Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-10-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
Hey everyone !!!
I just wanted to put a simple question out to those of you who really know boards. I recently broke my old 1998 Mutiny Shmaltz Pro 138 board. It was a continuous rocker 2.1" rocker.
I bought a 2003 Double Up Nelson Pro 138. 3 stage 2.5" rocker.
Both boards have relativly the same surface area(Length and width)
Now to my question.
With my old board i used to ride with a 70' rope and have no problem clearing the wake and doing all the tricks I can do. The speed when I cut seemed to always be there and the pop was great and I didnt have to work that hard to do it. Now that i have swithced to the new board i have to really work hard to get the speed to clear the wake with the 70' rope. I took a link out and am now going at 65' with no problems, but it still feels like I am working harder(cutting) to get the pop and distance.
I assume the 3 stage and maybe the bigger rocker are to blame!!!!
Am I in the Ballpark with my assumptions?

I do like my new board and am still getting used to it but there is a glaring difference between them.

Thanks
Erik
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
The difference shouldn't be that noticeable. I would think the 3 stage would make up for the lost speed with extra pop. Are you certain it's not your technique?
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-10-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
I have cut into the wake the same way for 6 years. So no I dont think I am changing anything technique wise. And the pop isnt all that more noticable either. Unfortunatly I havn't ridden too many boards so I dont know the ins and outs of what feels different between boards.
I might be taking a lesson next week from David Williams so maybe he can critique my style and see whats going on.

Thanks for the input.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2004, 2:13 AM Reply   
i think i have fairly good edging technique and i found the same thing when demo'ing an absolute (3-stage) vs. my regular belmont ride. felt like a lot more work to get the speed i was used to. see sean's thread about 3-stage vs. continuous for more development on this discussion:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/189973.html?1094890992
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
Lessons from Dave Williams? jk Dave, you rip!

Erik - you don't want to buy my Substance anymore? I'll let you take it out and ride it if you want. I'm almost certain that none of the shops in the area have it in Demo. I never had an issue with the speed of the board. let me know.