue to warp and get worse (at least mine did)

Does anyone have boots that have remained locked to the boad in the heel and toe? I would be curious to know. Sorry to see this happen corey
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-20-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
Corey,

Sorry to hear about your problem. This issue with the baseplates has been an issue that I've seen in the majority of the current generation of the Ronix baseless plates. The material that's used for some reason seems to warp in that direction. My '09 Cells have done the same thing. It's a very minimal factor in the riding, in fact, it's not even noticeable in my opinion. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a pair of 2011 Ronix bindings yet, but I'm sure this has been an issue they've had to analyze and look at and troubleshoot for new product.

-Ben
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-20-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
The whole point of the baseless system was to put you "closer" to the board. It would appear from your picture that you are actually farther away from the board. I don't like the idea of having to work on something to make it operate well if I am spending $400+ on it. For that kind of money, it should work as advertised.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
^^^^ding, ding, ding. And if it doesn't it should be replaced.

Looks like they added some rocker to the bindings!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-20-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
I hope no one spends $400+ on bindings! But I understand your thinking. Whatever the price, we pay good money for gear and shouldn't be expected to re-engineer these products. Isn't that what prototypes are for? I can see if your bindings are out of warranty and it's an easy fix to get some more life out of them. That being said, my 09 Ones have no space under the toes or heels. And they are my favorite binding by far to date and I've owned HL, LF and a few others over the years.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-20-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
I think the only times that heel and toe lift really cause problems is when the laces that are too long get caught underneath of the binding, or when people get fingers stuck underneath a lifted boot during a grab gone wrong.

Liquid Force took a huge hit with the air pockets on bindings blowing out. They were kind enough to replace my 09 LTDs when they were outside of warranty when that happened to me for the second time. They took the problem and owned it, and now they've fixed it for good with the new style of their 11 bindings. If this is a recurring problem with Ronix bindings then they may need to start working on that problem itself.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-20-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
My old cells did this too. I ended up making a shims for both the toe and heel to eliminate the gap. I had quite a bit of movement in the boots with rocking back and fourth. It was also annoying as the laces would get stuck under the heel or toe and I was always scared I was gonna break them.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-20-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
I can't believe so many people make a fuss of this. I ride Ronix exclusively, 3-4 days a week, and yeah, I've noticed the plates warp a bit, but It doesn't hinder performance at all. Im still using the same set of 2011 ones that I got the day they became available, and I've had what is by far my most progressive season using the same pair all along.

Try this:Put your board on and lean forward like a toeside cut, and I don't care what brand your boots are, but the heels will lift up. It doesn't delay your edging, and after all this isn't slalom skiing where you have to make lightning fast edge changes. Mind you, the pros who put their names on these boots ride them out of the box, just like everyone else does, and I can assure you the guys like Danny, Chad, and Parks arent picking up a new pair every set because the plates warp a bit.

I really like justin's perspective on things. Getting replacements for minor issues only causes problems for everyone involved. You're not gonna make many friends at your local pro-shop If you want to warranty boots for stuff caused by regular wear and tear or cosmetic issues. You also put a financial burden on the shop and the mfr.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-20-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
For the record, I love me some Cells
Old     (GilbertoSherman)      Join Date: May 2013       05-13-2013, 4:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
sad part is, even if they did offer to replace them (my 1 year was up on them 4 days ago)
i really dont want a new set of reliks. i like this older style much better. dont care for the shiny new ones. they look like some kind of vinyl lingerie.

i may see if i can find a 1/4" rubber mat and cut a heal out of it and glue it underneith.

does anyone know if the baseplate has a aluminum core? or is it all fiberglass/composite?
It is horrible as I am facing similar problem. I really want some way to replace it as I dont have extra money now. Do you have some solution to come out of the toruble
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-13-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
In all honesty, if you take a look a most any pros bindings from any manufacturer you will notice a certain about of lift and even plate bend taking place. There are a few horrendous examples through history, but the switch to the 6" pattern cured most of the problems. Where the rubber hits the road, you will have no loss of performance.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-13-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
I put a little bit of foam that was tape on one side under the toe and heel and it helped.
Old     (GilbertoSherman)      Join Date: May 2013       05-13-2013, 9:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertoSherman View Post
i really dont want a new set of reliks. i like this older style much better. dont care for the shiny new ones. they look like some kind of vinyl
cheap lingeries.

It is horrible as I am facing similar problem. I really want some way to replace it as I dont have extra money now. Do you have some solution to come out of the toruble
Thanks for helping me out..