Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    yearling            05-16-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
After a long winter of looking for boats we finally found one right under our nose. Our neighbor two houses down from us is selling an open bow tristar 190. We werent originally looking to spend much more then 10k so it was a good deal. I had a few noobie questions about inboard boats. First off I was wondering if this boat is going to throw a decent wake. From what ive heard the hull is very flat. And I was also wondering where I should place the weight. I was thinking of putting two side sacks (550 each) on the side and toward the back, and then another one in the walk through to the open bow. Is 550 too much to put infront if I only have 1000 on the sides.
Old    yearling            05-16-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
Heres my mach diagram I just quick drew on paint. This is what im looking at doing right now. My question was if I had enought weight towards the back.

mach diagram
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-16-2004, 10:55 PM Reply   
that should be fine.
Old     (mesamc)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
I have the same boat and I think that 550 in the front will be too much. I run 550 on each side of the engine. Sometimes I throw a 350 in the back and just put the cooler up front. The Tristar tends to be front heavy so it doesn't take much weight up front.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-17-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
I agree with Scot. Too much weight up front. In a Tristar, the gas tank is up front, so if you fill up before each time out, that should be plenty.
I have the same boat, and the wake is great. I run one 550 on each side, like in your picture, but slid all the way to the back.
I've done some very useful interior modifications as well as a auto ballast install. Let me know if you want any idea's or pictures.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
I myself have a tristar and I am not to bad I have a couple of buddies that are pretty good.I have about 250 pounds of battery in back and with the tank full I think the wake is great,do use sacks sometimes,but I don't need them.What year and how many hours do you have and what did you pay.
Old    yearling            05-17-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. Ive heard that it was front heavy before. The boat is in perfect condition. We know the guy that we bought it from and he takes really good care of his stuff. Its an 87 with 400 hours and its been garaged every year. Were buying it for 9,000 which may be a little steep but it doesnt have a dent or scratch on the hull and its got a brand new stereo system and perfect pass. We test drove it and it ran great. It seemed worth the price because it was an open bow and we needed the space.

I also had another question. Do you need a certain type of boat lift for inboards because of the tracking fins and the prop. Or do the runners on the lift that hold the boat up just have to raise a little higher?

By the way scott that tower looks great on that boat. I was looking at putting a monster tower on it but that tower looks awsome. Is it a titon? And if you had any other pictures on how you had your ballast set up or your boat in general that would be really cool.

Thanks

(Message edited by yearling on May 17, 2004)