Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-20-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Not to long ago I was working about to take another job (at least was interviewing) in the Chicago/Milwaukee area since the Mrs. needed to get to a more metro area to find jobs in her field... since that my current company has offered me the chance to move to their corporate HQ in Bloomington, MN to keep me with the company. I still have to go through some steps before anything happens but if/when it does I'm curious on where to look for living purposes.

Since I've never really lived in a Metro area the thought of a downtown loft is awesome to me. I can walk to food, sports, music, etc etc which I've never had the chance to do.... on the flip side I currently drive 45 miles to work (each way) and it takes me 52 minutes.... Zero traffic.

... I've been looking at places to rent for the first 6 months to a year (before maybe buying) in the North Loop area (Target field to Metrodome)... so right downtown and where I would be working is basically a straight shot south on 35W (Work's address would be 1400 West 94th Street, Bloomington, MN)
.... how is the traffic from the city to Bloomington on I35W southbound in the A.M. and then obviously northbound back into the city 4-5pm?

I've done some looking at it appears I could also ride the train from most anywhere downtown all the way to the Mall of America, then catch a bus for like two miles to a bus station in front of where I would be working.... so there is the potential to rely on public transportation.

For those who live there, should I just scrap the "downtown" lifestyle and find something more normal in the burbs?

Thanks for the help, and excited to potentially be able to join all you MN riders!
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-20-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Not sure if you have a rig right now or plan to in the near future, but storing a boat at a remote location is a major pain if you are looking to do the DT loft living.

I have co-workers who commute from golden valley and st. louis park (just east of downtown on 394) down to eagan and they never have any traffic complaints.

You could have a pretty minimal/quick commute from one of the south / southwest suburb.

There are some others will certainly chime in who are more familiar with the 35W situation.

You'll have no problem getting in with a crew no matter what side of the city you are on. Although the South Side riders are better group of people, IMO
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-20-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
Until now I've always lived on the lake and had an old Super Air 210 (supersport) but recently sold it to my brother, so I would be going boatless.

Since I was born we've lived in the sticks so I figured if I was going to go to a large city do it right and be in the heart of things while I'm still young... I would imagine a 12th floor urban loft isn't likely if/when kids come along.
... but with living in the middle of nowhere I've never dealt with traffic so when I do face it, it drives be crazy.

The other option is to try and find a fixer upper on the water somewhere near the cities.... but lake property there is much more $$$ than where I am coming from.

.... as far as finding riding buddies, from what I see hear all the MN guys are super cool and I'm willing to put down for gas, cleanup, etc etc.... and I've been driving inboards since I was like 5 (without perfect pass) so I can fill in there too.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
Old     (redwhiteblizue)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-21-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Southbound on 35W = smooth sailing in the AM. Going north it gets pretty slow from 4-6pm from 36th st until 94 splits- though maybe not killer if you're staying in the left lane heading to dt. Advice on metro transit: express buses are nice. local buses tend to be less than 'classy'. m-f 6am-6pm buses are rarely late. can be a crapshoot outside those times. and having a connection or waiting at all in the winter is not fun. light rail is ok and on time.

Your thoughts are right on...a place in Bloomington, Burnsville, Eagan will be cheaper and commute will be same/easier. But nights will consist of going to applebees or whatever your suburan pleasure. Everyone should live in a city at some point. North loop is real nice but more expensive. Uptown is also a good place for 20somethings with plenty of places in walking distance. You'll get used to traffic--mpls isn't too bad compared to other parts of the country and unless there is snow storm the worst traffic only adds +-15 minutes to your drive.

Also: The mississippi is always smooth but the only boats I see there are the river rats...I'm right around there but the boat lives at the parent's lake. anyone here ride the river regularly?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-21-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
15 mins to work from warehouse
25 mins home from work warehouse

I live way south and work in the warehouse (washington 8th) - it's pretty light coming out of the city in the morning but it gets busy coming back in around 5:15.

Consider your situation - I'd definitely live downtown and commute out. Wife and I used to live close to your work before we had kids - good central location but downtown is much preferable.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-23-2012, 6:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Southbound on 35W = smooth sailing in the AM
Quote:
it's pretty light coming out of the city in the morning but it gets busy coming back in around 5:15.
That is great to hear, I was afraid my 11 miles would take like 2 hours... As long as I can keep it to ~45 mins or less I would be happy.

I spoke to a few college buddies, all of which live in Uptown, near Lake Calhoun, so I may look in the Uptown area to have some friends near-by.

Thanks again for all the input, I'm hoping it all works out and the MN sports teams keep sucking it up, I like the idea of seeing games for cheap because the home team is so bad.

Go Pack Go!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-23-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
I live 28 miles south of downtown and work downtown.. I go "with" traffic both ways and my average commute is between 45-60 minutes..

You're going 11 miles against traffic and if you end up in Uptown - you're cutting out the worst part of the commute which is that last/first mile in/out of downtown.

And if you say Go Pack Go while living here - you will be kicked in the nuts repeatedly, if only by me.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-23-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
And if you say Go Pack Go while living here - you will be kicked in the nuts repeatedly, if only by me.
Haha, I think I'll be at the Dec 30th Packers vs. Vikings game at the Metrodome.... in green and gold. My engagement/wedding planning has hardened by balls quite well, so bring it!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-24-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
I'll be there as well - we shall pregame together.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-24-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
Living in Maple Grove (just NW of the cities) I would make a 25mi trip just past Bloomington in 45-50mins during high-traffic hours. Nice area with a few decent lakes.