Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-100-Amp-Delco-Marine-Alternator-Mercruiser-1-Wire_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31284QQihZ024QQite mZ370022416154QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Will this fit on my 351 Ski Nautique 2001 motor. If so will it just be a matter of taking the old one off and putting this one on and beefing up the wires, or will there be more to it?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Doubt it. Your motor is probably a PCM(pleasure craft Marine)engine and if it is the same as my 2001 I use to own it had a motorola style alternator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/105-AMP-MARINE-ALTERNATOR-3208-CAT-VOLVO-MERCURY-MARINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31284QQihZ003QQi temZ130072345240QQtcZphoto

I carry these and they are quite a bit cheaper than the one shown. There are people who have said good things about DB, but for that price it is Chinese knockoff stuff. You will be thanking yourself later if you buy OEM quality stuff, which Leece-Neville is. If you can get a number off your old alternator I can probably get you some options of what will work.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Thanx man, when I get home i'll look at the number and see what I have. But yes, it is the PCM motor, so I guess you are right. I'll post the number on here or email you when I find it out. So, do you own a shop or something?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-12-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
WOW $65 for a what looks like Large case DELCO 100Amp Alternator seems to good to be true. Lets us know how it works Im sure there's alot of people that would love to get a cheep hook up on a HO marine alternator like this

To answer your question Yes this will bolt right on to your 351. One wire is as simple as it say's
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
I just don't know. It does seem too good to be true, which is why I haven't purchased it yet. I'll see how good of a deal Brett can get for me before I decide.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
The alternator I currently have is a

prestolite ALK-6220Y6R
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
bump!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
Brandon, I will get back to you tomorrow when I get back into work. That is a weird number but I will give it a shot.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
ok, thanx Brett
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-13-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
The dbelectrical alts are good. I have been buying from them for every car I have added stereo to for 3 years now. I have one of the Delco in my boat and have no issues for over 1.5 years now. Only 1 person I know of had a problem with the marine alt. If you need to call, talk to Ron.

They are not Chinese knock offs. The alts are hand wound in TN.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on February 13, 2008)
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-13-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
Replaced an older Motorola style with a one-wire and upgraded the charge cable to something more substantial.

Upload

Upload
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-13-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
I purchased my 55A Mando alt from DB. Its identical to the ones skidim sells as a replacement. Pretty sure you'll want a 3-wire though, you can hook up a 1-wire from what I've seen but I don't know how to go about it.

Take a look at these threads:
http://www.the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=673

http://www.the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=504

I still haven't had mine re-tested after my issues with the excite/tach lead. Just be aware that you should do lots of research on the subject and test your own boat before proceeding. Look at diagrams, look at your harness and be sure you know what you're doing. Problems with an electrical system can be costly. Good luck.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-13-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Brandon, still checking on some things. The one wire Delco is a 10si, which is really old technology and Delco doesn't even use any longer. There is a 90% chance that the DB one on there is a cheap knockoff. If you buy stuff from China you can get them for $30-$40. If he replaces them no questions asked though there isn't much risk other than having your boat down for a while. I am going to talk with my shop guy, which might be one of the brightest people in the world when it comes to charging/starting systems. He doesn't like the 1 wire unit very much, but I will find out why and get back to you.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-13-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
I agree with brett
Old     (rongdbelectric)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-14-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:26 pm:

Doubt it. Your motor is probably a PCM(pleasure craft Marine)engine and if it is the same as my 2001 I use to own it had a motorola style alternator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/105-AMP-MARINE-ALTERNATOR-3208-CAT-VOLVO-MERCURY-MARINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31284QQihZ003QQi temZ130072345240QQtcZphoto

I carry these and they are quite a bit cheaper than the one shown. There are people who have said good things about DB, but for that price it is Chinese knockoff stuff. You will be thanking yourself later if you buy OEM quality stuff, which Leece-Neville is. If you can get a number off your old alternator I can probably get you some options of what will work.

And further more If you buy alternators by the thousand you can get them alot cheaper. All our alternators ARE OEM quality built in NASHVILLE, TN. While All of our high amps are built by me in Johnson City, TN. Using hand wound stators that are wound in Chicago. FAR from CHINA.

I will be addressing any questions needed since I dont need to ask the guy in the shop, cause I happen to be him. I have been building alternators for 10 years my self in a shop that has 175 years combined experience. I also am the person responsible for developing/designing/testing ALL the high amp, chrome, and marine Alternators sold by DB. ELECTRICAL.

(Message edited by rongdbelectric on February 14, 2008)
Old     (rongdbelectric)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-14-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
By Brandon Kee (trickyboarder08) on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:25 pm:

The alternator I currently have is a

prestolite ALK-6220Y6R

your alternator has an external regulator, and it will depend on if you have a charge light on the dash, of an actual voltage gauge to determine if you need a 3 wire set up to turn the light out on the dash.

If you have a voltage gauge then you can use the 1 wire set up 10 si.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-14-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
Ron I've got a 06 vlx with the 90 amp alt. Is your 140 amp a direct relacement?
Old     (rongdbelectric)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-14-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:47 am:

Brandon, still checking on some things. The one wire Delco is a 10si, which is really old technology and Delco doesn't even use any longer. There is a 90% chance that the DB one on there is a cheap knockoff. If you buy stuff from China you can get them for $30-$40. If he replaces them no questions asked though there isn't much risk other than having your boat down for a while. I am going to talk with my shop guy, which might be one of the brightest people in the world when it comes to charging/starting systems. He doesn't like the 1 wire unit very much, but I will find out why and get back to you.

The reason the 10 si is used in the place of the OE alternator is because you CANNOT go up in amperage with the OE housings because of size limitations and you can with a 10 SI because there is more room to add winding to the stator and still be able to mount in the OE location. Yes, the 10 si is old technology, but the 10SI AC SE is NOT. The 10 si ac se picks up from the ac side of the diode plate for instance energizeing. It really helps to learn this when you have a direct line to and old delco engineer who helped designed the 10 si.
Old     (rongdbelectric)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-14-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
By nu bu (05mobiuslsv) on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:41 am:

Ron I've got a 06 vlx with the 90 amp alt. Is your 140 amp a direct relacement?
Old     (rongdbelectric)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-14-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
nu bu (05mobiuslsv), dose it have an OE # on the housings?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-14-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
I don't know not near the boat right now. It's the Indmar Monsoon 340 engine if that helps.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-14-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Ron, I'm interested in replacing mine as well. I have a Volvo 7.4 (IO) with a 65 amp alternator. Do you have a direct replacment for it and how much dough? I would like at least a 100 amp but would have no problem with going higher.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-14-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
Ron, if your product is manufactured and assembled in the United States I appologize. It is very impressive if you can do that and sell them for those prices. I had the impression after looking at your website and looking at your product line that it appears to be WAI's units. I am under the impression that their marine units are manufactured in China. I thought that you were purchasing their offshore units then modifying or reboxing them. WAI certainly makes a quality product, but certainly not manufactured or "built" in the United States.

Regardless if Brandon is upgrading his alternator from a 35 or 42 amp alternator he is going to need to upgrade his cabling
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-14-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Ok, now this is getting confused. I just need to upgrade my alternator, Is the one that I listed going to do the job, and yes I know I have to beef up all the wiring.

From what is said I guess I should try the one on ebay?

Ron, do you sell these alternators? Mind posting up you're website?

Ron, what's you
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-14-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Just call them. http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-14-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
THANX!!!