Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-03-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
Hello,

As the title says, I'm a big guy (6' 245lb) who has let himself go over the winter. Oh well. Just bought a new boat for the family and I'm looking for a wakeboard for myself and for friends/guests/other newbies. Two I'm looking at are the Hyperlite State 145 and the Ronix One 146. I think the Ronix might be geared to better riders but thought I would ask you guys. Any other suggestions/recommendations?

I used to ski long long ago. Don't snowboard so my skill level is pretty remedial. I want something fun, easy and hopefully I won't outgrow it rapidly.

Thanks
Old     (Lakemiltonwake)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-03-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
I know a few guys your size or bigger that ride quite well. My favorite "beginner" (and I use that term lightly) board has always been the Liquid Force Trip. I think it's a very stable solid platform for people who are just getting in to riding yet it leaves a lot of room for progression and you won't outgrow it. It's made in a 142 or 146 which I think either of the two can fit you. It's your choice whether you want something a little bit on the big side for more stability, or something a little bit smaller that more of your guests can ride since it sounds like you will be sharing it.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       04-03-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
Since you just bought a boat. I assume you are buying through the same place. What brands do they sell? Overall, those are both pretty big boards for most people, depending on who is sharing it might feel like trying to ride on a cruise ship. How many people will regularly use the board and how big are they. Guests can put up with whatever is free.
I dont think either board is fine for beginners. There are a few "advanced" board that are difficult for beginners (and even some that are difficult for advanced riders to ride) but in my opinion neither of these boards are challenging for a beginner.
The state has a different edge shape on the toeside of the board. While it might be helpful, if you are sharing the board you really should switch the boots around if someone rides with the other foot forward.
You might also look into the Murray. It comes in a 142, which would work for you. Its a pretty stable board and feels pretty consistent when leaving the wake.

Congrats on the 210.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-03-2011, 11:15 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat! It's going to be a fun summer for ya!!

1+ On the LF Trip. It's a great board! You will want the 146 for sure. The 142 is too small for you. You will be riding low in the water working too hard to carry speed on a smaller board. Bigger the better. Look for a closeout Trip 146 and some really good bindings. If you want to splurge a bit spend the money on the bindings. I love my Ronix One boots. They are super comfy and very light. Try on a bunch of diff brands to see what fits you best.

The One board will be too loose for you right out the gates. You can always graduate to it later on when you develop good edge control.

Good luck!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-04-2011, 4:51 AM Reply   
+2 on the Trip.It's an easy board to learn on.Plus you can usually find a good deal on one at evogear.com
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       04-04-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
+1 again for buying from your local shop. What brands do they sell?
Old     (neverwinter)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-04-2011, 6:47 AM Reply   
+3 on the trip. taught tons of people on that board!
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-04-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I know the local shop sells Hyperlite, Ronix and Obrien and it's likely that they also carry LF. I will check. No question we are supporting the local shop. The kids have already picked out boards and we bought the tubes etc already. No need to worry about them ;-)
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Motive 144 is what I teach people on. I have never had an issue getting anyone up on this board. I will never get rid of it. Everyone I teach how to wakeboard haven gotten up and have the best time of their lives.

I personally just picked up a Liquid Force Trip 138 for my girlfriend, haven't used it yet, but I have herd great things about this board.

I am 6' and 260lbs. I ride a cwb transcend 142. I've never had an issue and personally like the feeling of the 142.

I am no pro, I just enjoy spending time out on the lake with friends and family sharing some good laughs together. I am not looking to get sponsored, lol...

On bindings, spend the extra bucks on something really comfortable, because it makes a day and night difference in your riding... Just speaking from experience.

Enjoy and have fun with your family...