Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
Now why doesn't the same logic that guides "splashing" apply to towers? Change a detail and bye bye CC patent fee?
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-13-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Because CC patented the tower itself, not the particular design.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-13-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
I like the black and white, but they should have copied the old school Generic IDEA, and just had: BOAT : written in black on the side.

Like the old generic: "BEER".
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
Also, changing the tower to a better looking one wouldn't add any cost.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
Great idea...

1.Create DD boat with proven 20+ year old CC shape
2.Sell for 1/2 new boats
3.???
4.Profit!!

Seriously, though, this thing is sweet. A little more conventional tower and they have it MADE. A Direct drive isn't always a bad thing :-).
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-13-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
"A Direct drive isn't always a bad thing :-)."

Well your half right Dan. If your family/friends are into skiing then a DD isn't a bad thing. But if your just wakeboarders then a DD just hinders you from any aspect you look at it.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Jason,
That's not true! A DD gets out of the hole better than a similarly equipped V-Drive any day of the week. A DD gets better fuel economy too, less parasitic drag. Do you really want me to keep going??

I guess the Mastercraft CSX is a bad design then...

(Message edited by wakeboardsam on April 13, 2009)
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
Maintenance? I would much rather work on a DD than a v-drive. Although if you're not working on your own boat this is a non-issue.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
holy fugly. first off...if it is a wakeboarding boat, vdrive is a necessity for a good wake. and at that price point, there are a butt load of great boats with at least 2 gauges, plush interiors, built in ballast systems, stereos and more. even late model used boats that blow it away for roughly the same price. do not compare that to a wakeboarding boat, it reminds me of an 80's 2001 or MC or something. compare it to that. what would you rather buy for $30K a new version of a 30 year old boat with the same or less options than the 30 year old boat. give me an 5-8 year old loaded v-drive wakeboard boat for less.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
From the looks of the tower mounts, it appears it could easily be turned around and put on facing the right direction.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
So the Direct Drive Mastercraft CSX 220 isn't a wakeboard boat? The resin infused hull that made the Epic so cutting edge is 30 year old boat tech? This is great boat! Some people want a new boat, not someone's problems. You don't need a vdrive to go wakewboarding! How many gauges are in the Malivue or what ever their all in one guage is?
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-13-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
Mark,
That comment is totally untrue. "A vdrive is a necessity for a good wake?" I know a number of d-drive boats (80's 2001 included) that produce awesome wakes. A v-drive actually, technically speaking, has nothing to do with the shape of the wake... its mostly in the shape of the hull.

As for plotting it against a 5-8 year old v-drive for the same price, that is true. But the used boat won't come with a warranty, manufacturers backing, customization options and most importantly the new fiberglass smell.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-13-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
can anyone with photoshop turn that tower around so we can see what it would look like
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-13-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Haha... Everyone says "bring back the 2001!" Well, here it is and now everyone has better ideas... typical

Any engine worth 15K better be doin a helluva lot more than 300 horse...

as you were
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
The more I look at this boat, the more I like it (other than the tower of course) Assuming the wake is anything like the 2001, how sweet would it be to have a 2001 without the wood and a modern EFI engine?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
He needs to up the price a couple hundred dollars and add in Engine guages.

Not having a temp guage could be pretty risky.

A fuel guage would be nice too!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
You should do a little reading... That one gauge probably can tell you more than any guage or gauges in any other wakeboat...

All in one gauge!

Upload
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-13-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
The Prius of wakeboard boats. A 2001 uses about half the gas of even a small modern v-drives, and its a 20y/o carbed motor with only 240hp.

