Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-21-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
It ain't perfect - I know. And some won't like the mood of the music. No prob. Here's what I am curious about:

* pointers/suggestions on specific areas that can be improved
* pieces to cut
* sections to change
* thoughts on the different shots (no tube shots this time - forgot the plug!)

One big thing I don't like is that the song transitions to a more solid beat about half-way through, but I don't think the video follows that feel - particularly with all the slo-mo. I'll probably work to change that, speeding up parts in particular.

So, bring on the comments...I'll put up a better quality version (non-youtube) after I make changes.

The Video

(and congrats to Eubanks for finally hitting that hs3 that has caused him so much pain!)
Old    innov8actionsports.com            10-21-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
I think you did a great job Jarram, Cool vid.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-21-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
really good.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-21-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Awesome job.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-21-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
Nice video Jarram, I think the change of pace in the music is good for the video.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-21-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
Alright Jarram,

Such a well put together video, I felt compelled to say something. here is my critique:

- The "reverse" part at the begining is, for lack of a better word, cheesy. When the video follows the song so closely, it's witty, but it REALLY takes away from the real feeling of the clip/film. It feels like you are trying to fit the video to the song, which should be the other way around.

- The "off the teak" into the water footage is...freakin golden. I love the way you put that shot right at the crescendo of the song, it fits perfect. So perfect in fact that I went back to watch it three times.

- On that same note, two things. First of all, after the crescendo starts, the clips need to pick up a tad more, with more riding footage. Take the slow-mo from about 65% (what you had it at...just a guess) to something around 80% - still the same effect (dramatic), but a lot less boring. Also, take a little bit of time out of the underwater "butt shot" of that take-off (personal opinion, no real reason). maybe trim the cuts out a bit, after a while I figured out that they were behind a boat. : P

- The end sequence was also perfect. It got me pumped to see Eubanks hit that HS 3, and be completely stoked. I know the feeling. Just awesome.

As far as sections to change, I would try to show a little bit more "successful" footage at the begining. No one wants to watch people wipe for 2 minutes straight, it gets worn. I really liked the chase shots, maybe throw some more of those in, from a tad closer.

As far as transitions go, try to limit the use of "fade to black". The idea of a transition like that is to not be noticed, and when it is so frequent...it gets noticed. Maybe throw in some dissolve/additive dissolve. Just ideas.

Overall, great job. One of the best done videos I have seen put up on this site. I want to see the final.

Wow, a lot of typing.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-21-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
That was pretty cool.

Danny T.
www.OKCBoardShop.com
www.WaeboardOklahoma.com
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-21-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
Garret,

Great feedback - I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to throw out such specific pointers, and you've gotten me stoked to go back through and really dig into it. Too often, I get satisfied with the first pass after sitting in front of the computer staring at it (combined with listening to the same song over-and-over for 2 hours straight) and just leave it at that.

One question: when you say 'trim the cuts out a bit, after a while I figured out that they were behind a boat.' - can you be more specific? I'm not quite getting where you're going with that...

As for the 'chase footage' (actually shore footage) - I'm limited, unfortunatley. This was the first time to really play with the underwater housing, and that was the result of me swimming to shore w/the camera. I didn't want to be too repetitious with tricks with the limited footage, but may go back to some archives to add variety and work in some of the components you mentioned. AND, like I said above - I forgot the stupid plug for the tube, which will lead to some really nice stuff next time.

Thanks, again - TRULY appreciated. (oh, and thanks to my wife for getting the footage of Eubanks...it's not quite framed to my 'picky likings', but capturing that feeling and HIS wifes reaction was priceless...
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-21-2006, 10:16 PM Reply   
Oh - I've gotta correct the spelling... (although jarram is really how you pronounce it)

it's J-e-rram (like in my name above).

ha! couldn't resist. (maybe you all are just saying that I should change the spelling...)
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-22-2006, 1:08 AM Reply   
Garret:

Ok, I dunno if it was that I was too stuck on making some changes or if it was the fried coke we had today at the Texas State Fair... at any rate, I made some major changes to the FIRST HALF of the video (second half will probably come later this week after my grad mid-term).

