Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
Just curious if anyone has any experience towing with a Toyota Highlander and what they think?

I've had a boat for 6 years and have never had a tow vehicle (yay for friends with trucks)!

My Wife and I just had a our first child and we have decided to get a Toyota Highlander as her daily driver. I'm planning to either get one with a tow package or have a tow package added.

I will still probably use my friends' trucks to tow more often than not but would like to have the option if necessary.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-17-2014, 1:24 PM Reply   
Not sure what year and trim you are looking at but I just looked up a 2010 Highlander V6 awd. THe tow capacity is 5k. That is way more than enough for an 88 Nautique 2001.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-17-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
Not sure how true it is - and we did not end up getting one - but the sales person at toyota said the highlander would tow every bit of the 5000lbs. (We got the 2014 jeep grand cherokee).
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-18-2014, 11:11 AM Reply   
The Honda Pilot is similar to the highlander, but has a tow capacity of 4,500lbs. The Honda Ridgeline, the truck version can do 5,000lbs. If you don't need a third row (I thought I did when we had our first kid and bought a pilot, but was wrong) a Ridgeline is more flexible in what you can do with it. I'm sure borrowing your friend's trucks has taught you what good a truck is. A Ridgeline is a good cross over truck. It drives like a car, is roomy inside, and has a bed for light duty stuff, plus oh yeah, it can tow your boat.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-18-2014, 4:18 PM Reply   
you can tow it with anything you want... will it tow well? That depends what you consider "well" is... which seems to be relative to the particular person haha.

Long distances, I wouldnt, I would just get frustrated going 40 up hills (but thats just me).
Short distances, why not.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-18-2014, 4:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
you can tow it with anything you want... will it tow well? That depends what you consider "well" is... which seems to be relative to the particular person haha.

Long distances, I wouldnt, I would just get frustrated going 40 up hills (but thats just me).
Short distances, why not.
Totally agree with you. If it is short there is less of a chance to do any long term damage. I have no doubt the Toyota drive line will handle the load.

For me it comes down to stopping. I once saw a 4runner pulling a Moomba XLV and his brakes were glowing hotter than the sun. Had to laugh when I saw the look on his face.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-19-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
There can only be one highlander
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-19-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
By my count there are at least 1.4 million Highlanders in the US alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander#Sales

Sorry MacLeod
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-19-2014, 12:42 PM Reply   
Why in the heck does anyone post a towing thread without mentioning WHAT they will be towing. There is a bit of a difference between a small ski direct drive and a 24+ foot Vdrive wake boat. No intelligent conversation can ever be had about towing and vehicles without knowing WHAT you will be towing and HOW FAR.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-19-2014, 12:45 PM Reply   
According to his profile, it is a 88 SN2001.
The boat itself sans gear is supposed to way 2350lbs. But you also have to add in gear, gas, trailer, etc. I'd say a 3k towing capacity should haul that around, 3.5-4k to be safe.

Last edited by phathom; 02-19-2014 at 12:49 PM.