Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2004, 8:47 AM Reply   
Hey I have a question about doing HS backrolls..... like when you ride up the wake do you pop up first or do you throw it right off the wake?? Seems like im not getting all the way around. I landed it ounce but I am not sure wut how I did. Everytime I try it I always nose dive it from not gettin all the way around.
Old    shanny            06-20-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
you have to wait untill u r totally in the air before you throw the trick
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-20-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
you really got edge all the way up the wake and hold on with both hands. Its a load and release trick, so you got to have a lot of line tension and use the line tension properly to create your pop, height, and rotation. You are probably nose diving because you are still scared of the trick or you are letting go with your back hand which will stop your rotation.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
im confused on load and release.... i read taht in an issue of wakeboard man and didnt totaly get it.... can you explain wut it isand how to do it.... but thanks for th greatstuff so far!
Chris
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-20-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
chris if you arent getting all the way around, im also willing to bet that you arent getting w2w either, a harder cut should cure all your probs, make sure you have the handle at your hip with both hands and stand tall at the wake.....a harder cut makes the backroll much easier, and its so much better to land on your tail then on your nose
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-20-2004, 3:04 PM Reply   
Yea Chris. Load and release is a term that describes how to properly set up for certain tricks. Bascially what you are doing is leaning back hard on the boat and trying to build line tension. This line tension is the only way to do the flip properly. Proper edging makes you pull against the boat, the tension in the line is what gives you speed and ability to flip while in control. If you build enough line tension then your release off the top of the wake will give you the air you need to land it. Make sure to edge all the way through the wake, you dont have to huck if you edge properly.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-20-2004, 3:20 PM Reply   
Yea Chris. Load and release is a term that describes how to properly set up for certain tricks. Bascially what you are doing is leaning back hard on the boat and trying to build line tension. This line tension is the only way to do the flip properly. Proper edging makes you pull against the boat, the tension in the line is what gives you speed and ability to flip while in control. If you build enough line tension then your release off the top of the wake will give you the air you need to land it. Make sure to edge all the way through the wake, you dont have to huck if you edge properly.
Old     (hypedrider7)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-20-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
Chris,
Just like Leo said. For loading the line, always think about your back being flat, and your shoulders should be upright and farther away from the boat then your feet and hips. The hands should be locked in close the hips and move as you edge. One tip that seems to work is image you are edging away from the boat as you cut into the wake. Start a progessive edge with a slow rounded turn towards the wake, then continuly edge harder as your approach the wake as if you are cutting away from the direction the boat is going. Stand tall while edging through the wake. Also on landings, remeber to land on edge again on your heels to get the board from sliding out.

Jerrod
Hypedrider7@yahoo.com
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-01-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
Yeah I would just like to update on my backrolls and get some more tips. I went out today and as the boat was coming aroundfor the double up I would carve out, hit the chop, and throiw the back roll and I got it everytim after my second try. But then I went in and tried it behind the wake and it was different. Like first, I flipped really fast .... i mean like really fast. Also I didnt go far at all. I landed about the half wake mark. And last, I was on my toes and I came down and cought my front edge and face planted! Luckily I had loosened my bindings before I tried it cuz I shot right out and it didnt hurt but it probably would have..... does anyone know wut I did wrong.
Thanks,
Chris
Old    bcat            07-01-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
I'M ALSO HAVING A FEW PROBLEMS WITH THE HS BACKROLL. MY HEIGHT AND RELEASE ARE OK, BUT WHEN I LAND 1/2 THE TIME I'M ROLING TO REVERT AND GETTING "WORKED" ANY SUGGESTIONS? I THINK I NEED TO KEEP TO ROPE ON MY FRONT HIP MORE SO I DON'T GET PULLED AROUND? OR MAYBE RIGHT BEFORE LANDING LET GO WITH MY BACK HAND SO I GET PULLED AROUND? HELP!!!!
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       07-01-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
Sometimes when I throw my backroll i landed like im almost sitting down. and I slide out onto my butt. Do you think this is because the way I start from the top of the wake? because everyone says you land how you take off.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-02-2004, 1:36 AM Reply   
A common misconception on most tricks, is that your approach is different from a regular wake to wake jump. Edge away from the boat hard about 15 feet or so. you'll feel yourself moving as fast, if not faster than the boat. Flatten out, letting the board slow down and set your body position. As the boat starts pulling you back into the wake, apply pressure to your HS edge, slowly at first then hardest all the way up and off the wake. This is a "Progressive edge" The same approach is used on your HS Backroll.

