Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
I'm hoping someone else has gone through this scenario or knows something that can help me.

I bought the most incredible X2. Absolutely gorgeous boat!!!!!

I go to hook it up at the dealers and low and behold I've got the wrong trailer cable connection for the lights and brakes.

Here goes.... I've got a land rover discovery. The trailer connection is a 7-pin but its round
In order to tow my old boat Land rover sells an adapter that turns it into a 4-pin.

My new boat has this weird looking 7pin but its flat( kind of like a n RV hook up.)

I phoned 3 land rover dealers there is no such thing as 7pin flat from land rover. How do sell a 4X4 that can't tow 90% of trailers with brakes!!!!!!!! Well that's my fault...although i can honestly say I didn't plan on buying such a large boat 2 years ago.

WHAT DO I DO NOW????? (I'm not selling my truck...for the smarta@%&$%)
The service guy at the dealer did a Mcguyver with some gum, spit, a 4 pin to 7flat adapter from NAPA autoparts, and small steel rod stuffed in the hitch to prevent the brakes from coming on when I back up.

So now I have a 7-pin round--too--4pin adapter---too---4pinadapter---too---7flat----too---the 7flat trailer
I take the steel rod out when driving but when I step on brakes to slow down the brakes on the trailer vibrate pretty rough. (can't be good)

I know nothing about trailer brakes.

Of course there's nothing in the mastercraft owners manual. I guess they figure we all live on the water with private slips.

I called one shop that said I need to add something on the dash with a switch, one shop said it can't be done, one said it would ruin my truck....

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks guys!
}
Old    bigrich            12-14-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
I cant help with your wiring problem other than finding the needed wires (brake,turn,tail) and splicing appropriately (sp) from your truck to trailer. Shouldn't be a big deal if you know what you are doing. As far as the vibration from the brakes you likely have warped rotors (or drums) which ever your trailer is equipped with. The most common cause would be the trailer sitting around for a long time with wet brakes or in a puddle. Contact your dealer about the vibration. Sometimes just applying the brakes hard several times may clean any rust off and you could be O.K. otherwise the rotors (or drums) will likely need replacement. Usually replacement is the more common repair.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-14-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
post a pic of both truck and trailer connectors for me. i might have an idea.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-14-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
Bummer... I have a Land Rover and an 07 Mastercraft. Everything works great. I have the round 7 pin on the trailer and the truck though. The brake lights and connections should have nothing to do with the vibration on the new trailers. Tell them to give the trailer a check up. SHould be simple to fix.

In the meantime, post pics here, call a car/electrical specialty shop as all those wires can be spliced, or go back to the MC dealer. Mine has helped with just about any issue I have.

Take care and congrats on the new boat.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
instead of trying to find adapters or changing the truck wiring, couldn't you just find the right size Male end for the trailer lights? Does that make sense?
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-14-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
Sounds like you just need the right adaptor, try this site, I have got stuff from them before. they got a good selection of connectors.
www.ase-supply.com
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
I'll take pics of truck connector and the 4 way adapter. The boats down in florida so can't take pics until next week.

If I con't to use the 4plug to 7 pin adapter are the trailer brakes working???? Or do you have to go 7 pin to 7 pin???

Ben, DO you have discovery of range? I have 07 mastercraft also...does this mean dealer can order the round 7 pin instead of the flat 7pin RV connection????

Thanks guys!!!!!!! I know this is a pain
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-14-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
Vince
I found this it might help some
http://www.ase-supply.com/Articles.asp?ID=122
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
Ken,

You are on to something there bud!!!!

The 1st diagram with the 4plug is the EXACT set up for my old boat. I use the 7 too 4 plug adapter from land rover and everything works perfect

My problem now is the new boat has the 7pin RV plug on the bottom diagram. Since that diagram has a label for brakes I guess that answers my question (I got no brakes right now).

I'll get those pics on here tomorrow.

Thanks guys!!!
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-17-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
Sorry for the delay(camera trouble)

Here are the pics I hope someone can help
Thanks in advance!

popjpeg{397190,Upload}
popjpeg{397191,Upload}
popjpeg{397192,Upload}
popjpeg{397193,Upload}
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-17-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
hmmmm....here's another try
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-17-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
3 more...Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       12-17-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Check out these guys.http://britishpacific.com/LandRoverAccessories/LandRoverTrailer.html Probably these easiest thing to do is to convert your existing 7 pin to then LR3 Trailer Harness Kit. The brakes on your trailer are most likley surge brakes and do not need a electrical connection to work.

(Message edited by Nubb on December 17, 2006)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-17-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
About the vibrations... Our MC trailer had vibrating issues from day one. Whenever you hit the brakes, we would get this shaking which was especially bad when the trailer was empty. Our dealer either replaced or balanced the rotors which had imperfections and everything has been fine since.
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-17-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
Nubb!!!!
Big Nubb!!!
You the man!!!!

Can you imagine I called 3 land rover dealers...The worst was hennesy land rover here in atlanta what a bunch of a.....
They basically said it's not their problem

The best was Reed Land Rover in Tampa(where I bought my discovery) They said no problem bring it in we'll figure it out. Trouble is service is open only Mon-Fri.
I go down to tampa several times a month but usually only weekends.
I called the national land rover 800 number to complain about the atlanta dealer they are supposed to get back to me within 3 business days.

I've owned landrover for years but this is the 1st real problem i have run into. When they weren't so popular I ordered parts from atlantic british however they had nothing on their website for trailer parts.

I really appreciate the help.
Nubb I think you're right going with the LR3 hook up would be perfect. I can use that hook up for both boats.

Again, you da man!!!
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       12-17-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
No Problem. I hope that will work for you. You'd think Land Rover would help you out with that, but customer service in the Auto Industry seems to be lacking in general these days.