Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-19-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
Anyone ever been?? Ive been looking at the RIU Montego Bay Jamaica and the RIU Negril Jamaica. I know Montego Bay is right by the airport so lots of planes flying over and is in a man made bay so muddy bottom and weeds. Some reviews online are terrible but you always have the people that cannot be pleased. On our way to Sandals Negril last year, which we loved, we saw the RIU in Negril and it looked amazing. Any thoughts. Or possibly another place people had a great time. Love Jamaica and really loved Negril. Sticking to what we know unless someone else has some great ideas. ALso jamica seems to be in our price range, about 1300-1500 per person everythign included.
Thanks
Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       01-19-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
We (myself, wife and 2 kids) went to RIU Palace Pacifico in Puerto Vallarta last year and it was great. There was another RUI property a little way up the beach that was no where near as nice - to the point that I would have not liked to stay there. Night and day difference but we were in a much newer property.

No experience of Sandals so I can't compare but I would guess RIU is typically more family oriented.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-19-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
I stay at the Riu in Cabo at least once a year and I would not even think about staying anywhere else!! Tho thumbs up!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-19-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
Yup, I hear the RIU in Cabo is really great, but I would check it out location to location. Try to find some current pics online of rooms and ammenities. Sometimes the lower cost all inclusive options can end up run down and under maintained.

Have fun. Nothing more fun than planning vacations.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-19-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
We just stayed at the Riu Santa Fe in Cabo and the property was beautiful. My major complaint though, was the food. I will admit that I'm a picky eater and I thought it was terrible. My husband, who isn't the least bit picky, thought it was just okay. It also had the cheapest alcohol you've ever seen. Nothing brand name, except Jose Cuervo.

If those things aren't of concern.. I'd definitely recommend the Riu.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-19-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
The Riu Palace in Cabo has better food and Patron!! If you stay at the Santa Fe just flip your wrist band over to the white side and head into palace!!

Last edited by Riteride; 01-19-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-19-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
yep, there are different leveles of the RIU resort...I stayed down at the RIU Caribe ( Cancun) about 2 years ago, hotel was decent, but the food sucked and the alcohol was was worse than any well liquor I've had. It was very cheap to stay. and it's hard to mess up draft beer, lol.

I make it down to these reorst abtou twice a year, by far the best place I've ever stayed on vacation.

http://www.karismahotels.com/
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-19-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
All the Riu's food tastes like cummin!
Old     (69flyguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-19-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
We went to the RIU Sante Fe in Cabo 2 years ago...no complaints.
I would check it out location to location...there are some differences.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-19-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. Yeah im finding that the RIU is sometimes 5 star and sometimes 2 star. the RIU negril is really nice and new, Montego bay not so much. Im on the east coast so Mexico is pretty far. Caribbean is about 3 hrs or so.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-19-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
**** Montego..

Negril EVERY time.. No traffic, no "city", not nearly as much crime, better beaches, calmer water..

The RIU in Negril is nice. We've stayed there.. We went in March last year for 11 days at stayed at Breezes Grand Lido. THAT was nice as well.. RIU or Breezes are good options for Negril if youv'e already done Sandals.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-19-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MveAtWYPA5w

Grand Lido Negril
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-19-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
Jeff, the video you linked produced this result "This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. "

Thanks a ton for the input. Do you know if there is 2 RIU's in negril. when i search it i see, RIU palace tropical bay, and club hotel. Which did u stay at?
I pasted one on the way to Sandals and it looked really nice. BUt i read reveiews and people say it not very good. Maybe one is better then the other?
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-19-2011, 9:06 PM Reply   
A good friend of ours SWEARS by Negril. I'd definitely go there instead of Montego Bay.. any day.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-20-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
I am not said "good friend" but we also SWEAR by Negril. We've been there 6 times and have visited almost everywhere that is "popular" in the Carribbean..

No clue why my link isn't working up above.. I can't view it when I'm not logged into Youtube but can view it when I am logged in?

http://www.youtube.com/user/JeffWadh.../0/MveAtWYPA5w
Old     (cpboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-20-2011, 11:16 PM Reply   
I'm heading to Cabo for Spring Break at the end of March and am planning on staying at the RIU Palace. Anyone have some info on this place? Good or bad? How's the walk down to The Office and other places down the beach?
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-21-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
The walk is a lot further than I expected.. but it's beautiful. Cab rides from the Riu are pretty pricey, too. If you are going to The Office.. do yourself a favor and try Baja Cantina. Amazing.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
Cabo Riu is awesome. Do 2 things for sure

Steak and lobster dinner at the trailer park- trust me

head to squid row late night
Old     (cpboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-24-2011, 12:21 AM Reply   
Great recommendations, Matt! Did both of those last Spring Break, multiple times. Trailer Park twice, and Squid Row probably every night. Good times
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
Taylor....

Mango deck during the day is off the hook the last couple years. Right next door to the office. Baja Cantina is dope for dinner, but not a party spot. Chill. Crazy Lobster is probably my favorite joint in Cabo. Cheap and fun. Feed the servers tequila. It's only $.80/shot.

The walk isn't bad if you're drunk. Ha, ha. Bring a road soda for the cruise.

Have fun.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-24-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
Check out Los Cabos Guide vouchers.... 35% MENU prices, and yes that includes Alcohol... Whatever you don't use you can send back for a full refund. They also have some for activities, shopping, etc but I have only used them for food, never once had an issue
http://loscabosguide.com/discount.htm

Also, check out this link - tons of good info
http://www.trapperscabolist.com/
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-24-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
When you are in Cabo go to the Roadhouse on thursday night for dinner and listen to Peter Beacon, he is awsome and the food is great!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-28-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
Evan - Definitely not a party spot.. but awesome food.. and that's much more something I care about. I'm starting to think I'm a lot older than most of these people posting.. hehehe.