There are a few design aspects I don't care for (dash, tower, w/s), but I think it's a sweet idea and a cool boat. Best of luck with the venture.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-13-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
the more I look at it, the more I like it.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-13-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
I believe the specs of the boat called the motor a 335 hp mercruiser which would make it a scorpion. Some research was done and for a smaller builder like them that motor and tranni comb would be very close to 15 K less but very close. And i only wish that it were true that most riders could care less who shreds or is sponsored by which boat then we could all just fire our sales and marketing teams. As far as being factory direct thats great who needs a dealer to help them with any problems that may arise on a new boat. I'm sure the guys from florida will fly out and take care of many minor issues with their boat at no charge since they all work for free anywho
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-13-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
does it have a 1:1 transmision or a reduction gear?
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
Whats the word on this boat?How many have they built?Do they sell to the public yet?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-13-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
Well with it being a mercruiser engine it wont be hard to get the engine serviced. As for the rest of the boat, well hopefully it is pretty solid. I have had my 2001 for 4 years and it has never had to go to a Nautique dealer. Fairly simple boats. But I can see how if you have a waranty issue than there may be problems.

As for fuel efficiency in the old carb 2001s, I can have 2000 pounds of ballast in my boat and run it for 2 hours straight on about 25 -30 bucks usually. The wake with that much weight is pretty much a 210's wake only a little narrower.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
Sam I realized what all that guage does.

Problem is you have to flip through the menu to get to all of those. And you have to turn your head, to the side to read that guage, as well as take your hands off the wheel to access the menu.

I like to have my temp guage, speedo, oil pressure, and fuel, all accessible at one glance.

A couple hundred dollars worth of guages, could save you a couple thousand in the end.

But to each their own.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-13-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
Wonder if you could get one for 25 with no tower?
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-13-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Tanner, I asked the same question and he said that he can add any gauges you want. There is room for them to the left of the steering wheel, they will just be added options. As for the price on them... no clue
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-13-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
Glad to see that someone still cares about what matters in a boat: that it's a boat. NO MORE WATER ESCALADES!

Best of luck Standard!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
If it (gauge thing) is anything like MC's little display you can have 4/5 things up at once, and you can pick them.... you put what is important to you on the display.... I would imagine it would work the same.

It was nice to have what you want right there... rpm, depth, engine temp, fuel, etc etc... and you could mix and match.

I know for our boat we never ever ever would need the fuel gauge, just wasted space... our Speedo's are worthless too.... we only use RPM. I think 1 big display is better than 10 stupid little ones, and most do not affect a person either way.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
Every aspect of that boat is controlled by the computer.Gauges are a pointless past time being phased out as we speak.
Old     (lowend)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-14-2009, 1:58 AM Reply   
Seriously I love it.
Better tower and ballast as standard and thats pretty much all you need.
I still dont understand how people sell a "wakeboat" that does not have ballast as standard. It is essential.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-14-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
29K?? has the market for the supplies to make a boat changed that much? Malibu made the Tantrum, Moomba had numerous, and Gekko did the same thing 10 years ago. All these boats looked 1000 times better than that one, and cost half of what that thing does. Heck, I paid $22K for a new, fully loaded Malibu Echelon in 1997 that would run circles around that thing in every way.

Has the cost of making boats really gone up two fold, plus?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-14-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
"does it have a 1:1 transmision or a reduction gear?"

You really don't need a gear reduction in a DD that size, with that engine. I had the first generation Scorpian in a Malibu DD, and it just would have been stupid out of the hole with a gear reduction.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-14-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
Jeff,inflation is what your seeing.My buddy purchased one of those kr500 mustangs or whatever there called and proceeded to violate it with aftermarket parts.I asked him why he was doing it and he told me in twenty years if the car brought four times what it did today he would break even due to inflation so whats the point in saving a collector car.

(Message edited by formfunction on April 14, 2009)

(Message edited by formfunction on April 14, 2009)
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-14-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Assuming 3% inflation, you paid approx. $31,350 in 2009 USD. I'm not knocking the Malibu, but the Standard boat has some expensive features that the Echelon didn't, such as the tower and speed control. I don't know which engine you had, but even if the power output was the same as this one, it wasn't as advanced.

My point is only that the price seems to be in the ballpark. Remember, $29K is MSRP. My guess is that most people will pay less than that, even with the ballast option.

On a different note, it appears that Standard has made the boat that lots of people on this site have been asking for. Well done folks. (But change the tower please! In case you're reading... http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/contact.html.)
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
Good price, crappy tower design...but with that said I like where the idea is going for sure!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-14-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
What about a resin infused hull? That feature alone is worth some big bucks.
Old     (swatkinz)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-14-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
is it the windshield design or is it actually moved forward from where an old 2001 windshield would be. The closed bow portion looks smaller than what the 2001s have. That cooler spot up front would offer easy access to a ballast bag
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-14-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure that the windshield is moved forward. It seems a lot roomier than a 2001 and I think it is because of that.

