Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (benjamin_74)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-13-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
HERE YOU GO...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
WOW!
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-13-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
Am I the only one that thinks that classy looking X45 will look great this year and 10 years from now too? Not so sure that wrap will be so cool 2 years from now.

However, the hinged platform is something I wanted 10 years ago.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
I'm still a huge fan of the Bass boat flake. I love it.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-13-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
man that face scares my children!!....its just nasty
Old    K.B.C.            02-13-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
evil, if you don't like the wrap in two years you can just peel it off and wala....all white
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-13-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
fugly, ditto on the hinged platform...
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-13-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
I think it friggin rocks!!!!!
Old     (dc9669)      Join Date: May 2005       02-13-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
Where did the fins go?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
I wish people would quit saying just peel it off. If you leave that wrap on exposed to the sun for more than a couple of months, when you remove it there is going to be a distinct color difference in the gel. No matter how much you work on the gel that didn't have the wrap, the part that did will be brighter due to the fact it was protected from uv rays.
Old    K.B.C.            02-13-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
^^^that one is white
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-13-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
I do think the x45 is very sweet, it reminds me of another boat I know....

Upload
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
2nd on the X-45 style (or even moreso the X-2 style above). Timeless, classic, and classy.

That clown wrap looks worse than the graffiti graphic X-Star, which I thought was a joke of a photoshop the first time I saw it.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Another vote for the boat above. I love the look of Phat in Cince's 205 Maristar as well. The Maristar line just out classes the X-Star line in my opinion.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-14-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
I think the wrap looks quite good.
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-14-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
I think the clown is a little over the top for a 70+ thousand dollar boat. Reminds my of something you would see wore through the GAYborhood.
Does if come with a pink triangle moniker?

No one has mentioned that the wrap is prone to being scraped of easier than gel coat. How good will it look and what will the impact be on resale if you cannot fix scratches in the picture?

I third Matts boat....TIMELESS COLOR COMBO.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-14-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
I like the wrap but I have to agree with James. This is the typical response I would expect from someone 45 ( according to your profile) who is in the demographic of purchasing a $70k+ boat. why does MC look to their sponsored riders ( early 20's, even teens ) for input on graphic design?

I'm not saying go to the Buick desingers but something more age appropriate, or does MC think families teenage sons have this much influance over their parents?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-14-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
This has less to do with Master Craft's core design principles and more to do with regional marketing. The design/wrap company probably approached this particular dealer and the dealer liked the proposal. Simple as that. It's different. Brings people into the booth.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-14-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
I think they bring their own touch to the table. X-Star a little more aggressive while the X-45 & X-2 take a very clean look. If I remember and Matt hasn't changed his mind that X-2 is up for sale, and Yes it is an X-2!
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
You are correct it is for sale! My new 40th X-star goes into production next week.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
of course if we all agreed on what looks good, we'd all be driving the same exact boat, right?

Diff'rent strokes...it's what makes the world go round.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
I saw that boat at the show, and was blown away. I think it looks bad ass!
Old     (aaronwhitt82)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-14-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
I work for a Marina that deals MasterCraft and we just got a brochure the other day with about 15 or more different wraps you can custom order for the Prostars, X15's, X45's, X Star's and a few others. You can also get the Pro Rider's signature wraps as well. Some of them look pretty sick. I think they are a $4K + option. They will be available sometime in Spring.......
Old     (wakepete)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2008, 1:19 AM Reply   
Cool, People are going to look real classy with those boats hitting the water. Really great for the sport! How much gayer can this industry get.

I love the sport but REALLY MAStercraft is this a Good idea. REALLY!! Are you guys serious about these wraps. I know you read these forums. You cant possibly beleive this crap is going to create any real sustainable value for the company. It may spike some high margins for the dealers but its going to hurt the brands image way more than its worth. Do some market research before you dump this crap on the market.

Put all the time and energy you spend on crap like this into better ballast systems, Better towers, Better construction (No more spider Cracks). I would love to hear that mastercraft spent more money on construction rather than useless crap like this.

Please stop doing this to the mastercraft beleivers im 24 and already feel too old to own a 70,000 dollar boat. Get your management team in check tell whoever does your market research there fired and increase the value of the brand in the customers eyes.

I own a mastercraft so mastercraft owners dont slam me im on there side but want to see them make smart business decisions. What you see in the magazines as rider lifestlyes is a gross misinterpatation of the sport. These guys are anomales not the norm.

Quit trying to impress the 15 year old girls you use in your photo shoots with these terrible graphics. Pro and promo boats are cool but come on!!

(Message edited by wakepete on February 15, 2008)
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-15-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
Geeez Tom, Cool out. Nobody is making you buy one. And are you trying to set a record for saying "crap" the most in one post.
These wraps are just an option and are not hurting the industry.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-15-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
I think some of them are cool, but that one is ugly. 4k for one of those is crazy as well.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-15-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
Um, Tom...relax. I don't like it but I bet there are quite a few that will buy it, especially those that buy new boats every year or two. Some people like to get the attention and this will certainly work for them. In terms of marketing it is a great idea. You charge the customer an extra $4K to market the boat for you. It is much more difficult to market "better construction." That would involve lots of advertising and customer training.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-15-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
To Tom,

Read the thread.

