Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
Here's the deal...I have an '01 SAN and have upgraded the stereo to 3 amps totaling 1800 watts RMS. It does not have a heater, shower, or tower lights. I have 3 blue tops, 1 starting and two stereo batts. The stock alt is ~50 amps and can't keep up. I was about to have the stock alt. rewound for ~$250 at Autolectrics in San Jose. He said they could make it a 125 amp alt...then I ran across a Delco 100amp HO alt at a local boat shop for $194 brand new. My questions are:

1) How big an alternator do I need?

2) How big of a circuit breaker do I need to install?

3) And on a side note...How big should my inline fuse be between the batteries and the distribution block? ( I figured 1800 watts/12=150 amp fuse...sound right?)

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any info!
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       03-11-2005, 5:40 AM Reply   
I have an 00 SAN and I got my alternators (yes 2 of them installed in the boat) off of ebay. They are 135amp (270 total amps) 1 wire for 99.00 each. The guy is out of dallas and is great to work with.

later
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-11-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
Shawn, got any numbers or email address for the guy in Dallas?
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       03-11-2005, 6:39 AM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7958662308&catego ry=33573

here is the auction for it. It went up tp 109. His # is listed on the aution.

later
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-11-2005, 6:41 AM Reply   
shawn,

how do you have the alt. wired? Are you running them through a separate fuse block?
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       03-11-2005, 6:49 AM Reply   
I have one to my start batt, and one to the 2 stereo batterys. but I have an isolater so that whwn the boat is running both are charging all 3 of them.
Each has it own circuit breaker.

(Message edited by superair on March 11, 2005)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-11-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
where did you get your cicuit breaker? How big are they? Do you have any pics of the install?
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       03-11-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
150 amp each. No pictures, Any local stereo store will have them. I got the resetable ones.\

Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
shawn- I would like to know more about your dual alternators. Did you make the brackets yourself? How did you fit them? Is there anyway that you can take pics? I may need to add another alternator to my setup.
Thanks very much for any help.
Harold.

Mike todd- I have an 02 SANTE and I have the largest Delco alt. that will fit in the factory location on our boats. I think Autolectrics got about 150 amps out of it. It was somewhere close to that. If you talk to the owner he will remember me...you can hopefully get the same alternator. You can refresh his memory by telling him- "Harold is the one running 9 optimas with the large stereo". I fried 2 alternators by trying to charge all 9 batts after partying all day- now what I do is before we start cranking the stereo up the perko is switched to save 2 batts. Then- when its time to go home- I have 2 fresh batts that the alternator will charge easily.
hope this helps!
Harold.