Sam, I checked out the factory too while I was there. The resin infusion process is a unique process that produces much stronger lighter boats than a normal hand lay up. I agree that it is definitely worth some extra money for that. Phil really knew what he was talking about, and I'd say composites was hands down his strong point... He blew me away with his knowledge
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-14-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Polkaking27,
That is basically the same system that Epic is using, different but basically the same. Lots of companies are switching to the infusion process, probably about a half dozen bass boats. The results are super strong but are generally lesser than the old methods in the cosmetic department. I have yet to see an infused boat look good as the king of gelcoat - Sanger Boats.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-14-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
Trash
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-14-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
This is exactly what everyone has been asking for. The tower is ugly (easy fix) but besides that this boat is awesome.

I'd like to buy this to have a boat at home for weekday riding. Then i could leave my other boat at the cabin instead of towing it back and forth. Or sell my gas guzzler SUV and tow this back and forth with a crossover

cheaper boat lift
good on fuel
5 peeps
low maintenance

Love it
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
I think the color is throwing everyone off. It's got a darker look to it with the grays. Make it red, blue, orange or yellow and it just got spruced up a bit. YES the tower needs some work, but it's functional, like the rest of the boat.

What I wouldn't give to have a simple boat like this, that does everything the other boats do! Throw 500lb bag on each side of the motor and go have fun.

This is definitely going in the right direction.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-14-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
Bags on the side just wouldn't do I think. 1000Lbs of hidden ballast though, money
Old     (delta_mud)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-14-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
Anodyne"..No more water Escalades". That's classic. I think the lack of "bling" is cool. Good luck, Standard.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-14-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
I like the boat. If I remember correctly, RetroFridge re-did a 2001 a few years back with an EFI engine and he wound up having a good bit invested in it. I would like to see the tower with a Z-5 bimini/cargo rack. I think it would look better with a nice bimini, kind of like the new Nautique tower looks better with a bimini. I don't love the windshield, but I like some of the ideas they put into the boat. I would love to see them do a V-drive version and keep the price low. Good luck to the company, looking forward to seeing some more pics with different colors.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-14-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
There is currently a v-drive conversion of a 2001 going on at the2001.com right now.

http://www.the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1184&star t=45
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-15-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
I don't post much on here, but if this is indeed the boat that everyone "on this forum has been asking for", everyone must be mentally challenged. $30k for a direct drive "wakeboard boat" with 6 seats and next to no options is pretty retarded. Screw the term "price point" boats. A new, cheaper boat is just that - cheaper and your going to get what you pay for. Much like buying a new Kia car or something.

There is a reason why there is a huge used boat market. 82-89 Nautiques - great boats and loaded out for about $10k or less. Older Malibu sunsetters/responses with the wedge, Mastercraft 205's, Sport Nautique's - $8-15K. There is your price point boats people. There are plenty of older, awesome wake machines out there for $20k or under. Plus in buying a name brand boat, you can keep it for a while, have resell value and actually be able to sell it if you decide to do so!

Yeah, there may be maintenance on older boats and parts you MAY have to buy, but nothing is like the experience of having an older boat and performing your own maintenance. It makes you appreciate a nicer boat that much more when you get one.

Thats my rant for now. I just have alot of thoughts about this subject seeing as my mom bought me a 2001 Tige 21i loaded out when i was 17. We couldn't afford a new MC or Nauti, so $30k got us that Tige. I hated that "Price Point" boat. The wake was horrible, we had constant issues with the Mercruiser engine. It was just a turd boat. After hearing me complain about it for about a year, she sold it and told me to pick out another boat for $8k for a graduation present. I got an 1986 Nautique silver edition and I LOVED the wake. I kept it for 4 years before upgrading to my VLX. The point is, don't settle for something new, cheap and expect to be happy. More than likely, it just won't happen.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-15-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
How about 'a new less expensive boat is just that- less expensive'? And who really enjoys maintaining their boats? I do it because I'm better than most mechanics and I like saving the money. I would take riding over wrenching every time so if I don't ever have to I'm happy. This boat is going to kill and if he only plans on building one a week I bet he'll have a waiting list. If this boat said MC on the hull they'd be asking $40k and everyone but the BU folk would be drooling.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-15-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
I don't understand why everyone thinks a DD can't have a good wake.

