Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-30-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
Brief history ski challenger motor, with points ignition mallory unit. I decided to convert to pertronix ignition as well as swapping out the intake manifold for a edelbrock performer. I get everything started and I notice my thermostat is leaking badly straight into my valve cover with some new amazing gasket that did not work. . I then spot a leak on the opposite side valve cover and its milky oil (sigh) So I assume its the intake is leaking internal, fast forward 2 hours, replaced all gaskets drained oil replace etc. So I fire it up again left valve cover off and its still a little milky, there is not one leak of water anyware. Im going to drain it again on thursday and hope that it is just left over from the previous episode, what are your opinions? Thanks
Nate

Also does anyone know any forums on older ski boats?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-30-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
Run a leak-down test. Could be a head gasket. You don't want to run it with water in the oil, it'll ruin the bottom end pretty quick.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-30-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
Well before I did the tear down, it was running fine I changed the oil before I did the intake and it was perfect. I don't think its a head gasket but thanks
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-30-2006, 11:16 PM Reply   
You're probably right about the head gasket. It wouldnt just randomly start leaking unless you overheated it. I'd guess you dont have a good seal where one of the water passages on the manifold meets up with the block. This water can get into the oil through the hole that the distributor shaft goes through to meed up with the cam gear.

DKJ
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-01-2006, 6:16 AM Reply   
This site has some good forums on engine topics, but not limited to ski boats:

http://www.boatered.com/forum/
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-01-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
If you have to take off the intake again use a straightedge on the mounting surface.. seen a few that were not straight. Also are you using the thicker gaskets?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
on the mounting surface I used a wire wheel to get all of the old gasket off. I then applied RTV black around all the ports and laid down the gasket. Im just hoping its left over oil? I hope this intake is not cracked, sense it is used.