Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-22-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
There's no good reason for it, but there's just something not quite the same about the new Wakeworld. Traffic (in non-wake at least) has to be way down. Boats & Accys is the only other forum I read anymore even before the switch, so can't comment on other areas of the site.

Every once in a while I accidentally pull up the old site with all those dead ads across the top, and I get a little nostalgic.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-22-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
I agree Trace. Traffic does seem to be down some. Maybe that is just perception, but I feel it too. Hopefully it will pick back up once summer gets in full swing.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-22-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
I agree. Traffic does seem to be down some. I am pretty much on here everyday and as of late it doesn't seem as people are posting as much as they did. This time of year it is usually a bit slower anyway opposed to when everyone is able to be on the water. I'm sure it will get a bit busier though.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
I don't think it seems slow, it is slow.... That sort of feeds on itself. When there is not a lot of comments, there isn't a lot to comment on.... I am sure it is just growing pains...

Not to mention that this place is pretty political and negative lately.... It may not be related, but I have to admit, for me....it is almost draining to come on and try to navigate the negativity. I yearn for the boat war days....
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-22-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
I agree this used to be the first forum I check because it had the most activity. Now I breeze through on the way to other forums. I hope it gets back to normal soon.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
I thought the other format was very simple to use(not that this is hard) but i have many hobbies and check many forums. Wakeworld was the one i checked most often because i like the format better. Now i check it like all the others here and there.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
I think it's just that time of the year. Wakeworld visits are actually on par for last year it seems. Starting April, we'll begin trending back up. See here:

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/wakeworld.com/
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-22-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
I thought the exact same thing...I noticed when the format changed, but I think we needed the new format. I seldomely visit the wakeboarding section, but have been more lately because the non wakeboarding section seems dead
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-22-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
I have deffinetly cut down on WW time. If I want to see twitter updates, i'll just go to twitter
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-22-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
There's no good reason for it, but there's just something not quite the same about the new Wakeworld. Traffic (in non-wake at least) has to be way down. Boats & Accys is the only other forum I read anymore even before the switch, so can't comment on other areas of the site.

[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]Every once in a while I accidentally pull up the old site with all those dead ads across the top, and I get a little nostalgic.

Maybe you shouldn't be discussing NON-Wakeboarding issues on WAKEWORLD???

JMO!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
So then, what do suggest we discuss in the non-wakeboarding forum?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-22-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
I would say that the Non-Wake section has gotten so contrived and filled with vitriol that it makes it tough to sift through. The political hate and just general rudeness is pretty ridiculous. Why go somewhere that if you express an opinion, you are guaranteed to get personally attacked? People in Non-Wake forgot how to play nice. Over it!!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-22-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
^^^^^ last year I suggested that we have a separate forum for political talk. This way we can return the non-wake forum back to what it should be... boat bun talk and such..

I agree that it must be the time of the year. I frequent 3 wakeboarding websites on a regular basis and all three have been VERY slow.

However, I have noticed a coincidence over the years... it seems that whenever a website changes up their format, traffic always tends to slow down a bit. It's probably a multitude of reasons such as having to re-register, etc. People are lazy and will just lurk if it takes too much effort to post something.

I remember when "the other" wakeboard site split up the topics into several separate forums. Boats and Accessories changed from one forum into 4 (General boats, accessories, DIY, and share your boat). I can't say why, but traffic on that site has never been the same since. The only forum over there that gets any traffic is the non-wake.

Honestly, I have a tough time coming to the non-wake on this sight because of all the political talk. I come to this site to read and talk about my wakeboarding hobby. Occasionally it's nice to check out the non-wake for some humor, but if I wanted negative political talk I can just turn on Fox and Friends

Last edited by nauty; 03-22-2010 at 3:07 PM.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-22-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
So then, what do suggest we discuss in the non-wakeboarding forum?
Heres an idea...

If you want to discuss something other than wakeboarding, maybe you should google that topic and find a forum that best fits your topic!

Just a thought, U ASKED!
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-22-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
I can't really complain about any of the non-wakeboarding topics. They're supposed to be off topic. It's not like there are hundreds each day to sift through, so if you see a subject on something you're not interested in talking about like anything political, just don't click on it.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-22-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
Since the forum change, my visits have been fewer. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it was I was busy with studying and passing a test for work. Perhaps it's Spring break. Or, perhaps health care is front and center and everyone is just waiting to see what happens.

I love the new site! I got a PM from some 22 year old hottie who wants to hook up with this 46 yo! WOW!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
Sam,
There's a utility in having a non-wakeboarding section. Not to mention some of us have made friends here over there years. I sold my boat in 2005 and haven't ridden since, but some of us still have a connection to the people.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-22-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Sam,

I am going to have to 100% disagree with you on finding another forum for non-wake. I do agree that there is a steep decline in the non-wake section. I have been a part of this site since back when I began to ride 6 or so years ago. I am in a similar situation as Barry. I still have a boat and ride but I very rarely go to the wakeboarding section of this forum. I use the non-wake section to learn about new recipes (Thanks Gramps for the tri-tip), advice on buying a new car (Evan is the man when it comes to BMW), keep in touch on the p90x program I can't seem to finish (Keep it up Cliff), and anything under the sun I have questions on. The non-wake section is a community of people that I have gotten to know over the years and are people whom I trust when it comes to questions of the world.