If the weight is placed correctly is does not matter where the engine sits (I have a direct drive sport/air and the wake is excellent.

I agree that a used boat is usually a better value but this boat gives you a small, efficent, reliable, low maintenace boat with a great wake (assuming) for under 30k with warrantee.

The unfortunate thing for this company is I suspect that the luxury aspect of wakeboarding is a lot more important than people say.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-15-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
Fuel injection,engine management,cruise,depth finder,watertemp gauge and its brand new from the bearings on the trailer to the waterpump on the motor.Priced close to 25,000 this boat is a steal.On top of that the windsheild is pushed foward giving more space without taking up more.Its like a streetrodded cc but without the headache of the previous owners neglect.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-15-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
"I just have alot of thoughts about this subject seeing as my mom bought me a 2001 Tige 21i loaded out when i was 17. We couldn't afford a new MC or Nauti, so $30k got us that Tige. I hated that "Price Point" boat. The wake was horrible, we had constant issues with the Mercruiser engine. It was just a turd boat. After hearing me complain about it for about a year, she sold it and told me to pick out another boat for $8k for a graduation present"

If only my mom had bought me 2 boats by time I graduated high school, then I would have such great insight. Internet arguing is worthless, but wow, what a spoiled rant.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-15-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Listen Mike, at 17 with parents who could afford to dish out money like that, my situation was what it was. Call it what you will, but my mom did everything she could to support my wakeboarding habit. Alot of parents do that. Look at the danny harfs, sovens, jd webbs, etc. Why don't you call them out and call them spoiled since their parents obviously shelled out money on boats, gas, gear, etc. to get them where they are now. For the record, I pay for my 08 VLX on my own, live on my own and have NO support from the parents now so you can get off that.

I'm an experienced rider and know what works and what doesn't. I've been riding for 10 years now and have ridden behind almost every wakeboat made. It was just an example - you don't always get what you pay for in boats. For the money, you can definitely get a better boat - used. Obviously there are alot of people that don't value wake quality that much. After all, isn't use of the wake what's wakeboardings all about anyway?
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   

quote:

wow, what a spoiled rant.

Aye. Besides Mercruiser being one of the most trusted brands of engines here (I've never owned/worked on one, but I'm sure many people here would attest to it.), what makes the Tige' price point? IMHO even a 'price point' inboard is superior to MANY inboard/outboards, especially when it was 'loaded out', and ESPECIALLY at 17. Heck, at 17 I would just be glad to be out on the water (being 16 myself).

[/rant about spoiled rant]
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-15-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
"For the money, you can definitely get a better boat - used. Obviously there are alot of people that don't value wake quality that much."

How do you possibly know this? Have you ridden behind one of these boats yet? I'm guessing not because you don't mention it. Enough people rave about the wake behind a 2001 that if MC still made them likely they would sell. MC does not want to do that because they can't and still make their $80k boats seem like a good value. This creates a market for the folks at Standard. This boat tries to sell against bling by attempting to sell high quality without it. The pro audio stripper pole folks, who just bought something else for $75k, probably are not going to be impressed. It sounds like only one of us has ridden behind one of these and if I read it correctly the wake was great. I hope this builder is successful and that it spurs other builders, big and small, to do something similar. That has to be good for the sport, right?

(Message edited by roverjohn on April 15, 2009)
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-15-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
Brandon,

I find it funny that you can knock it w/o having ridden behind one...especially if it is the 2001 hull, since you said in your original post you owned an 86 and loved the wake. You obviously aren't the target market of this boat, but that's no reason to just get on here and bash it with no facts to support.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-15-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
"Enough people rave about the wake behind a 2001 that if MC still made them likely they would sell."

