Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-19-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Looking at one, any experience with this model Centurion? How is the wake? It has 70 hours, they are asking $32,500 w/ storm 1 package, and no perfect pass. I would like to offer 26-28k.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-19-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
32,500 seems a bit steep for that boat, for sure.

wake is all right.
The hull was originally designed to be a v-drive ski boat, but with a decent amount of weight, it makes a ride-able wake.

If I can recall correctly,we used to sell a ton of those things back when they were still making that boat for just barely over what your seller is asking for that one used at almost 6 years old.

low ball it.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-19-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
Too high.

cyclones/lightnings two or three years old are going aoround the 30K mark.

here's and 03 Avy starting at 33K... at that's at a dealer! Never mind its much more boat and wake.

http://www.boats.com/sites/airtimewatersports/boat?entityid=106121081&back=%2Fsites%2Fairtimewat ersports%2Fpreowned&mid=6639&rev_srh=null%3Fsid%3D 87389%26slim%3Dmarinesite%26searchtype%3Dmarinesit e%26uom%3D126%26duom%3D126%26is%3Dfalse%26wuom%3D1 26%26luom%3D126%26ps%3D20%26clk_srcrvs_nav&srh_pre v=true&srh_next=true
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-19-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Cosmocat, your offer price would be much more in line. I have a 2003 Centurion Elite V with two plumbed in rear bags, tower speakers, two 12" subs, and perfect pass. If it were for sale, I would ask about 28-29k for it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Hurricane hull is a lot like the Elite V. The wakes can get pretty steep when using the back bags only. Add some weight up front and it has a very nice ramp with lip.

I noticed the Avy above does not have a trailer, so you can add another 2k to the asking price.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-19-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Yeah WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY tooooo high on that boat. You can get much better Centurion wakeboat(Cyclone,Elite V C4 models) that price with more options and a newer year.

That hull was an older hull. That boat was renamed the Lightning for 2003-2004 as they ran into some trouble with the name. Same identical boat though. So if you are searching look for Lightnings as well. Was a great beginner/intermediate wakeboarder wake. They were Centurions top seller back in 00-2003. Will easily get you inverted, but just won't have the capability of a advanced/pro caliber wake like the Avalanche or the Cyclone will offer you in those years. Problem was that this boat, the Hurricane/Lightning, fit right in between their wakeboats that were designed from the hull up with wakeboarding in mind (Cyclone, Avalanche) The Hurricane/Lightning offered you way more room than the Cyclone and actually costed less due to being an older hull. Most people jumped on that. But the Hurricane/Lightning lacked the pure advanced wake caliber you could get from the Cyclone or the pro caliber wake you could get from the Avalanche.
The boat has a great layout and tons of storage and room. Drives like a dream and handles the chop with ease. If it doesn't have a hydraulic wakeplate....ditch it immediately. That hull def requires the hydraulic wakeplate( AKA Bennett trim tab) to perform at its best. The hull is a little picky on weigh distibution. Have to have the boat balanced side to side correctly for sure. To get a decent intermedite wake you will want to add 300-400 on each side of the engine, fill the stock center tank and add 200-300 in the nose. That will get you a nice firm steep wall all the way back to 75ft.

Decent boat solid performer, but that price is steep for a boat with next to zero options. I owned that exact boat in 2001and also was a rep for the dealer. They were being sold with triple ballast, perfect pass, bennett trim tab,logo cover, 1 gelcoat accent, pilot one, bimin and stereo(depth water temp, air temp) for just a bit more like 34k bak then if you could get it around 26 I would say jump on it
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-19-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Thanks alot for the good info...definitely influences my decision....I might offer 26k out the door, and see what they say.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-20-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Your 26k offer is right on. Even 28k is too high IMO

I looked at virtually the same boat here in Columbus OH. The guy took it off the market for the winter and it'll be back on probably in Feb/March. He was asking 30k and I told him to fix a knick in the gel coat and add Perfect pass and it'll be worth 29k honestly. As is was a 26k boat.
Stick with what you think it's worth and 26k is realistic. Good luck and there are other boats around.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-20-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
NADA for a storm Hurricane I is 22 to 25.5. However, that doesn't account for other options that might be on that boat such as a bimi, cover, stereo, and so on.

I have a 2004 Lightning (also for sale), same hull as the Hurricane. With triple ballast it makes a nice wake with plenty of kick. The Hurricane is a solid boat. The center walk-though adds a ton of strength. They also handle great. I'd say that PP is a must have. Also the hydraulic trim tab is a must have. I’ve had a great experience with my Centurion and I’m looking to buy another.

I was just at a boat show yesterday. New boat prices seem like they have really gone up. List for a CC 230 was $100K, "boat show price $76K." That only helps resale of older boats.

Good luck.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-20-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Edward, do you have a link to your listing?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-20-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
My boat dealer, Mike Smith at Sun Fun is selling the boat for me. He has it on ebay now at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CENTURION-LIGHTNING-Wakeboard-BOAT-TowerMercruiser_W0QQitemZ120209597563QQcmdZViewIte m?hash=item120209597563

It's a red 2004 Lightning, fairly well loaded including FAE. I have a post on Wakeside Rides for my boat at: http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=951

Fourth most visited Centurion on the site. Note the trailer picture was a little photo shop fun. Also note the 10-disk CD changer is gone. I have a dongle in place of the changer that will let you plug an MP3 or iPod in to the CD-Changer RCA jacks but I never brought the CD-Changer wiring to where it was easy to connect to a digital music device.

Mike's web portal is at: http://www.sunfunmarine.com/index.html
Email: mike@sunfunmarine.com

When I sell this boat I'll buy an Enzo SV230.

Upload
Upload
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
Had to figure that was going to happen Can't wait to see the new boat!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Ed - Love that boat man!

Are you close to Louisville OH. by any chance? I am going there in the next couple of days to pick up a Jeep that I bought.

(Message edited by cbk on January 20, 2008)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-20-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
I have to sell the Mighty Lightning first, it's a spouse thing. I'm just getting deeper and deeper in the surfing thing. In December I completed my second cardboard surfboard. It's made from wake surfboard shipping boxes and Pizza Hut boxes. As soon as it warms up a little I'll complete my first traditional surfboard. It's a 9-foot long board with design elements that will hopefully allow some nose riding.

Nate, I've never heard of Louisville, OH, I'm in Columbus.

Anyone hungry to ride a Pizza Hut Box?
Upload

How about Kroger's and Pizza Hut?
Upload

Hi-Jack Over
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-21-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
Just for a point of reference, I bought an 'o4 Lightning similarly equipped for $25K in Jan 07. I am pretty sure I bought below market value though.

I have no regrets with the boat. You can get a solid wake and surf wave out of it if you add the weight that has been suggested, but it is a touchy wake with weight distribution.