Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-20-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
My question is: why is there such a big deal about closed toe boots?

I am fine without them, and don't really see why everyone is begging for them to come into the open market. So far the only reasons I've read are that people don't want their toes to get cold in winter..boohoo. Not that I hate closed toe boots, I won't go and buy some as soon as they come out, and I don't even think my next pair will be closed toe, unless they have so infiltrated the market that all of the boots are. I personally am much more excited for CWB's hinged back, or HL's 3/4 roam boot than any closed toe boot I've seen/heard/read about.

What is everyone else's opinion on this topic?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-20-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
HL's 3/4 Roam Boot???????????????/?? Please inlighten me!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-20-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
I think closed toe boots are going to suck... Thats all i want is to have a hard landing and have my toes get smashed in the close toe part... Keep em the same!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-20-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
I agree! I am not into them. I was at The House Board shop in MN, Eric Ruck came in and we asked him if his boot was gunna be closed toe, he said, "No." When I asked Why? He Said, "cause it's wakeboarding dude."
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-20-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
lol, ruck is great for one liners like that.....as often as i move my feet forward on a backseat landing there is no way im buying close toe boots.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-20-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
Agreed...
Keep it wakeboarding. We're already labeled as gay by skate and snow. Wait till they see those.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-20-2005, 4:50 PM Reply   
in all honesty, i could care less what other board sports are saying. as long as the equipment does what it's supposed to do, i'm fine w/ it.
Old    natxbrotha            08-20-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
i really think the best thing about a closed toe'd binding will be the winter riding.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-20-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
Paul- The new roam boot is a three quarter height boot that looks pretty sweet, it's supposed to have good flexibility and allow for more mobility and i think it looks mighty slick, a good picture of it is on page two of the september edition of Alliance Wakeboard
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-20-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
could someone post a pic of the roam boot, i don't get alliance
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-20-2005, 9:56 PM Reply   
does anyone have a scanner and the new alliance, i have the mag but don't have a scanner and can't find any pics of them on the web, does anyone else who has seen them think they're pretty sick looking?
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-20-2005, 10:35 PM Reply   
PLEASE SOMEONE SCAN IT.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-20-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
yeah!
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2005, 10:40 PM Reply   
its not that exciting of a boot. its just a typical midrange wake boot.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-20-2005, 11:38 PM Reply   
well i don't have a scanner but i snapped a pic with my camera phone

2006 hyperlite roam boot/board

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-21-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
Thanks looks pretty wild- the board has a totally different look than the 05. Thanks for the pics
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-21-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
I don't see how a closed toe boot is going to be good in the winter. It's not like your feet don't get wet in them. how will this help in cold situations? I really want to hear someones reasoning.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
closed toe boot?
i wonder what would happen with these bindings with those nasty frontroll crashes when half of your foot sticks out in front of a binding.

blue toes???lol
Old    natxbrotha            08-21-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
ah yes, because if its closed toed, the heat (if any) from your lower leg and feet will keep the water a tad bit warmer. plus the wind will not get your toes. does that make sense? same thing as your hands... wind freezes them, but if you wear some dishwashing gloves under ski gloves you are ok.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
wind chill dude........ wind chill. But im in Fl so eff it.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-21-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
okay, now i have a user name to get on here. sorry dave, i can never remember my user name and password...could you email mine?
This is Shaun Murray coming to you from Ronnie Romero's in Nebraska where Im doing a clinic and some filming for the next couple days. As I can see, some of you have your undies in a bundle about closed toed binders. paul from hyperlite asked me if I wanted to do some for 06, so i said send em and ill give em a try. Sure we have all had our toes shoved out the front of our boots, but since ive tested these, i haven't had any trouble with that so far. my only comparison would be snowboard boots and i have stuffed my toes into the ends, but never in pain. I realize the boots will be wet, causing more lubrication to slide your foot forward, but i don't think its going to be a problem. i am just like everyone else here...when choosing what im going to ride i have to think about what i want to use and how its going to work, not to mention that i want a product that is going to sell. if something is going to hurt people, it won't sell and i wouldn't want it to sell. im not trying to get gimmicky, just trying something new, so relax. if you don't want to try them, then stick to the old. i have a skurfer for sale if anybody wants one. just playing. i know you guys on here are gonna over analyze this, but whatever.
regarding the binding being wet and not staying warm...wetsuits work the same way. your body heats up the thin layer of water against your body, and when i rode them, my feet were all warm and fuzzy. thanks for listening Shaun
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-21-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
Thanks, Shaun. I didn't know you posted here!
Old     (riverrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-21-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
I'm ok with anything that will extend my season. In Utah by the middle of October the water temp is usually in the mid 50's. I'll try anything if I can keep riding until the lake is frozen.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-21-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
How will the heat of your leg keep the water warmer? These things drain all the water out of them(I'm guessing) and therefore what water is there to heat? I guess I can understand keeping the wind off your toes but that is a little weak as I can't remember my toes being cold and not my feet since they are both wet. anyways... Shaun I'm sure they are good boots and we all appreciate your response. I'm not one th bash until tried & I would assume that you wouldn't make em if your toes are getting crunched.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-21-2005, 9:14 PM Reply   
anyone else think it's pretty darn sweet Shaun Murray posted on my thread?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-21-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
Shaun is a kook. And, that guy from Nebraska is really a kook. Shaun is just on here trying to sell product so he can fix the brakes on his truck. He doesn't have any idea what's really going on in today's market. If I break my toe in those things, I'm gonna stick my broken toe in his...other bindings!
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-21-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
haha, well i already posted i wouldn't buy closed toe bindings unless i absolutely had to, i just got a fish and some parks, next year i'll probably hook myself up with the 06 roam board and boots, i'm really stoked for them..
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       08-21-2005, 11:16 PM Reply   
lol this is great, i'm laughing my ass off over here at travis's comment!
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-22-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
that travis guy is a waste of space and can forget ever having me show up to work...ever! the last good thing he did was his trick ski toe pass back in 86', and it wasn't event that good. im friends with the best of the trick skiers and yes, its super hard, i would even say harder than wakeboarding in some aspects. but come on travis, you guys ran out of tricks to do, looked at eachother and said "what can i do next?" "put your foot in the rope man!" great idea!
i know its way off the subject, but so is every other post on all the subjects.
oh yeah, the water does stay in the material in the binding, its like a neoprene sock, just like a little cozy foot wetsuit...so yes, the water does drain out but the neoprene doesn't dry up, hence...all warm and cozy.
p.s. travis is gay. later shaun murray
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
Nice..... You guys are super grown up. I should be working, but you are entertaining me too much. I'm sure Travis will be happy to pay you back with some quality boat driving the next time you see him.

Anyway, go ride and film or something. We need some new footage to waste away the winter with while were sitting around with warm toes in our new closed toe bindings.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-22-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
Come on...it was 88' and it was sick. You know I stuck it. And there are still people in remote parts of Georgia that talk about it. Of course they don't have cable or teeth, but they talk about it. I am trying to figure out how to do it on a wakeboard next. I am working with Ferraro on it. Its gonna be tight. We are gonna take this thing to the next level. We are gonna get our own tour and everything. I think we are gonna call it "Hot Summer Nights...the remix!" We already picked up Jimmy Z and Vaurnet as sponsors. Jealous?
I like the closed toe boots. Its just like the one I had on my trick ski!

Old    blind5            08-23-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
and the toe piece is elastic-like. so you don't have to worry about breaking a toe or something
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-23-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
I think Shaun's post should answer everyone questions I dont think anyone one this page knows more than the man himself Shaun Murray. Thanks Shaun
Old    penny4urthots            08-23-2005, 11:51 PM Reply   
At this point I don't buy it folks... First of all look at who is coming out with the whole scheme in the first place. I think the "NEW WAVE" closed boot ideology is just another way for the Korpo Kooks in Washington to set themselves apart from the industry norm. Legit or not, "you know who" will be $toked have (what will become)a whored out marketing tool that will be put to good use during the 06 BOATSHOW SALES SEASON. And that is the bottom line...
Old     (tennyson0)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-26-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Wow, shame on Hyperlite for trying to make a product that they can sell and make $ on! Damn them! That's it for me, I will only ride "homemade" equipment from now on!

Come on guys, it's not like Hyperlite hasn't been innovative before. You might try to demo a pair before you crap on them.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-26-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   

quote:

Come on guys, it's not like Hyperlite hasn't been innovative before.

like the old premier/new era?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-26-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
I'm really not sure how innovative the concept is since Sub Rosa had a closed toe (snowboard type) binding about 10 years ago when they were working in conjunction with Fulltilt. From what I remember, it didn't become popular with the general public and didn't sell well. I never even saw a pair used in person.
Granted, I haven't seen Hyperlite's design so I can't comment on the effectiveness of their boot but it's good to know companies are continuing to push their products forward. Who knows, it may end up working really well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Why is it that every year people sit here and shout "GIMMICK" at product they haven't even seen.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-26-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
Whether Hyperlite has been innovative with boards is a matter of opinion, I guess. However, Hyperlite has definitely innovated boots before. How about a rear lace-up boot? Hyperlite first (3060). How about a boot with no "through-plate" mounting? Hyperlite first (claw). How about laces on the front and back? Hyperlite first (Parks).
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-26-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
How about the most comfortable boot on the market, no pinch points, easy in/out. LF Transit.
Wow, Shaun Murray. That guy is almost as old as me!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-31-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
Not sure if anyone else checked out Shanes boots in the new Alliance...... Not to hate, but those have to be the stupidest looking clown boots I've ever seen. No thanks. It'll be interesting to see if they catch on.

Thanks to CWB for keeping it real. I'll save my snowboard boots for snowboarding.

sidenote: the new liners they are putting in the bindings are dope.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
you mean the same liners lf has been putting in their bindings?

cwb is really stepping it up with their binding line. thank gawd! now, if only we can convince them to use lycra on both toe and heel pieces on the '06 zeus.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-31-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
i just talk to the LF rep today and he said you can put on the new shane and watson boots without hands....plus the laces are magnetic and stick to a plate on the side of the binding...so no more laces flopping around.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-01-2005, 6:58 AM Reply   
Well then, Joe, I guess CWB, LF, Gator, and everyone else should stop making neutral bouyancy, compression-molded wakeboards, since Hyperlite did that first!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-01-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
Sorry, didn't clarify.... Joe, I was talking about the new LF binding liners. They look like snowboard boots the way they wrap around your foot.
Old    lunaraven            09-01-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
My first board was a full tilt with sub rosa's and a big red fin.
If the closed toe extends the season in the cold climates without breakin the toe im into it.