Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    jesiday            09-27-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
Hey All,
I just went to my post-op appointment yesterday, ten days after surgery. So far, everything is way ahead of schedule. My surgeon said that if I keep healing at this rate, I will be able to start doing everything in 2-3 months.

I start PT sometime next week, but I can already straighten my leg, and I think my flexion is well over 50% of the original. Right now, I'm actually cleared to start running, cycling, etc...no pivoting actions. I asked him about wakesurfing, and he was basically like "Be Careful!" So, I figure I'll get some more flexion back, and then try at least getting up on a surfer. The great news is that I WILL be able to learn how to snow board this year!!!

I attached some pics...Personally, I think they are really cool. They actually ended up cutting out some bone in order to make the arch where the ACL/PCL reside bigger. They think that's one reason that women are more prone to ACL injuries (just a cool little fact). For those who don't know, I got the hamstring graft. I have some bruising right around my hamstring, but I think it might be a result of where I fell down our stairs last week (co-ordination is not my strong point ;) ).

Old    jesiday            09-27-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Here are some pics...
Torn ACL
Narrow Notch
New ACL!!!
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-27-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
Jessica, we don't have scanner or i would post larry's. Glad to hear your recovery is going good. Larry's is going smoothly also.
Old    jesiday            09-27-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
Gordie,
Thank you. I am really glad that Larry is doing well. Send him my best.
-jesi
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-27-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
Wow, anyone want to see my colonoscopy photos? he he he
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-27-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
F NO! but thanks dood.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
Jesi,

You are a trooper!! You are healing quickly because the day after surgery you were out running around town, dancing 4 days later, etc. You should be on your board by next week. I am only kidding, but not by much, right. You would if we let you. Keep upi the good recovery. See ya Thursday??

Dan,

You are sick man! They have pills for people like you.
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
Hey Jesi,

Glad things are going well. Let me know when you'll be out on the lake so we can hook up!

~Melissa

(Message edited by melissad on September 29, 2005)
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-29-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
Jessi,

Please, please, please...BE PATIENT GIRLFRIEND!!! Let that knee heal up before stressing it. Plus I need time to catch up with you. ;)

Old    jesiday            09-29-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
Tyler,

I'll tell you what...I'll think about it ;). Besides, somebody's got to keep pace with Lisa!!!

I've got to get back out soon, my tan is starting to fade :-(.

-jesi
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       09-30-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ha, you think YOUR tan is starting to fade!

Get well soon, homie. I know you feel great, and have made a very fast recovery, I hope it continues... I can't wait till everyone is up riding (healthy) again.

-Blake
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-30-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Your a trooper girl!!!
As Tyler put it, dont rush it, but your all right,
someone as to keep pace with Lisa!!! LOL
But after watching Jessi dance sat night, you wouldnt think she just had surgery the fri. prior..You rock Jessi!!!
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-30-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
Why did I ever introduce you guys to Lisa??? I'm now coming to the realization it's not all about me ...

I missed Jesi dancing Saturday night? (There are big blanks in my memory, not surprising). I remember a short exchange with the entertainment... but I assume were talking about dancing with Tim and the band?

Old    jesiday            09-30-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
Ha ha ha Tyler...your wit and humor never cease to amaze me !

The 'ol knee is doing great...the swelling is almost 80% (estimate) gone. Personally, I think the best way to get some flexion back would be wakesurfing!!!

-jesi
Old     (purana182)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-01-2005, 2:00 AM Reply   
First off tyler, stop trying to protect yoruself, just becuase your wife is now better than you, don't try to pull it off like you feel bad for introducing her to us.
Jesi, you can keep pace with all of us, just don't get hurt trying, or i'll have to beat your ass, then blake will kick you while your down, and then we'll make fun of you.
Kevin- take notes from jesi, push it you sandy vag*&#

(Message edited by purana182 on October 01, 2005)
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-01-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
Jess: You can totally do it, girl!!! I was boarding 3 months after surgery (just easy boarding). Dont let the frustration get you down. Push yourself as much as you can. I was jogging at 2 months, and it helped a lot.

You rock!
Old    jesiday            10-01-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
Thanks Misty...I was able to jog a collective 200m the other day with my dog during our walk. I'm pretty stubborn, so I'm confident I'll be riding very soon. This weekend, I'm going to see if I can get up on a wakesurfer; I figure that's the most stressful part!

-jesi
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-01-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
"Pretty stubborn" Hahahaha! Hardcore is more like it. Tougher than most guys I know, especially that Blake dude!

That's why you are my hero!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-05-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   

quote:

Push yourself as much as you can.

...yeah, in Physical Therapy, not wakeboarding.
Old    jesiday            10-05-2005, 5:37 PM Reply   
I know...I need to be careful. It's really hard to when my knee feels so good! I don't even get to start formal PT until the 20th of October. Then on the 25th, I go see my doc and get a prescription for a brace.
Soon.....at least I should be ready to learn to snowboard this year. ;)

-jesi
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
There's a reason why you haven't started formal physical therapy:
Bone take 6-8 wks to heal. Callous formation of bone is starting to form.
It takes 3-4 months for the revascularization of the graft to occur.
By jogging when you haven't started PT is not very smart. Essentially what you're doing to yourself is loosening the position of the graft and setting yourself up for failure.
Just because you're feeling great doesn't necessarily equate to graft being fully healing in the its proper position.
Old     (blitzpb)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-07-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Glad to hear that you are doing well Jessica! I had my surgery yesterday (I was dischaged at 5:30pm). The surgeon had to do some extra work (menisucs tear) and so the surgery took a little longer than first anticipated. So now, Im sitting in my living room with a knee the size of a cantalope! I started my excersizes today too. Its strange how hard it is to do simple movements.

Well, good luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Nick
Old    jesiday            10-07-2005, 5:30 PM Reply   
Nick,
Good luck!!! I was so bummed the first week after surgery.

Right now (three weeks out today!!!), it's doing great. The only things I'm not cleared to do are any pivoting motions. However, I am not comfortable going down stairs normally, or walking fast downhill. Other than that, I can jog lightly, wrestle with my dogs, etc...

I think I've been very fortunate to have such a speedy recovery, and I wish you the same!

Take care,
Jesi
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-11-2005, 12:01 AM Reply   
You girls are crazy, . I had ACL/Meniscus surgery about 3-4 weeks ago and my knee is still stiff. It feels good but I dont think I would want to be jogging on it. The hardest thing for me right now is knee extension (getting the back of the knee flush with ground) and bending it in (Im only about 90 deg if that). I want my knee to fully complete the healing process before I put it through any stress such as boarding. The last thing I want to do is tear myself up again. Be safe and good luck.