* I (uh) cut the cheese (so to speak) Defenitely a good critique and I think it helped the feel a lot.

* One thing that neither of us caught that seemed to click for me when I went back through it was binding the video to the music (which you sort of mentioned as 'the real feeling of the clip/film.' For some reason, I didn't tap into the power of that slow but steady beat in the first part (I tried in the faster section, but didn't feel like it was a smooth enough shot to really 'hold' - that'll probably be changed now when I make changes there). I made a ton of tiny changes that I really think bind the video shots to the music much, much better. But, see for yourself. (I may have over-done this(??) but don't think so...)

* Cut out unnecessary 'butt shots' in the transitional section of the music (agreed with this critique too)

* Added more successful footage at the beginning and took out some of the drawn out, super-super slow-mo junk. Much better feel.

* got rid of some of the fade-to-blacks. point well taken. I left in two as I think they add to the effect I'm trying to draw, but did change both of their timings a bit to get that better audio/video binding.

Overall - much better to this point IMO (although I'm a little biased). Anytime you need feedback...just say the word, bro. I'll defenitly get a higher quality vid up on my personal site when it's done (YouTube just strips too much out-and the timing of the audio to video isn't as snappy as it really is in the HQ .mpg file).

Watch the Video: FIRST EDIT

Here's another, more upbeat video of some of our local Dallas riders from earlier this summer. I haven't spent near the time on it as this current one, but it's fun and will waste some time at work... (Jake is the last on the vid - gotta check out his huge tantrum of the DU)

Watch the Video: Grapevine Lake Morning Set
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-22-2006, 5:11 AM Reply   
froese, great vids...thanks for posting them up. I also got stoked for eubanks...almost wanted to throw my arms up and start applauding at my desk . That feeling is why I love wakeboarding.

In that 2nd vid it looked like brit had a decent bag of tricks (and went big) but was having an off day. Jake also had a good trick set and I liked how he was putting it together. That tantrum off the dub was ginormous...looked like it even caught him off guard.

If I were to offer any advice it would be to try and get some chase boat and/or tube footage to throw in there. Otherwise these are very good amatuer vids.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-22-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
Hey bremsen - thx for the props. You're right - need more variety in shots...and that'll defenitely be a focus next season.

The first tantrum Jake didn't land was actually off of a triple up, and it did catch him by surprise. The footage of the one he did land was off a double up.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-22-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Jerram,

The second edit was a lot better. What i meant by the "cut out" was that when you have footage of a rider riding just straight wake to wake behind a boat, it can get tiring to show the rider cutting out every single time: after the first couple, it is understood that they have to cut out to cut back in, so why show it? However, it looks like you did a lot better with that in the second edit, so good work.

Shots were much more fluent this time. Looked a lot better. Film flows better w/out the but shot.

It is cool to see boarding footage paired with different style music. This is one thing the Ron does very well in films like "Such is Life," and I have always wanted to be able to do that well. Looks like you are well on your way.

By the way, the R2R is the coolest looking trick ever when it's filmed from three-quarter view. Doesn't even look like a roll. That is def. the next trick I want to learn.

The Grapvine shoot was pretty cool. That DU tanny was teaked so bad I thought that guy was going to die...crazy that he almost pulled that out.

What lake did you shoot on?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-22-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
That edited version is sooo sick. I didn't think it could be any better than the first, but it is. The part coming off the platform into the water and then getting up is perfect in every way.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-22-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
Great job Jerram! That video is awesome. We'll definitely have to get some chase boat and tube shots early next year, and I'll be making it more of a point to video the guy that is always behind the lens. The song and my wife's excitement captures the mood so well...I tear up every time!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-22-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
Some love for the camera man...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-22-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
Great vid man. Thanks for sharing
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-22-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
oh wow... the faces we make...
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-22-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
mid-term done. time to finish the video!

We filmed on Grapevine Lake, which is the local lake that I usually ride. It's smack dab between Dallas/Fort Worth.

The current video is filmed at Broken Bow Lake, OK and 'Snake River'.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-23-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
Haha! At least you duplicate the same face every time when you ride! You should be receiving a cd of all the pics today.