Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    benvh            06-25-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
Hey all,
I'm moving to Charleston, SC at the beginning of Sept. Coming from Michigan I'm pretty pumped...my season is now greatly extended. Is anyone from around there, I'm wondering what the boarding is like down there, where to go etc.
Thx, Ben
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-25-2003, 7:00 AM Reply   
Where do you wakeboard in the Grand Rapids? If your ever looking for a 3rd after 5pm on the weekdays - just let me know.

I go to SC a couple times a year, but I never take my board with me. It is super hot and super humid in the summers.
Old    todd_fish            06-25-2003, 7:38 AM Reply   
Check out the Find a third, Be a third Boards ... There are a few people who ride down there... I'm from the Northern part of the state. The riding up here is awesome... from April to November. It sounds like there are a few good places down there too.
Old    transcoastrider            06-25-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
My family has a summer house near Charleston, over by Kiawah Island. Been going down there since I was a kid and I learned to wakeboard there 3 years ago. Trophy Lakes (843)559-2520 is like 25 minutes from Charleston and they have a couple of MC and 2 man made lakes and a decent shop. Guys at the shop are cool, too. Rates seem competitive for being the only fresh water lake in the immediate area. I ride on the Bohicket Creek (Salt Water) and can find glass in the early mornings up creek from my house. In North Charleston, there is a lake called Bushy Park near Goose Creek. A guy on here told me about this area off of Lake Moultrie. I will be down there 6/29-7/6 on vacation. People are pretty cool so just ask around when you get there...everything is better in the South!
Old    hockeyruss            06-25-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
Ben, I live in Charleston, there is a great W/B community down here. Best of all Bushy Park is a great place to board (in goose creek ) there are also people boarding on the local rivers (Ashley is better than Wando or Cooper). Shoot me an email a week or so before you move here and we'll ride. Here is a pic from my boat on Sunday.
d
Old    transcoastrider            06-25-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
Wakenup- What river are you riding on in that pic? Ashley? I will be staying out at Wadmalaw Island all next week...we should hook up. I will am always looking for people to ride with while down there and for pointers.
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
I just left Charleston. My cousin lives there and we were riding on Bushy Park this weekend. They're always in a red and black 23v wakesetter with a sick ass system (4 kicker tower speakers). He'll be glad to give anyone a pull...especially since he just tore his acl a couple of weeks ago. I'm also moving to charleston in a couple of years.
Old    transcoastrider            06-25-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Jim- I here that...I am trying to find a reason to move back down to Charleston myself...greatest place on earth...I miss the salty air and the lovely ladies.

Rootc- Start taking your board with you next time...it will give you a way to cool off on those Super humid and Super Hot days...Are you referring to Columbia area by chance?
Old    river_rider            06-25-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
Hey All,
If your in the area Mid July, There is a Water Festival in Beaufort ( about 45 mins south ) from July 11th to July 21 st. It is a great time, with tons of Boats, People, Beer, and a different type of music group every night on the water front. I'll be down there so if anyone wants to come down for the day or longer let me know. I'll be happy to give anyone a pull.
Drop me a line if anyone is interested.
Brad
WakeNup-Bring that Malibu of yours so I can test drive it.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-26-2003, 5:38 AM Reply   
Trophy Lakes charges $30 for a 20 minute session. The price goes up from there if you want instruction. They have two man-made ski lakes and use MC boats.

http://www.trophylakes.com/

Bushy Park is definitely the best freshwater boarding in Charleston. If you don't mind saltwater the Ashley (a tidal saltwater river) offers some butter particularly in the mornings and sporatically during the day. I'm looking at it right now out my office window - it looks pretty good, I wish I were out there....

Old    transcoastrider            06-26-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
If you don't mind a little drive from the city, Cherry Point Boat Ramp is an easy put-in for Bohicket Creek. Again, a tidal salt-water creek for those who are not opposed...but face plants definitely taste better in fresh water. Here is a map of the ramp. If you got GPS, here are the coordinates:
Lat: 32 Deg 35' 52" N
Long: 80 Deg 10' 58" W

JimR- Where do you ride on the Ashley River? Working with a view of the butter must be absolute torture.
Cherry Point Boat Ramp Location
Old    river_rider            06-26-2003, 6:20 PM Reply   
Here are some pics of the water fest. in Beaufort if anyone is interested.
Brad

Old    transcoastrider            06-27-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
Leaving at 4:30am Saturday to make the drive from Wilmington, DE to Charleston, SC...674 miles approximately. I do not enjoy that drive but the end result is so worth it...7 days of sun, salt water, and wakeboarding!!! My cell phone is 484.832.0050 in case anyone is looking for a 3rd or wants to be a third in my W/B'ing Hooptie. (check profile)

SC here I come...
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
If you happen to go to Bushy Park anytime sat.-mon. look for a red and black wakesetter. Its ross and jackie they'll be glad to give you a pull. I love Charleston..you'll have a great time!!!
Old    transcoastrider            07-08-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
Jim-

I was at Bushy Park last monday, but no sign of the red and Black wakesetter. Although, I did spot a 7' gator chilling by the boat ramp across from the Cooper River Access ramp. (Personally, I would rather share water with Gators over PWCs anyday.) What end of Bushy Park do your friends ride? I was riding at the SE end.

Charleston rocks for sure...I landed my first backroll on Thursday...post concussion, so I was totally stoked!!! (Not to mention, the ladies are cuter down south) Plus, I do enjoy the fresh water riding over the salt water for sure!

Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2003, 2:29 PM Reply   
They work 4 days on and 4 days off so they are out there at differnt times of the week. I'm suprised they weren't out there. They should be out there sometime this week for sure. Congrats on you roll. Man, being from TN/AR I'm not used to those damn gators....they freak me out. Believe me....that 7 footer is one of the smallest out there. I always have to throw a few back before I ride hehe!! And yes, the ladies are very much hotter in the south!!!!!!!!!!!!!!