Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-12-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
ok, I haven't been taking care of my teak as well I should, I have been oiling it about twice a week, but it is so bad now theres no use. Will the cleaner, and the britener do the trick or is there something else to use?
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
Ryan,

My deck was looking pretty bad to, I thought just oiling it would take care of it but it doesnt. There was a lot of oxidation on my deck so I sanded it with a power sander and it actually brought out the natural teak look, then I put the brightner on it, after that dryed I oiled it. Hope this helps.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-12-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
First thing would be to use the teak cleaner. Pretty simple and easy, apply it, wash it off, re-oil.

That will wash away the accumulation of old oil and the dirt that has been imbedded in with the oil. It will probably make the teak look great again.

If the teak is scratched or has become rough and porous then you can simply sand the teak down a little bit. About 20 minutes with an orbital sander or one minute with a belt sander should take care of it.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I just did my deck

I sanded by hand with 80 grit, then 180 grit. Then Teak Brightener/Restorer. Then 4 coats of oil. Looks brand new -- and only takes a couple of hours.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-12-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
craig, i did all of that this year and every week i still need to oil my deck, looks faded and it just seems to drink the oil. we don't run in brackish water ect.. wondering why my deck seems to require so much oil?. after 1 day on the water it looks faded again, i kept thinking it would finally be saturated with oil and be fine but no. any ideas anyone?
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-12-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
I'm with Brian, it seems I have this problem every year. I tried the hand sanding thing (which i won't do again). If I sand anyting it will be power next time. I guess maybe I'm gonna try oiling it everytime you get out of the water after an all day lake outing.

I just ordered the cleaner and the brightner from overtons. We'll see how it works
Old     (kristin_ware)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-12-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
My deck was bad! I used one of those three step deals a cleaner,brightner,oil. I did not think it would work. I was wrong it turned out great. I did use the entire bottle of oil on it though. I bought it at Academy the best $25 I ever spent
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
I don't have the answer, but I have a thought.

After I did mine, my friend with his Vintage Correct Craft said he was going to come over and restore his Teak and asked if I'd point him in the right direction. I told him to buy Sand Paper and Teak Oil.

He showed up with Miguire's Teak Oil. As I was helping him, I noticed that his Oil is really just an oil. I haven’t seen his since.

The Oil I used is a real sticky oil. It still flows like oil, but was very tacky for 2 days. Mine still looks great 3 weeks later.

I'm wondering if there is a difference between brands in terms of longevity?

I can get you the name of the oil I used if that helps.

What happend to Grant (soundillusions)? He seems to be MIA in this Mid-Summer time. I bet he's forgot more about this subject that I'll ever know.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-12-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
let me know what kind you use. I think i am going to put on the kind you get from overtons as that what is coming in this kit I bought. I agree with you on the different kinds. I've noticed that some are really light and some are alot darker. I've never used the kind I bought today so we'll try it out.