Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-08-2019, 12:20 PM Reply   
It's cool to see him on Hyperlite now. They've got a great team, but the video made me sad about the state of wakeboarding. I can't believe these guys still try to ride for a living when they can't even pay for gas. I guess chase the dream for as long as you can!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-08-2019, 1:37 PM Reply   
Yeah, it was an interesting vibe indeed. Wakeboarding and really all of action sports has shrunk the past few years. I don't think any of it is dying though. Just being refined. Good to see Josh riding more cable and winch, as it seems being well rounded is the way to slay these days. Gunther being a good example. I'm excited to see what he creates in Woodland.
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       04-09-2019, 2:37 PM Reply   
We're really excited about supporting Josh! TheLounge is right, the Wake industry is strong but we're in the middle of a rapidly changing environment and truth be told there are more athletes we'd love to support but can only do so much. Having Twelker and Trever riding together with Rod behind the Lens will produce some killer content, can't wait!

Warmer Weather is starting to hit, can't wait for the season - Have fun WakeWorld Fans!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-10-2019, 11:36 AM Reply   
You guys are killing it with the team Greg!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-11-2019, 8:55 AM Reply   
It's not just the state of wakeboarding, but the state of that particular type of wakeboarder. Guys that aren't doing Cory, Harley, and Dowdy level of technical tricks can't compete in contests, which leaves only videos. History has showed us that the guy that can't make the podium (or close) at contests aren't going to make the big bucks, and will have a shorter career. Think Randall...... And even if they do, they have a very limited amount of time to grab the money before the level rises and makes you less relevant. Look at how fast Rusty went from dominating contests to never seeing the podium again the year Cory started landing doubles on tour. By the time he recovered from his leg injury the sport jumped what seemed like 5 years. Thankfully he built a name through the contest scene (like Murray, Parks, Harf) that will fill his pockets for many years hopefully.

I watched JT grow up and have always supported and rooted for him. He changed our perspective on what style really is. But in my opinion the non-contest rider can't get as far.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-11-2019, 10:40 AM Reply   
I do think there is a place for non contest riders. I think it lies in content creation. If I were a team manager, I’d be very interested in paying for guys like Trever Maur, David OC or JB O’neill. These guys are creating a space for new inflow of riders. For example, I would bet only some of David OC’s 30k insta followers know who Cory or Mike Dowdy are. I see Twelker moving closer to Maur as being a good step for him being a continuous part of what Maur is doing.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-11-2019, 3:30 PM Reply   
Agree David OC and JB are going about things on a different but great way. David's video with Shaun Murray is one of the best wakeboarding videos of all time. Just to see his excitement to ride with Shaun was awesome, and then they got in the water and topped that.
Old     (hyperlite291)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-11-2019, 8:41 PM Reply   
+1 on David and JB
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-12-2019, 10:06 AM Reply   
Well said Jarrod as always.
Old     (wakeshoprep)      Join Date: Apr 2019       05-06-2019, 8:47 AM Reply   
Also agree on David and JB. They are dominating the social game, my son watches them all the time before I take him riding. Content seems to be what grabs peoples attention these days and I definitely don't see much great content coming from the contest scene.

Hope to see Trever and Josh putting out great things.
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       05-24-2019, 9:50 AM Reply   
WakeShopRep - Couldn't Agree More & The T&T are working on some good stuff, hope to release in July. Gotta find a good name tho, Style Forum? IDK?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-24-2019, 1:40 PM Reply   
jb stuff is fun to watch. he has a great no nonsense approach. and his how to videos are helpful...

i think the challenge for all these guys is how to keep it fresh...and once you have done a tutorial on a certain set of tricks what do you do...you kind of run out of content at some point...