EOM
Old    K.B.C.            02-15-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
Yeah, get over it. Some people actually like them, including myself and I'm a CC owner. I don't give MC a whole lot of props but I like what that they're trying something new...the wraps are WAY WAY WAY better looking than the stupid tribal graphics the boat mfgs were putting on the sides of their boats for years...IMO
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
I don't think that Tom has even looked at MasterCrafts ads in the magazines lately or their brochure and website. While that wrap might not be everyones cup o tea some people will buy them. And that one did what they intended...got the boat attention. I know parents out there that will be going with what their kids want (yeah, there are some spoiled kids in the world) and a wrap would be an awesome way to get what the kids like right now and take it off in a few years when the kids are gone or tastes change. You are then left with the original gel coat scheme.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       02-15-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Cliff...Thanks for the compliment.

Ditto Christy's comment above about the wraps. Wraps are personal preference. MC probably sees an opportunity to make $ while allowing someone to customize there boat outside of normal gel-coat restraints.
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-15-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
Just out of curiosity what type of care do these wraps require?
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-15-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
These wraps are a MasterCraft option but are supplied and designed by a 3rd party. I don't think MasterCraft sunk tons of R&D dollars into this endevour. They are however reaping the rewards, like them or not wraps provide a much better way to customize a boat than air brushing or in gel grapics and more and more boats are going to start useing them. Even Fishing boat companies are using these on their promo boats.

I used to own a 78 CC that needed extensive cosmetic work on the exterior, I would have rather paid 4K for some sort of custom wrap that made it look new than 4K in gel coat repair to make it look like a clean 78.
Old     (wakepete)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Plain and simple its bad for the sport
Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
I don't care for it much either but I don't really agree it's "bad for the sport". If there is a market it will sell, if not this will most likely be the last time we see it.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-15-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
That wrap is probably the only one that is kinda out there. The others are pretty tame. It is similar to the Catalyst wakeskate with a little tweak to not make it a direct copy. Wraps have been around for a little while. Correct Craft has done them and I saw a Malibu on another thread. Looks like a lot manufacturers are promoting their own style of "bad for the sport" imagery.
Old     (wakepete)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
Christy if what I think your saying is the boat companies are like lemmings.

Rich im saying the same thing it will produce a high premium for the dealers. Makes wakeboarding look fake and cheezy for the avg joe schmo to have a laughing clown on the side of the boat.

Please some one provide a knowledgable explanation for the introduction of pro model boats. I dont think escalade has introduced shaq, or 50cent addition trucks. there the same price. Please dont take this personally im not, I just dont understand it. If someone can change my opinion I will admit im wrong.

(Message edited by wakepete on February 15, 2008)
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-15-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
It is just Mastercraft following the others in marketing and so called innovations.

The Camo bu was one of the first if not the first mainstream boat with a wrap.

Advantage boats was one of the first with a pickle hull called the party cat.

MC isn't the innovation leader, it is the innovation copier with the most marketing dollars.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-15-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
tom, maybe not Cadillac, but Ford sure did.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2001-06-07-shaq.htm
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-15-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Pro model boats have been around since before wakeboarding became so mainstream. MC had Sammy Duvall edition boats until the early 2000's. And I've seen people edition cars before, Mazda made a Troy Lee Designs truck, Ford had some Carol Shelby cars, etc.

Everyone has their idea of what makes a cool boat which is why there is such a variety. Every dude with a baja probobaly thinks a wakeboard boat is stupid just like I think most fishing boats are a waist, I hardly think this wrap can be soooo bad for the sport. Look at how many custom bikes get crazy paint jobs, it hasnt ruined anything.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-15-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
Cheers James, way to be original. You burned them good!! When did CC add their wake plate? hmmmm

I also saw that boat at the show. Those colors popped off the boat, looked incredible IMO. There was a thread a few months back that Showed Greg Dick of Hyperlite's X-star, he had that some wrap. It looked sick then too.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
wraps on cars and vans were cool once too.

Upload
Upload
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-15-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Tom, there is a difference between a pro boat with Rusty or Parks graphics & a pro Escalade with Shaq or 50cent. Our sport is a small niche sport where the pros are readily accessible to the average joe. You give a joe the option to look like their hero and people will jump at the opportunity simply for the fact that they can.

Not so much that boat companies are like lemmings, more along the lines of following the demands of a capitalist society. If someone wants something ridiculous you don't want them going elsewhere, you cater to their demands regardless. You may say it is detracting from the sport. I fail to see this. Different strokes for different folks, capitalism at its finest.
Old    K.B.C.            02-15-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
that van is saweeet, bowchichibawa