Chris, the reason you are rotating too fast is because your throwing the trick before you leave the wake. This is dangerous because you have no height and your head is right above the water. If you wait for the pop, you'll float it and spot your landings way easier because you're moving slower.

Michelle, there can be two reasons why you're rotating to revert. First you're letting go with your back hand. Second you're looking at your feet/water, not the horizon. It's ok to spot your landing but look up and for the horizon. Your body position will correct itself and you'll land on edge and ride away. This is the same for a regular HS W2W.

Alex, Your body position when leaving the wake is how you'll land. So when you are edging towards the wake, you're most likely squatting down and sticking your butt out. Stand tall at the wake and keep the handle close to your hips. Wait for the pop, you'll rotate slower, spot your landing and look for the horizon.

If you case the second wake it's because you didn't edge all the way threw the top of the wake.

Steven

http://www.mission2ride.com/wwwroot/images04/index.html
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-02-2004, 2:15 AM Reply   

quote:

Michelle, there can be two reasons why you're rotating to revert. First you're letting go with your back hand.

uh, letting go of the back hand won't make you go to revert...letting go of the front hand will.
Old    larkin            07-02-2004, 5:02 AM Reply   
dakid is correct on that.

When I was learning backrolls, i would practice a couple of heelside jumps where I focused on good body position as described above, but most importantly, keeping the handle at my hips without moving it left, right, up or down. Then I would do the regular jump and look over my lead shoulder after leaving the wake.

The backroll is all about physics, the turning of the head and keeping the handle stationary makes the rope force the rotation. Once you get this, the backroll is cake.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-02-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
You're right Joe, it was kinda late last night. What were you doing up at 2 am?
Old    afxsguy            07-02-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
okay both hands on the handle... but handle positioning? im confused. ive been told different things. ive been told by an instructor to bring my handle over towards my lead hip and back. ive also been told to move the handle in a circular motion(which i think is wrong). where should my handle be throughout the backroll? down in front of me at my hips? back towards my lead hip? physics would say that landing would be easier if my handle was towards my lead hip (pulling me straight for landing). but ive seen a video where it looks like the guy has the handle in front of him. i dont know. what do you guys do?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-02-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   
hahn, moved in to new place yesterday...was setting up entertainment center. besides the bed, you know the entertainment center's the 1st thing to put together!

by the way, handle should be planted on your lead hip. "circular motion?" wtf???? like i said...planted on your hip.

(Message edited by dakid on July 02, 2004)
Old    larkin            07-02-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
the less the handle moves, the more control you will have. Moving it in a circular motion? Hope that wasn't the instructor telling you that because it makes no sense.
Old    afxsguy            07-02-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
congrats on the new place dakid.... and no lol, some wakeboarder kid on the river is the one who told me to huck the handle in a circular motion. he said thats what gets your rotation. i thought he was full of i tried it anyway. it made everything worse. haha

but yah, lead hip. okay. i wasn't sure if i wanted it to my lead hip or right in front of me.

my instructor told me to look back and away from the boat, iver my lead shoulder... and bring my handle back towards my lead hip.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-02-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
don't over-do the "look back and away"...it sometimes leads to a way-off-axis spin, more than anything. look up and slightly over your lead shoulder, and lead w/ your hip. everything else will fall into place.

watch my vids...you'll see me do backrolls all day long....it's all i can do!

good luck!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-02-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
Don't you work Joe?
Old    afxsguy            07-02-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
thanks a lot. ive been trying em since mid last summer. im in ontario canada so we only get 3 months (4 max) of summer. hopefully i can stick them soon. my goal this summer is to get backrolls consistent, and stomp 360s. depending on how things go, i might try tantrums too. who know though... it may take me all summer to get the backrolls
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-02-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
hahn, you were once in the mortgage business...you know what work is like. it's called a cell phone!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-02-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
I'm still doing loans from the bus.
Old    waker80            07-03-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
What would you guys say to someone who is falling on his back or having the board slip out on landings. Everything feels and looks good but on landing my board is too horizontial and it just slips out. How do i fix this?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-03-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
if you're leaning back when you come off the wake, you'll rotate as if you're doing a really way off-axis, ugly-ass 360.

Stand tall...the way you come off the wake is the way you'll land.