Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       11-29-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
I've read a few different posts sorta comparing these boards. I'm looking to try a new board this year and looking for input on the three. I currently have a Watson classic and a Murray (last years model). I like both boards but the three stage rocker of the classic is my favorite. Usually ride the classic until I'm tired and switch over to the Murray in the evening and cruise. They are both fun boards but the watson classic is so much more explosive off the wake and i find im way more consistent on it. What I would love to find is a faster, less drag, Watson classic. I've read that the Harley is this board. I'm just about set on buying a Harley but there are some insane deals on the Watson hybrid and Watson online. How does the Watson hybrid, or standard watson compare to the classic. Is there a noticeable difference? Faster, ride higher? I keep going back and forth. I want a Harley but can get a Watson hybrid for so cheap it makes it tempting.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-29-2013, 11:30 AM Reply   
I called liquid force and talked to them and basically they said harley and watson ride very similar. I ended up getting harley limited edition monster board 139 brand new for $120 delivered off of ebay.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       11-29-2013, 2:05 PM Reply   
Nice man. That's a score. The monster edition graphics look sweet in the pics. You get to ride it yet. Anything you can compare it with. Ever ride a Watson classic?
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-29-2013, 6:24 PM Reply   
I have the murray 137 and have ridden the harley 139. I weight about 125. I liked the harley because it was super fast and tracked really well, it also was way better in chop compared to the murray. It was riding a little high for me but i liked it like that. i believe the watson hybrid will have less pop when compared the traditional cores, atleast thats what ive heard.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-29-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
Yeah, 125 seems like it would be way too light for the 139.

I haven't got to ride mine yet as the season ended.

Anyway, a friend has the next size down harley then the one I just got. All i got to say is he is doing backrolls and 360's so that is good enough for me. Just kidding, well kind of, I am replacing a few year old o brien.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-30-2013, 2:13 PM Reply   
I've ridden all 3. I rode the classic for 2 years and loved it. Then I went to the Harley and for some reason I couldn't get consistent with it. Every time I went out I would have one good set and one bad set. That being said I know a lot of people that ride the Harley and love it so I think my experience was just limited to my style of riding or my mental block. The Harley is a lot faster than Watson classic and rides much higher in the water. I sold the Harley and went to the Watson hybrid and I've been on that for the last 2 years and love the board. It's a little faster than the classic but slower than the Harley and pops just as hard once you learn to really use the hybrid core. Hybrid cores favor back foot heavy riders I think but it's a fantastic board.

I don't know what size you ride but I have a 2013 watson hybrid 139 for sale in the classifieds if your interested
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-30-2013, 2:46 PM Reply   
I ride the Harley Grind 139 and weight about 135 the board is fast and lands very soft.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-30-2013, 3:22 PM Reply   
A soft landing will be much appreciated!
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-30-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
A few years ago I would have said that the LF Lyman sounded like exactly what you are looking for.
I really wish they would bring it back.
Under a different name obviously but paying royalties to Mr Lyman, given that he is listed as one of the designers. As far I know.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-01-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs114 View Post
I ride the Harley Grind 139 and weight about 135 the board is fast and lands very soft.
The Harley is nice. Not soft enough for my fat, old butt. I think it will be soft enough for most though. Slingshot gives me the soft landings i am looking for.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       12-01-2013, 10:40 PM Reply   
Ryan thanks man. That's exactly what I was hoping someone could tell me. Anybody else have experience with all three.
I'm really considering buying both at this point. If I can find them cheap I might. Maybe I will sell my classic. It sounds like the Harley is what I'm looking for but ....

What about the regular Watson? Not the classic or hybrid. I don't see many people talking about the non hybrid.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-01-2013, 11:20 PM Reply   
No worries glad I could help. I can't speak for the regular Watson since I have never ridden it. I don't know what your level of riding is but I would say the hybrid would probably be the more advanced board of the 3 you are looking at. If you can swing it buy them both! That way you can try out the hybrid style board if you haven't ridden one and also see which one fits you better. Sounds like your getting a good deal so maybe you can turn around and break even on the one you liked least?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk