Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-06-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
I'm going to be installing a 140 amp alternator in my boat in the next week (upgrade from stock 60amp alt), but I just wanted to check on something that isn't that clear to me.

When I install the new alternator, do I need to connect the alternator to the starter? Or can I just run the charge wire off of the alternator directly into the postive post on the battery?

But why does the alternator run through the starter in the first place on the stock setup?

So I have two options, which one is correct:
A.) Alternator - Starter - 60amp breaker - Pos. battery post
B.) Alternator - new 150amp breaker - Pos. Battery Post

Hopefully someone can help me out with a real short answer (don't need to explain too much).

(Message edited by sinkoumn on May 06, 2007)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-06-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
B

They run it to save wire (It wouldn't let me just post 'b')

(Message edited by rallyart on May 06, 2007)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2007, 10:54 PM Reply   
I agree with Art. I just installed a 100amp and ran a piggyback line to the starter, mostly for insurance purposes since the stock wires werent designed for that kind of charging.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-07-2007, 5:25 AM Reply   
Sinko- where did you get your alt and how much?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Either is fine. You probably have 2/0 from the factory so wire size is also fine. Upgrade the alt to starter wire on the tie in route to at least 2AWG assuming same length. Alt to battery does not require a breaker if you go direct connect.

(Message edited by Olskooltige on May 07, 2007)
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
Awesome, thanks much for the input!

Badzuki, I got the alternator from dbelectrical.com
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-07-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
you wont be able to get a 2 ga wire to fit to the post of the alt. A 8 ga wire will be fine.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
orly?
2gauge - purple - TIF2AWG wire from Esoteric audio. Fits just fine. I would not run smaller than 2AWG for the charge line on a 120A+ alt. 6AWG should be a minimum for that load.
Upload
Upload

Sinko-
good choice on db. Those are great guys and Ron will work out everything to be sure you are happy.