The political threads have gotten pretty ridiculous but it really has been the format that has kept me off the forums. I like the old school simplicity of the old forum. I think I speak for many people that frequent the non-wake section when I say I don't have enough time to really dig in and figure out how this site really works. I guess I should quit complaining and buckle down and do it.

This is only my 3rd or 4th post on the new forum, I am usually doing 3-4 a day. I still lurk around the new forum, but due to me being a discussion board tard, I am having trouble posting. I did just find the "quick reply" button. Maybe that will be the magic button to keep me active on this board.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-22-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
A drop is typical after a big switch like this - lots of people adjusting to the new format, minor glitches, etc.

Also, it coincided with the weather getting nicer all over the country!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-22-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
I see a lot of the people I miss chatting with right here in this thread. It is up to us. Time to get over the new format stagefright and post up some CONTENT! This forum used to be rife with it.

As a side note, I totally agree on creating a politics forum. It would improve this one.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-22-2010, 11:20 PM Reply   
I think this new format is prettier but much less efficient. It was easier to read the list of post and click on what sounded interesting, as well as scan the replies.

I liked the old format better and I've noticed the number of posts I read is lower. I personally would like to go back to the old format, but maybe this will grow on me.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-23-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
I for one, LIKE the new web-site. In fact, I've "discovered" the non-wakeboarding discussion and have enjoyed learning more about WW members and their takes on issues. It's like the TV, when you get tired of certain shows or channels, just change the channel or turn it off.

Good job on the new site David Williams!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
I don't think anyone has said they don't like the new format. It is a major improvement in many ways.

I think one of the old format's advantages was that it looked boring, which made it less attractive to trolls and kids.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-23-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
I fully expected the traffic from registered users to go down initially for a few reasons.

First, registered users from the old system can't log in immediately and easily. They have to request a new password before their account is activated. Yes, it seems easy, but many are very busy and until they have something really important to say, they will put it off.

Second, people absolutely freak out over change. Some of the emails I have gotten have been absolutely hilarious because people get hysterical even if the change solves a problem. I could take 100 people and switch out their Yugo for a Bentley and I guarantee you that 60% of them would complain about something they don't like about the Bentley. It's just the way it is. When you're comfortable, you don't like that comfort to be messed with. I understand that, but I'm confident that eventually the changes we've made will make a larger number of people even more comfortable with their WakeWorld community.

Lastly, are the little frustrations that come with a new website. We had a few kinks in the system that made for a frustrating first few weeks from some folks and that can definitely put a bad taste in the mouth and cause them to back away. However, we're confident they'll be back and will continue to make the community even stronger. That's one of the reasons that we launched in the off-season, so that we'd frustrate fewer people with any problems.

Bottom line is that we did it for the long-term health of the community, so I hope you'll all get behind it and encourage your friends to visit so that we can make it even better than the old WakeWorld.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-23-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
I don't understand why there are complaints about political threads in the non-wake section and suggesting they be moved to a new location. Most of the time, you know it's a political thread before even clicking on the link. The other half, you read the original post, and you know it's a political thread. So what is the problem? If you really don't want to read it, why would you? Why not just move on to the next thread?

In regards to the banter in the political threads, any time you start talking politics or religion (so they say), you are going to get heated debates. If you feel passionate about something and you are talking to someone else who is equally passionate, but coming from a completely different point-of-view, it can get a little heated. That being said, there is no need for personal attacks.

Personally, I think the demeanor of the political threads is more respectful than what it was even 2 years ago. When a certain female anatomy was in office, there were a lot of insults being thrown around, from both sides. When the country was going to invade Iraq, name-calling was commonplace. I am not indicating we have arrived at some sort of utopia of mutual respect and understanding, just pointing out that I think it has improved.

We are never going to reach a point when the following conversation is going to take place :

Liberal leaning political thread poster:
Well my intellectual equal I see your point, and it is well researched and while I disagree with your point-of-view, you are one enlightened individual.

Conservative leaning political thread poster:
Thank you kind sir. I too stand in awe of your potlical knowledge, perhaps we could break bread together and discuss the merits of our checks and balances.

Crazy INFOR Wars Poster:
Good afternoon fine gentleman. I must remark you are both astute scholars who I would like to gently persuade to check out the latest youtube video where I bestow the virtues of this fine country and our outstanding savy working with other countries.

////link to youtube////////////////
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-23-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Second, people absolutely freak out over change. Some of the emails I have gotten have been absolutely hilarious because people get hysterical even if the change solves a problem..........When you're comfortable, you don't like that comfort to be messed with.
Having worked in some facet of IT for over 15 years, you hit the nail on the head David.

I have created new software applications for Nurses. I have improved there workflow and made there lives way eaiser, but they will still be unwilling to learn the new process. Why? Because they don't have time, it's too hard, they don't like it, I just don't understand they don't have time to click on a button because they have to fillout their paperwork, etc.

All the same types of things I have heard people on this site saing. In the end, once they learn the application, they love me and are thanking me endlessly for how much easier there work documentation has become.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
I noticed too.
But in all respect to the work involved on a new forum;
1. Slow to load.
2. Something with Javascript will not allow sign in on my Bberry. Mobile adaptation is a mess to navigate for some reason.
3. Have to sign in every time I visit the site. Maybe I'm missing the keep me logged in box.
4. New ads cramp the layout.

I'm sure everyone will gradually accept change however; this is simply not as conversation friendly as the old site. WW will always be my go-to for info though!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-23-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
You shouldn't have to login every time you visit the site. We did hav ea problem in this area that was fixed, so I encourage you to explicitly log out by clicking the Log Out button on the front page, restart your browser and try again. Let me know if it is still a problem.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
WHEN CAN I GET THE WAKEWORLD APP FOR MY iPHONE?

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-23-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammm724centurion View Post
WHEN CAN I GET THE WAKEWORLD APP FOR MY iPHONE?

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!
When you stop making obnoxious posts like the one above...
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-23-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
I agree with having to login everytime I get on.

In fact I just had to do it again before I posted this.

This maybe a sercurity feature on my computer that is preventing me from being constantly logged in, but I never had to log in the old website . Once I looged in I was able to quick reply for months / years with out ever having to re enter my username and password.

Other than that I love the new website. Looks Great, fresh new look and easy to navigate.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckinshat View Post
When you stop making obnoxious posts like the one above...
Oh, so does that mean never?
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
Agreed, Mark. The last thing we need is to give people like this more access to WW.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-23-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
E, did you try the explicit logout that I described above? Did that help?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-24-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
I love the new format and layout and can't wait for things to really get going in things like the DIY section. My only issue is it seems like posts and threads are deleted more than ever before. That's the only things I have noticed.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-24-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
David,
That worked.
Thanks
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-25-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
I was going to post that I like the new site, but I can't get my rotary phone to work, my manual typewriter is missing too many keys, I am out of carbon paper, and my horse is too tired to ride into town.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-25-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
I guess some people will just always resist change!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-25-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4gill2 View Post
I guess some people will just always resist change!
That statement could very easily turn this into a political thread...lol
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-25-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
David hit the nail on the head. I have been doing web development for over 9 years and the reasons are exactly what I have experienced as well. People just don't like change. Instead of people taking a few minutes to learn and understand "insert whatever software app here" they would rather just say "it sucks" or "its too hard".

VBulletin (the forum software used here) is light years better than what WakeWorld had before. Im glad this is the format.

Quote:
I was going to post that I like the new site, but I can't get my rotary phone to work, my manual typewriter is missing too many keys, I am out of carbon paper, and my horse is too tired to ride into town.
LOL.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-25-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
I agree, This format is much easier to read than the old software. It has its quirks, but its jsut a matter of figureing out all of the new shortcuts. By time David is ready to upgrade again. The people complaining now will be complaining about changing AWAY from this software.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
I really like the new format, but the bottom line is that it is a lot more cumbersome to check up on the forums on a regular basis, so I've been checking about once a week rather than a few times a day.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
Can you be more specific as to what makes it more cumbersome?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-26-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
I know my forum usage varies by the seasons. Fall and Winter I am on snowboarding forums. Spring and summer motorcycle and wakeboarding forums. I think things will pick up soon. The one thing that really bugs me about the new site is I have to click quick reply to be able to make a quick reply. I want to be able to just type in the box and post it.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-26-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Bruizza, I just disabled the requirement of clicking on Quick Reply. Now you can just type in the box. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Yay, nice fix Dave. Thanks!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-26-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Thank you so much Dave!!!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-26-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Much better! Thanks Dave.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
Is there a way to shut off the color and the different size font? Maybe it looks more plain, but when I see fonts the same size and color, it just looks more appealing. But when people abuse it (like MightySam's posts) it such a turn off that I don't bother to read it. It is really obnoxious and brings the forum to a level that I just don't want to participate in.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
What A.P. said times 2.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-28-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
I don't really see abuse as being a problem that's greater than the benefit of being able to properly format your post. I think most people recognize that kind of posting as annoying, so that person will either learn from it or their posts won't get read.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
Not much has really slowed me down but I have found the new site to be much slower than the previous. I often feel like I'm on 56k lately.

Anyone else realizing the same thing?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-29-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Yes, it is slower to me too.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-29-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Agreed on the slower.
Old    deltahoosier            03-29-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Speed is fine. I do pay for a 30 down and 7 up connection though.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       03-29-2010, 10:53 PM Reply   
I've had to put two hamsters in my internet wheel to get new website pages to load.