Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-06-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
Does anyone have these instructions that they could e-mail to me? I'm really interested in doing this mod, but I'm just kind of curious of how involved and how difficult it is. Thanks a lot for any help.
Old     (kyboatworks)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-07-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
You can find the instructions on Fly High's website.

http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSupport.html
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-07-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Just about done installing ours. Only had the boat since saturday. Second time we've installed the fly high system in an x-star. Pretty easy. I would recommend getting some extra hose just in case. We do a couple mods for surfing I'll post some pics.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-08-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
Mark,
Where did you put your valves at? I just got my kit yesterday, and was holding one of the valves up in the storage area at the rear of the cabin, and it looks like after installing it there, there would be no way to put that plastic storage bin back in.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Shawn
I was talking about installing the fly high system in an x-star. I'm not very familiar with the x-2 so I don't know what plastic storage bin your talking about. But we install our fly high valves in the back compartment where the instructions show. Also we install two other valves in the hose line in front so we can choose to fill the left front or right front by themselves for surfing. It's been raining like crazy here in kc so once I get a chance I'll post some pics.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-08-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Mark,
Thanks for the input. Not sure what X-Star you have, but mine has a plastic bin under the middle rear seat. I have seen some people mount the valves to that hull wall facing the cabin area. The picture shows what I an talking about.
Upload
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Some people put the valves where you show but we install them in the rear passengers side storage compartment. Keeps it hidden but only takes opening the hatch to get to them. Also most of the existing ballast lines will reach this location. If you look at the instructions that boatworks posted they show the valves in the carpeted back wall of the storage compartment. It's easier to cut since it's plastic. Either spot will work and I've seen it done both ways.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-09-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
Mark,
I hear ya. I just go back and forth between both spots. Back in the compartment would be nice and out of the way. That way the kids don't mess with them either. Share some pics after you get it done!
Hey, are you friends with Phil, by chance? j/c Also what year is your X-Star? I assume you elminated your timers as well if it is an '07 or '08.

(Message edited by ShawnK on April 09, 2008)
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
I was looking at installing this as well, but to purchase the installation kit is an extra $650 on most sites (total $1250). From what I understand, this only give you the directional valves, the t-valve for the vent, hose and fittings. Looking at the instructions, I think I could get similar components from a local plumbing supply company for much less. The install wouldn't be as "pretty", but it would function the same. Is there something special about the Fly-High kit that I am missing? Has anyone else done this?
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-11-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Joe,
You are correct about finding the fittings and everything on you own, but I would highly recommend purchasing the valves from Fly High. They are so compact and slick. I did look at getting some three ball valves locally and on the internet, but I would have been spending a $150 on those valves anyways. So, spending another $100 or so on the Fly High valves was worth it. They work great. But other than that, the hose, fittings, and everything else can be bought on your own. Good luck!
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-11-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Sorry for the double post, but Mark I decided against that mounting location and decided to put the valves in the port rear compartment. Thanks!
Upload
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Shawn ... where did you order your valves from?
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-11-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Fly High direct.
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
See attached. I think you can install the X-Star ballast bags without the Fly-High kit for a little over $200 ... which is saving of $400! Obviously you wouldn't have the nice 3-way Fly-High Valves, but it would work well otherwise. I substituted the 3-way valve with a standard ball valve & T-fitting, thus allowing you to shut off the flow to the Fly-High bags.

Let me know if I missed anything on my parts list.

Upload
application/octet-streamUpload
Fly-High X-Star Ballast System.xls (14.8 k)
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
FYI ... I kept the Fly-High quick connects in the design so you can easily remove the bags for drying purposes.
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-12-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
Can someone let me know which connections to the bags should be right angles and which should be straight?

thanks
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-12-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
The rear sacs will be straight connectors on the bottom. (Fill/Drain) Then right angles on the top of them for overflow. For the front sacs, I used right angles on both.
Here are some pics if you need some reference.http://www.lockituponline.com/08-x-star-fly-high/index.htm
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-13-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Great info Shawn. One question, Why couldn't you run the fill to the sacks directly from the ballast overflow then pipe the sack overflow/vent out?
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-13-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
MCXSTAR,
Thanks. I thought about doing that. A couple reasons for the way I did it. One, I wanted to have control over each system (MC/Fly High) independently. Also, on the '08 X-Star (can't remember on the other years), the overflow for the rear factory tanks is located towards the front of the boat. So I am going to put thru hull fittings towards the rear for the fly high sacs. Plus, if for some reason I didn't need to use the sacs and removed them for storage, the factory ballast system would still be fully functional.