Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2003, 11:44 AM Reply   
The CIPA mirror that came with our Centurion is a piece of crap. It only adjusts with the use of a screwdriver and it doesn't attach to the windshield very well. I'm looking at 2 new CIPA mirrors. Anyone have any complaints good or bad about either of these listed below? I want a mirror that is adjustable up and down without using tools, as many different drivers use our promo boat in tournaments and they need to adjust it with ease. I know the COMP mirror allows this type of adjustment, what about the extreme?

COMP

Extreme
Old    aka Bradley Beach            04-28-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
Nick I think you should get the one that you can see ball to ball. I think Larry Scutter has one on his Nautique. Coolest mirrors I've seen!
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-28-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
the comp bracket blows, the whole thing is held together by one bolt that adjusts the angle and tightens it down. the end of the bolt will pull out of the bracket and then you've got a great mirror sitting in your lap.

i like the mirror, i just need to find a way to re-mount it....tower mount brackets are a crazy expensive right now
Old    sunsetterlxi            04-28-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
I have a CIPA mirror that uses the silver brackets that screw to the windshield in the 2nd pic and they work fine. I don't know if you can get a mirror that uses those brackets anymore, I have sorta looked but not really too much.
Old    chris_hargis            04-28-2003, 12:24 PM Reply   
I have had the comp mirror on my boat fro 3 years now and the bracket is fine. there is a bolt to tighten, but you just get that snug so the mirror stays where you put it and then you can make adjustments for different riders. I like it, and have had no problems.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
So do you have to adjust the know to make all adjustments to the comp? We had a compy type mirror on our old Malibu and it would move with one hand. About once a year you had to tighten a screw in back so it wouldn't slide around, but that was it. I want something like that. I like the Extreme, but dont' know how it adjusts and it looks like a huge mirror to be held on by that little bracket.

Does anyone know if the comp mirror is comparable to the mirror on the '00-'01 Malibu's and just like the '02-'03 Malibu's except the mirror isn't screwed into the windshield?

The Centurion CIPA is the same size as the comp but it has the worst adjustment I have ever seen.

Brad, I like Larry's, but it really isn't functional since our boat is a walkthrough.

Salty, I love the tower mounts and would get one of those in a heartbeat, if we had a tower.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
I have the Comp mirror and was able
to mount it with a piece of sliced poly hose
as a gasket. Doesn't mark up my windsheild
and hasn't moved since I put it there.
I am rather impressed because my boat cover
puts a little stress on the mirror when the cover
is taught (the way it should be).
Old    chris_hargis            04-28-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
ONce you have the bolt snug, you can still make adjustments to the Comp mirror with no problems. I move mine around a bit and it stays where I put it, until I move it again. I have it mounted on the opening part of my windshield, so I move it when My son is siting in fron with the window open (not riding).
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
It looks like I'll go with the Comp, as I haven't had any feedback on the extreme. I know some of the MC ProTournament boats came with that mirror last year, I'll have to talk to the promo guy I know tonight and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old     (soonerboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-28-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
DUde, the comp works great, but once you try the Extreme one, you'll wonder how you did without it. It is really cool being able to see the rider from side to side, all the way, in one mirrow. Mounting is basically the same on both, but the Extreme has a lot more vision. It is long, but not really gaudy. I think you'd like it.
Old    powjunkie            04-28-2003, 3:35 PM Reply   
I just went out with my new Extreme mirror yesterday. The only complaints I have is that you have to unscrew the bracket to lower it when covering the boat - not to take it off, just to lower it so the cover doesn't hit. The other thing is that you have to swing it 90' when opening the window so it doesn't hit the tower because it's so wide. I really like the extra viewing room though. You can see the rider all the way out into the flats - you never know when a water snake will come up and get you out there . I would recommend it over the comp if you don't mind these two inconveniences.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
Lloyd and Darrin,

So can you adjust the mirror up and down and side to side without adjusting a know or a screw?
Old    jpoppa            04-28-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
I have a CIPA Extreme that is almost brand new, used for a couple weeks, that I'd like to sell. Email me if you're interested. It's a great mirror with a really wide viewing area. The only reason I don't need it is we got the new tower mount mirror bar and the extreme won't mount to it. The mount for the extreme has two screws that go into your windshield frame and holds it sturdy with no shaking. It's for a MC X-30, so I don't know how universal the bracket is, or if it will fit your boat, but I'm sure it could be modified easily enough.
-Jordan
Old    powjunkie            04-29-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
Nick,

You do not have to turn any screws to adjust the mirror in all directions. There is the traditional tension screw and another one that makes gross changes in height - which is the one I loosen to lower it far enough to put the cover on. As far as while you're on the water though, you won't be turning any screws.

Jordan - Mine mounts with one large screw that clamps around the windshield frame. It has about a 3" wide protective piece to keep it from scratching the frame. Did you order a special mount for yours?
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-29-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
I've got the extreme and love it..... that comp mirror is a piece of crap. the extreme allows you to see the rider at all times. the side mirrors are adjustable too.
Old     (tjhooker)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-29-2003, 7:31 AM Reply   
I also just bought the Extreme mirror. It is the best mirror for a wakeboard boat. The universal mount on it is also a lot better than my old Comp mirror. I am very happy with my purchase. $109 tax/shipping included.