Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-18-2014, 4:44 PM Reply   
So I just installed a new JL 600/4 to run my pro 485 and pro 60's. I am only getting sound to the left pro 60, the left midbass of the pro 485, and the horn of the pro 485. The right midbass and pro 60 are mute? Here is how I have everything wired up. HELP!!!
Attached Images

Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-18-2014, 4:46 PM Reply   
I have switched the rca's around and tried every configuration I can think of. Both pro 60's were working previous to the amp install. It is weird that the right side would not be working because they are on different channels of the amp?
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-18-2014, 4:48 PM Reply   
I also have both front and rear on HP.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-19-2014, 9:27 AM Reply   
bump
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-19-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
If you rotate the rca's around and the sound only stays on the left side, then there's something wrong with the amp or your settings. However, it really sounds like you have a bad rca input. I take it there's no chance you have the balance all to one side on the head unit?
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-19-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
I checked the balance on the HU. Its in the middle. When I switch everything around, it still only comes out of the left.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-19-2014, 12:29 PM Reply   
If all else fails, start flipping switches and twisting knobs until more speakers come on. If that doesn't work, pull the amp and have it tested to make sure it is not messed up.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-19-2014, 2:05 PM Reply   
Thanks Chatt.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-19-2014, 2:33 PM Reply   
Sounds like I'm joking, but I'm not. I'm no audiophile. I do understand stereo frustration though. If it were me, I'd run a new rca wire directly from the head unit to the amp to eliminate a bad rca being the culprit. If that doesn't work, I'd switch around the speaker wires to make sure all of the speakers work. If that doesn't work, I'd flip every switch and rotate every knob one by one on the amp until I was satisfied I had tried everything. Also, try different sources to make sure something's not messed up with an audio in cable if you are running an iphone or something as your source.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-19-2014, 2:54 PM Reply   
I have flipped switches, traded speakers from front channel to rear channel, fiddled with the HU, I feel like I have tried everything. But its always the same result. Nothing on the right side. It is so weird because the right side of the tower is not on the same channel. I am going to try to switch up some more wires today and see how it goes. I am thinking I could have possibly put a negative on a positive which is why it would never work?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-19-2014, 3:08 PM Reply   
if you switched right and left channel with the connections, it sounds like a bad connection somewhere in the wire leading to your right side. check your connections to your speakers. if you switched channels and the left side still had power, regardless of what channel it was on, your amp sounds fine
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-19-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
Ok I checked all my connections again and found part of the problem. My right pro 60 connection was loose. This solved that problem. Now I have all of the drivers working except the right side of the pro 485. How can I test it? I bought it used on WW from Bruizza. I am going to send him a message.

Thanks for the help
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-20-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanst15 View Post
Ok I checked all my connections again and found part of the problem. My right pro 60 connection was loose. This solved that problem. Now I have all of the drivers working except the right side of the pro 485. How can I test it? I bought it used on WW from Bruizza. I am going to send him a message.

Thanks for the help
The internal horn and both midbass drivers of the Pro485 are paralleled internally. So if the horn and one midbass driver is working then the problem is not external to the Pro485 terminals.
Both Pro485 woofers share the same passive crossover components. So the problem is AFTER the last passive lowpass element on the crossover board. That leaves either a connection from the crossover board to midbass driver or the midbass driver.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-20-2014, 8:20 AM Reply   
Yeah, it's super easy to take those 485's apart and make sure everything's connected internally. Do that.