MC?

Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-15-2009, 8:23 PM Reply   
With the down turned economy I see the days of the lake Escalade's coming to a end . Would I like one ,sure but I don't feel the need to spend 40 Grand to cover up my shortcoming's.I always thought it was about the wake & not the bling. I spent some time looking the boat over at the show & the finish product is outstanding, 335 hp in a 1300 lb package is bound to be a rocket ship. I'm not stuck on the tower , but most anything else would make it look to similar to any other tower. I'm sure that you could order it without the tower or trailer to shave off some of the cost. I snapped a few pictures but they need to be smaller to post..
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-16-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
IF this is the 2001 Nautique hull, why would you pay $30k for it when you could just buy an old Nautique, throw PP, sacs and a tower on it, then have a nice boat for like 10k?

Its whatever guys, be stoked on this if you want but I personally would rather rock an old Nautique than hurt in the pocket paying for a new Standard boat that pretty much performs the same.

And my Tige comment being a price point boat. It was a brand new 2001 21ft open bow with a tower for $30k. X-Stars were like $50k+, Tige 21v's were like 45k+, Nautiques were in the $50k range - so yes, I considered the 21i Tige to be price point since it was about $20k+ less.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
I'm stoked. I'd rather rock this than an old Nauty, the engine is brand spanking new, interior is slightly larger, and it's simple/basic. I need a boat to hold 3-4 riders, equipment, and throw a wake that let's me throw what I want. This has expanded my options to actually owning my first brand new boat within 2-3 years, rather than 10-15. Great job Standard!
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-16-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
IF this is the 2001 Nautique hull, why would you "pay $30k for it when you could just buy an old Nautique, throw PP, sacs and a tower on it, then have a nice boat for like 10k? "

no rotten stringers, EFI engine, new trailer, nicer interior, warrantee, resin infused hull.

not everyone has the time or patience for a "project boat"
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-16-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Trapper, you forgot the engine management and the cruise control
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-16-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
I agree with trapper and a-dub, given the 2 options of an older 2001 and this boat, there is no question. This boat is like a 2001 on steroids. Well worth the money, and it will be the first 'new' boat that I buy.

If anyone is in Florida I'd give standard a call. Phil was super cool to give me a pull behind this boat, then show me the factory, and teach me about the build process. He totally got me stoked on summer coming! I wish them the best, and I'm sure the orders will be lining up!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
I disagree on the nicer interior comment made by Trapper. 85 and up interiors with the upgraded interiors are among the most plush I have ever sat in, that is if you can find a good one that has been well maintained. The 2001 sips gas and it isnt EFI nor does it weigh 1300 pounds. The standard boat sounds like a fuel sipping rocket ship for sure.

Not to start a war (thinking of previous tige posts) but if the boat weighs less than a 2001 doesnt that mean it needs more ballast to make up for the less weight? This being in a boat that no matter who is making it is starved for extra room.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-16-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
The boat is 2550 pounds not 1300.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-17-2009, 4:49 AM Reply   
Sorry, I was going by the spec on the postcard. It Must have been a misprint.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-17-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
seriously,I don't know if you guys are arguing for the sake of entertainment or actually dislike the boat but the fact is it represents wakeboarding perfectly.In all reality if the wake is good,reliable and gets decent mileage there should be nothing else needed.
Wakeboarding is not about how loud your stereo is or how many skanks you have dancing on your transom.Its not about impressing people with huge depreciating investments either.Its about riding with your friends.Anything else is just lake sport.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-17-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
"Wakeboarding is not about how loud your stereo is or how many skanks you have dancing on your transom.Its not about impressing people with huge depreciating investments either.Its about riding with your friends.Anything else is just lake sport." Well said Brock.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
Moon----Best Post on WW to Date!
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-17-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
If that boat came in at $25K to $27 with trailer then kuddos. I would rock that boat all day long. I do like having a little bigger boat, but that means you have to wait longer to ride. Do you know how many times I have wanted to say, "sorry, don't have room today". If that boat is a 2001 hull, then there is should be no question that it can throw a wake. Best of luck to standard.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-17-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Screw a bigger boat. If they came out with a good priced boat then your friends could afford one and not all have to pile in yours. Smaller boats are easier to clean and take less ballast.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-17-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
Why does everybody say you need to ride behind it first? That boat looks to have the exact same wetted surface as the 2001.

I am starting to think it isn't that bad of a price for a new boat now that I think about it if it can be had for 25-27 with trailer. The crappy economy and boat dealers going out of business like wold fire has screwed the market. I don't know many people that wouldn't pay an extra 5k for a new Sanger V210 right now but that is a result of our current economy. In regular times a V210 is probably 35k+ which then would make you think about it a little harder.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-17-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
Glad somebody is finally doing it. As an owner of an '85 2001, I'm glad to see something coming along that is more like this model. It'll be interesting to see the difference in wake shape, if any.

Why not make it 'Ballast Ready'? Have the pumps/lines plumbed in so you just by your ballast sacs and hook them up? There won't be much way to hide ballast (although the front cooler is intriguing), so just make it ready to plug-n-play side sacs and one for the rear. Or just the option.

Shoot, I'd take a carbed model with 240hp... don't need more power than that and the price would drop even more.

Then again, I'm used to a 'project boat'.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-17-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
Brett, I have to ask what you mean by this because I don't understand it.

"The crappy economy and boat dealers going out of business like wild fire has screwed the market."

Who thinks the market is screwed other than sellers of overpriced boats? I don't think the big brands understand the market as well as they think. Not everyone makes $250k or wants other people to think they do they just want to ride and they don't need a 23' long, 9' wide Escalade to do that. What's interesting about this guys project is that just about anyone could do it with relatively small start up costs. It wont surprise me in the slightest if someone else builds the same boat and competes with Standard. If that happens whoever has the lowest fixed overhead will be able offer the lowest pricing while still making a good hull. The big players wont like that at all.
Old     (darrellcordova)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-18-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
Wow, even after six years of designing at Nautiques and reading negative posts on the product these juvenile comments still get under my skin. I'd like to introduce myself and put my $0.02 in:

I was the Senior CAD Designer for Correct Craft from 00-06, designed products for Pickard USA, Nick Anglada with Custom Sportbike Concepts and most recently consulted for Disney Ride & Show Engineering.

I'm not here to argue or bash other boat builders. Lets just say that after the corporate mentality took over at CC my heart wasn't in it anymore, it was time to part ways. The owner of Standard Boats is a long time friend of mine. When he explained to me that he was going to pursue this project I was completely excited.

This boat is aimed at the core rider. In no way has any shortcuts been taken in construction or materials to achieve the seating, bling or mini-van luxuries of everything else on the market. The hull/deck construction is ahead of its time. The other manufacturers have been attempting to incorporate this (Resin Infused Composite) for years. The drive-ability is incredible and the wake is phenomenal.

I could go on and on about this boat but the bottom line is I don't like spending my weekends digging out rotten stringers, repairing screws lagged into fiberglass or looking at cracked upholstery. I have kids to put through college so I have no desire to finance 50-75k on my hobby. When I get back from my project in New York this boat will be sitting in my driveway.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
who are you responding to? a lot of people in this thread love the concept, including me.

any time a new boat comes along, people will criticize. gotta roll with the punches and keep working toward the end goal.

most importantly, stay positive about it...
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-18-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
You can't get more legit than that! Thanks for posing Darrell.

(Message edited by otown_dave on April 18, 2009)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-18-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
Darrell if you get one let me know and I'll come bum a ride.
Old     (darrellcordova)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-18-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Fro-Z, thanks.
Tim, where you been brutha??!! We'll be coordinating demo's soon of course your welcome anytime, I'll be back in town next month.
Also, Tower options are in the works.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-18-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
Owning a 2001 myself I think it's great. Personally I'd order without the tower and fit my own (the more usual way round).

I'd maybe like a bit more height on the windscreen too.

I do think it's funny that people have been saying the 2001 hull should make a come back for years and now it's here they nay say it.

It kind of looks like a mini epic in white!

(Message edited by jayc on April 18, 2009)
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-18-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
Darrell do you know what the ballast options are?